Hmm... another random thing from Gibson.

hannaugh said:
What happened with your 335?  Is there another thread about it?

It's a long story thats not on this forum, but there is a 38 page post about the screw ups on the limited run of the Alex Lifeson ES-355 on the Gibson forum. and on the Les Paul Forum.
To name a few things and to keep it short, Necks not made right, hardware thats not made right, poor paint jobs, binding falling off.
I got lucky, Mine just needed a new nut, bridge and trem arm and a good setup, which I did myself. But you should not need to replace new parts on a new guitar that costs 4K.
I called customer service to try and get a replace trem arm and was told no such model guitar was made. :sad1:

Oh man, that's a new one!  There was no such model made.  Ridiculous.  Gibson is insane. 

Here is one of the screw ups. This is the neck on my 355
whats wrong with this picture?

300 necks were made like this.
DSC00186.JPG

This just reinforces the relief I feel at having chosen to build a Warmoth rather than buy an LP from Gibson. 

Crappy said:
Here is one of the screw ups. This is the neck on my 355
whats wrong with this picture?

300 necks were made like this.
DSC00186.JPG

No way they could be that stupid? :doh:
Seriously?

That neck looks like a piece of plastic to me though.

Where on earth do you find projectile vomit smileys?  It would be funny if the head would spin around first! 

bpmorton777 said:
Gibson's plan for economic groth

1) make fugly a**ed guitars that not too many people will buy except collectors.
2) stash a few away in a vault somewhere.
3) sell them in 30years as vintage NOS guitars and make a killing on them after they become "classics"

:doh:

Brian

I'm sure that was Gibson's plans back in the 70s when they came out with the S1 and *yuck* the Marauder, so what's stopping them doing the same thing nowadays!  :doh:

God, that's awful.  How is it even possible to get the volute that far off??

Rick said:
Are all the inlays off?  If so, it's an error.

It's not the inlays
It's the placement of the volute. It should be at the nut, not in the middle of the first fret.

Rick said:
Oh now I see it.  they messed up.  did you get your money back?

No I still have the guitar, the volute doesn't get in my way. But for someone else it might be a pain.
It's a great sounding guitar and alot of fun to play.
I was lucky everything body wise was good. For alot of other people they were not so lucky. A few parts were replaced by me, nut, bridge, trem arm and it needed a good setup. every screw on this thing was loose.
The point to this whole thing is you are paying for a name, The Gibson name, and god help you if you need something from them, you are on your own.

Crappy said:
Rick said:
Oh now I see it.  they messed up.  did you get your money back?

No I still have the guitar, the volute doesn't get in my way. But for someone else it might be a pain.
It's a great sounding guitar and alot of fun to play.
I was lucky everything body wise was good. For alot of other people they were not so lucky. A few parts were replaced by me, nut, bridge, trem arm and it needed a good setup. every screw on this thing was loose.
The point to this whole thing is you are paying for a name, The Gibson name, and god help you if you need something from them, you are on your own.

Why?
You had every right to get your money back and buy a new one. That kind of flaw would probably hurt you resale value as well if you ever wanted to sell it.

The thing is they did this to the whole run of 300 guitars

At the time some people were waiting for an answer or a fix from Gibson which they said they would look into. (I was one of those people)
As time went by Gibson said you are on your own and we are not fixing it as there is nothing wrong with them.
But if you like you can send it in for repair at a cost to the owner to have the neck replaced.

Now as for resale value it won't hurt one bit. Here is why
1) It has the Gibson name on it. (It has to be good. :sad:) People do think this way.
2)It was a limited run of 300 guitars (So there are not that many out there)
3) It plays and sounds great (I got lucky, but wouldn't want to try my luck again)

Wow, that volute misplacement is one heck of  mistake to make - and on 300 guitars it seems like a major production goof up or the artist demanded it be done that way.

Has anyone attempted contacting Lifeson's management and letting them know that there's 300 guitars with a massive error on it - or finding out if he OK'd the guitars to be built that way?

Surprised no one has engaged a lawyer to track down all 300 owners and launch a class action.

Realistically that neck is not up to even the most basic standards. It will be a pain in the thumb for quite a few players being placed right on the first fret and may cause some injury. (Repetitive strain injury anyone?  :icon_scratch:  )

Back