How about a special run of chrome bodies?

ruscio

Ibanez has finally gotten their "chromeboy" JS models into regular production, albeit in pretty limited numbers, over the past 6 years or so. The finish seems to be durable, unlike some of the earlier attempts they'd made. Rich Harris, at Ibanez Rules, is convinced that they're using the Alsa "easy chrome" paint and then a softer paint protective finish that's self-healing (his notes on this are here). After craving a chromeboy for many years, I finally pulled the trigger this month and am completely in love with this guitar. This pic into a mirror captured the guitar reflected within itself a couple of times:

Ibanez JS3CR 2024-08-21 Mirror.jpg

Any chance Warmoth would consider doing a special run of chrome bodies? I'm guessing the market is small, and that Alsa paint is pretty pricey, but I also think that small market would be willing to pay for Warmoth quality and uniqueness. I'd want a strat and/or soloist body like this!

While a novel idea, I can’t even imagine the cost in labor to do this, and still provide a warranty. Swatch has said numerous times how the finish is prone to corrosion. If there’s a profitable way to do this finish that withstand ongoing playing, I’m all ears.

While a novel idea, I can’t even imagine the cost in labor to do this, and still provide a warranty. Swatch has said numerous times how the finish is prone to corrosion. If there’s a profitable way to do this finish that withstand ongoing playing, I’m all ears.
I'm not sure how well it will withstand playing, but I think the corrosion/peeling/flaking issues on early models made just for Joe was because there was no clear coat, and they were actually dipping a non-wooden guitar body in molten chrome. It just didn't adhere well or for very long. Apparently it's a much different process now, paint on wood. Looks expensive but with good results. The protective layer seems to be a really important part of the process, too, to get something softer and self-healing over something you really don't want exposed to chips or scratches.

Congratulations on your new guitar.
Is it a left-handed model, or is it a mirror image in the photo?

I did a search for Alsa chrome as I had not heard of it before, a US-centric thing, I think and it doesn't ship to where I am. But there are other similar products available here.

As it is available in spray cans, another way you could get a Warmoth in a similar finish would be to get an unfinished or DIY ready to paint body and DIY the finish. What say you @Spud ?

I did a search for Alsa chrome as I had not heard of it before, a US-centric thing, I think and it doesn't ship to where I am. But there are other similar products available here.

As it is available in spray cans, another way you could get a Warmoth in a similar finish would be to get an unfinished or DIY ready to paint body and DIY the finish. What say you @Spud ?
Thanks, that’s mirror image. They don’t offer this as a lefty.

I say why not!!

Its like 100 bucks just to do baby shoes. Let's say a surface area of 10 inches. A strat has surface area of say 600 . 60 x 100 = 6000. Phew that can't be right. Where's spud we need a math wiz.

Last edited:
How much are you willing to pay?

I'm being serious. I would love to know what you pain-point is for a chromed (aka Satch) or bronzed (aka Robbie Robertson) body.
Let me think about it, I'll give you a serious response. Thanks for considering this if you folks can make the math work.

How much are you willing to pay?

I'm being serious. I would love to know what you pain-point is for a chromed (aka Satch) or bronzed (aka Robbie Robertson) body.
I'd be willing to pay $1,000 for a chrome strat, $1,200 for a chrome soloist. Neck with matching headstock would be cool, too, and of course that would need the biggest, shiniest SS frets! Personally, I'm not interested in a bronzed guitar.

I could easily see that price point being double what is referenced knowing what it takes to produce such a finish, and in such a way as it is durable for use. There’s a reason why only a handful at a time have been produced by Ibanez, and for a specific artist. Making a production run of these will require a considerable amount of labor set aside for them, resulting in “opportunity cost” from the displacement of normal production runs. After that, you then have the extremely strong likelihood that damage incurred by misuse of end users results in complaints and demands for returns/refunds. If I were doing these, the only way that I could justify wer to make them “Non-Returnable” up front with clear signed disclaimers.

There are far more variables to go wrong in a guitar body than a pair of baby shoes, ie; cutaway outer edges, inner edges, neck plate compression on the plate edges, and don’t even get me started on what could go wrong with the end user drilling out things like output jack mounting screw holes, pickguard screw holes, 6-hole trem mounting screw holes, Humbucker mounting screw holes, etc….

This has “nightmare” written all over it.

Last edited:
I could easily see that price point being double what is referenced knowing what it takes to produce such a finish, and in such a way as it is durable for use. There’s a reason why only a handful at a time have been produced by Ibanez, and for a specific artist. Making a production run of these will require a considerable amount of labor set aside for them, resulting in “opportunity cost” from the displacement of normal production runs. After that, you then have the extremely strong likelihood that damage incurred by misuse of end users results in complaints and demands for returns/refunds. If I were doing these, the only way that I could justify wer to make them “Non-Returnable” up front with clear signed disclaimers.

There are far more variables to go wrong in a guitar body than a pair of baby shoes, ie; cutaway outer edges, inner edges, neck plate compression on the plate edges, and don’t even get me started on what could go wrong with the end user drilling out things like output jack mounting screw holes, pickguard screw holes, 6-hole trem mounting screw holes, Humbucker mounting screw holes, etc….

This has “nightmare” written all over it.
You know what, you make a lot of good points here, maybe not worth the risk--for Warmoth or customers.

Take into consideration, in Ibanez’ case for their Satch models, they likely pre drilled all holes prior to applying finish, way before Satch or his tech got it for final setup.

This is a considerable detail when noting the difference of selling “guitars” versus selling “parts”.

Back