How much $ to make a pickup?

Doughboy

I'm just curious as to how much a company like Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan can make a PU for? They get everything in bulk, so it should be a lot cheaper than a regular person making one.

I'd venture to say $2-3 a PU?

Absolutely, and that is why you are getting much better value for similar quality from places like GFS, Tonerider, Bill Lawrence and IronGear.

With the big boys you are paying for lots of ads, the packaging, the website, Yngwie's endorsement deal, and overhead. Add to that the middleman needs to make about $20 per just to stay alive. I'd venture a guess that Guitard Center and Musician's Fiend are only paying 40 bucks for the standard fodder. I sell my custom winds for about $60 - $65, but I'm the one standing there doing the winding, which is more time consuming than what the big boys do, where they whip out hundreds a day.

Once you cobble together a winder, get the required parts, get past the learning curve of breaking wire and tensioning and get you a decent wax potting setup, you'll have spent well more than the $120 to $200 a good set will cost. I know it chafes to spend it when you don't know what you are getting or how it will sound with your rig, but it is  really a fair price for the principal tone and sound generating device in the guitar.

I know a guy that make bang on PAF repros on original gibson winders and charges $400 a pair. Each part is individually built to vintage spec and he has special wire built specifically for him. He's back logged with demand.

Peace
Shannon

hmm
what with this economy and the rising prices of big name items, this seems like a good area for buisness if you know what youre doing

Depends on what the parts are.  Basic wire and stuff, sure that's cheap, but pickup covers or other items that require special tooling can get pretty spendy - at least when you consider they are up front costs with little guarantee of a return should the product line be a flop.  Then there is the time and money spent in development, followed by pre-production, and then full scale production.  Little of what Dimarzio makes is technically simple, most of it is quite complex.  If someone could make an identical product for less they would.

But rather than looking at the big manufacturers like Dimarzio, or Seymour Duncan and the like just look at Joe Barden's pickups.  They are pretty straightforward from a 'parts' standpoint, but just try to build a set yourself.  The devil is in the details.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Dimarzio, especially the Virtual PAFs, and have owned many other of their pickups, but i also like the GFS stuff too (their lipsticks, and the Mean 90 are just plain good  pickups) but they are very basic designs mass produced and therefore priced accordingly.  If GFS tried to charge more then rest assured someone else would come along and sell something similar for cheaper.

Edit:  Try not to think of someone 'overcharging' as any sort of crime, instead think of it as an opportunity for someone else  (maybe you.)

Shannon said:
I know a guy that make bang on PAF repros on original gibson winders and charges $400 a pair. Each part is individually built to vintage spec and he has special wire built specifically for him. He's back logged with demand.

Peace
Shannon

You must be talking about the folks over at ThroBak?  If it is, have you heard those pickups live? 
I have listened to the clips but for that kind of bank, I would like to hear them in person...
:rock-on:

Black Dog said:
Shannon said:

Peace
Shannon

You must be talking about the folks over at ThroBak?  If it is, have you heard those pickups live? 
I have listened to the clips but for that kind of bank, I would like to hear them in person...
:rock-on:

Indeed, and also Dave Stevens. I would love to hear either set live. Dave has more and better clips, as he avoids the whole youtube compression issues in the main (he has a couple of videos).  Unfortunately, I'm not going to pony up for either set to put in my Epiphione..... :)

I've been a development engineer (auto industry) for quite a while. The numbers vary from industry to industry but when developing a new part the answer often sounds something like 'The first one will cost about $250,000. The 2nd one will cost about $5."

DesmoDog said:
I've been a development engineer (auto industry) for quite a while. The numbers vary from industry to industry but when developing a new part the answer often sounds something like 'The first one will cost about $250,000. The 2nd one will cost about $5."

well with products that are cast or forged even if the design is final the first one will need molds and all the other equipment that goes along with that and thats expensive. i know an old tool and die maker who is retired. he still does odd jobs as long as the customer is paying over $100/hr. if that gives you an idea of the money he is used to charging when making dies and molds.

Back