Pewter Tele with Roasted Maple neck - Beware of Metallic Paint!

Stringwing

I wanted to build a guitar, I own a few guitars and have swapped out a few components on some of them over the years; but have never actually built a guitar (i.e. parted together en entire guitar). I looked at buying used part or bodies and necks from Fender. I came across Warmoth! I read a lot on this forum and watch a bunch of Warmoth's videos about their products. And yep, I was going to build a full custom, guitar . So back in April I ordered my first Warmoth guitar (Body and Neck). I received my guitar the other day (late Aug) and it looks fantastic!! EXCEPT there was a small black dot right on the front under the f-hole.... and upon further inspection, the black dot was under the clear coat...

I contact Warmoth and was basically told that this imperfection happens with metallic paints and this size imperfection is deemed acceptable. If I wanted to return it for a refund I could, but that was it. Keep it with the defect (paid $295 for the paint job alone, $220 for paint and $75 for the edge masking) or return it for a refund (no guitar body, would have to reorder and wait and hope the 2nd one came out right or another path altogether).

I was super bummed, I waited since April for this guitar and then it finally arrives and there is a defect, not big but right on the front clearly visible. I had debated painting it myself as I have experience with Automotive painting, but I ultimately decided that Warmoth would do a great job because they have the years of experience with guitar painting, plus it was less work for me. Well, maybe I should have painted it myself and saved the $295.

Don't get me wrong, the guitar is great!! The neck is so awesome and the body is nearly flawless. I have decided to keep it and just swallow the fact there is a 1mm black spot in the front center of body. Plus side: the black spot looks like a wolf head up close.  I cannot wait to get it all put together and play it!!

Just thought I'd share my experience and warning about the metallic paints can have noticeable defects.

Chambered Tele body with f-hole
Body and cap wood: Black Korina
Paint: Metallic Pewter with tiny custom black wolf head - masked edge
Pickguard: white pearloid
Neck: Roasted Maple with abalone dot inlays narrow tall SS frets
Tuners: black Fender locking
Bridge: Fender American Professional Tele Bridge - black powder coated
Pickups: Fender V-Mod Tele (with Fender pots and caps)
Hardware: all black Tele hardware

Attachments

• mocked up front.jpg
    mocked up front.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 578
  • down the neck.jpg
    down the neck.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 301
  • 20200831_201220.jpg
    20200831_201220.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 557
  • mircoscope.jpg
    mircoscope.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 334
At least it matches your hardware!

If it’s not what you want, return it. Big, small, doesn’t matter. What does matter is you invested your hard earned cash so make sure you’re happy with it.

It seems the W will make it right. Not sure what you were expecting them to do other than offer a refund.

Looks to me like the metallic paint is missing, but that the clear filled up the hole.  That is interesting. 

I would not accept that.  Return it and have them build another.  I know it will delay the build but at least you will have want you want

That is a bummer! I hadn't heard of that happening. Maybe that will become it's name ... the Wolf Tele!

It is not ideal, but obviously it is a small imperfection. I will keep it because since it is so small it is not worth sending it back, ordering a new one and waiting 2 months or so for the new one and plus paying for shipping again to have it sent to me. They would probably put it in the showcase at a discount due to the defect, and then someone else would have have a similar guitar to mine  :icon_tongue:p

I do know, IF I do ever buy from Warmoth, I will not be paying for a metallic paint job.

It is a little surprising that Warmoth's quality standards says that is acceptable to send out to a customer that paid full price. In my opinion it should have been caught and fixed before they clear coated it.

The main reason I posted was first to warn others that may be considering a metallic paint job to expect it may come with a small defect due to the process. And second reason was to show off the guitar, because it is a great looking guitar, at least in my opinion.

Back