Homemade 1x12 guitar cab

M

metalman22105

So... I decided that I needed a 1x12 cab for home and recording use, and I decided to build my own. Should be a fun project! I'll post pics along the way. Has anyone else built their own cabs? I'm going with a closed-back configuration, with either a celestion G12T-100, or an Eminence Texas Heat for the speaker, haven't decided yet... I already have the celestion, so I'll probably start with that, and maybe get the Eminence later. Anyone else have any pics of homemade cabs?

That's great.  I was going to make my own 4x12, but I found a great cab at a price that I couldn't resist.  Looking forward to pics.

I've built a load of cabs over the years - probably about 50.  My favorite (and the only one I kept) was a 1x12 - I think these sound the best for stage and recording because there is only one source for the mic to pickup and you don't get strange-ass phasing problems.

I'll look up the specs for my 1x12 design - might even have a drawing that I can scan.  Until then, here's some of what I learned:

1 - titetbond III with butt joints and screws holds just fine for a 1x12.  I tested this with a 1 story drop test (dropped a cab off a roof onto concrete).  Held up just fine.
2 - the Tolex application is the most annoying part.  Don't use the 3M spray can glue - instead use the brush-on stuff from antique electronic supply.  Even better are some brush/spray on products that go on thick and look like tolex.  If I were still building amps and cabs today I'd try this stuff out and see how it went:  http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119
3 - use canvas pliers to put on the grill cloth and a lot of staples.  Put the staples on the edge (not the back) and use about 3 every inch or so.  Align the top edge by creasing the cloth along a thread line, and staple it on to the baffle board along the top.  Then stretch it over the bottom with the canvas pliers and stable it again.  Then line up and staple the sides.
4 - hardware varies greatly in price.  If you're just building one, you can get the ripoff stuff, er I mean 'the expensive stuff' from mojo-tone.  But there's better and cheaper stuff from ohio travel bag and antique electronic supply and others.
5 - solder your connections  :eek:ccasion14:
6 - use a router table.
7 - use 't' nuts - and make sure you install them before you put on the grill cloth  :evil4:  :doh:
8 - I routed the baffle board edges with a 1/8 radius - allows the grill cloth to stretch better.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips Fly, that helps a lot! What wood do you like to use for cabs?

metalman22105 said:
Awesome! Thanks for the tips Fly, that helps a lot! What wood do you like to use for cabs?

I'd wait til Mayfly replies but I'm guessing mariner ply - about 8 ply and 3/4 inch thick!

OzziePete said:
metalman22105 said:

I'd wait til Mayfly replies but I'm guessing mariner ply - about 8 ply and 3/4 inch thick!

Yea, I used 8 ply 3/4" birch - even for the back strips in open backed designs.  works great and looks beefy (read - looks quality)

metalman22105 said:

Since this is a closed back I'm assuming you're looking for it to be good for heavy distortion (plus your name is Metalman...) so stay away from solid woods, just get the absolute best quality plywood you can afford, and thicker the better. You don't want the wood to "sound" like anything, you want it stiff and non-resonant for a tight sound. If the cab is just for clean tones and maybe leads, then you could think about solid wood, or if you're willing to risk your sound being coloured in an unpredictable way (might turn out fine, but probably won't).

I haven't built any cabs myself, but the company I work for used to manufacture PA speaker boxes and the guys I've spoken with really know their stuff.

AToE said:
metalman22105 said:

Since this is a closed back I'm assuming you're looking for it to be good for heavy distortion (plus your name is Metalman...) so stay away from solid woods, just get the absolute best quality plywood you can afford, and thicker the better. You don't want the wood to "sound" like anything, you want it stiff and non-resonant for a tight sound. If the cab is just for clean tones and maybe leads, then you could think about solid wood, or if you're willing to risk your sound being coloured in an unpredictable way (might turn out fine, but probably won't).

I haven't built any cabs myself, but the company I work for used to manufacture PA speaker boxes and the guys I've spoken with really know their stuff.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Revolution-4x12-Speaker-Cabinet-602500-i1153156.gc
Hmmm... then Krank Cabs must not be that good then, because they are solid wood...  :icon_thumright:
I'm keeding, I'm keeding!  They are the best-sounding 4x12's I have ever heard, I think they sound really tight, with full bass and good, solid tone. (that's my opinion of course)
My 1x12 will be solid wood as well.

metalman22105 said:
AToE said:
metalman22105 said:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Revolution-4x12-Speaker-Cabinet-602500-i1153156.gc
Hmmm... then Krank Cabs must not be that good then, because they are solid wood...  :icon_thumright:
I'm keeding, I'm keeding!  They are the best-sounding 4x12's I have ever heard, I think they sound really tight, with full bass and good, solid tone. (that's my opinion of course)
My 1x12 will be solid wood as well.
Fair enough - we used to stock Krank and I wasn't overly impressed myself, but taste is taste.
Regardless, if you're going close to 2" thick on the wood you should be okay, thinner than that and I would seriously recommend quality laminate. The difference will be when you hit low notes, especially palm muted. If you wind up with too resonant a wood it will sound flabby. Could work out fine though just a suggestion for maximum tightness.

Regarding the wood, you're gonna want what is called "Marine-grade Birch," which is 8 to 13 ply, 3/4" thick.  I found it at a local "hard wood" supplier.  They also had all the other woods W makes guitars from, like wenge, purpleheart, bloodwood, korina, etc.  You probably have one in your community.  I found this store by Google.

You also want to assemble it with "biscuits."  Ryobi makes a "biscuit cutter" and you can buy the biscuits, both at Home Depot.  The Ryobi cutter is like $99.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Hey, mayfly, you think that spray on vinyl that is used for cars would work instead of using Tolex?

Hell man -  I don't know!  :dontknow:  :evil4: But I may try the spray on stuff I mentioned above and see if that's ok.  I've got a couple of amp chassis that need head boxes made so I may go that route...  :eek:ccasion14:

mayfly said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Hey, mayfly, you think that spray on vinyl that is used for cars would work instead of using Tolex?

Hell man -  I don't know!  :dontknow:  :evil4: But I may try the spray on stuff I mentioned above and see if that's ok.   I've got a couple of amp chassis that need head boxes made so I may go that route...  :eek:ccasion14:
:doh:  Should have read a bit more.  :laughing7:

Ok guys, here's some pics of the cab so far, except I can't decide if I want it vertical or horizontal..... here's some pics, opinions on vertical or horizontal would be appreciated...
Horizontal:
3705185223_0e159a89c0.jpg

3705992766_81214a814c.jpg

Vertical:
3705185261_aec4ac369c.jpg

3705185251_63a8a266f8.jpg

Yeah, I know, it's a beast...

Haha, I didn't think of that, but that's a good reason!  :eek:ccasion14:

Back