Hipshot open gear tuners.

J.D.ROOST

So I just want to give some props to the Hipshot tuners. I did the locking open gears with the non screw UMP kit. Had them installed in my new Warmoth neck in less than 10 minutes. I was very doubtful the plates would hold the tuners steady...but so far it's been perfect (been hitting the bar hard). Unless you guys can tell me they shift or something I can't see myself ever drilling into a new neck again. So refreshing to have a product work as advertised right out of the box.

Indeed ... they are good, and the tuning buttons can be swapped out.  Tone ninja makes replacements as does hipshot themselves ... if you’re into that kind of upgrade.
Designed here in NY.  Been using them on every guitar for over 15 years.  Yeah they work and their customer service is excellent.

Love the Hipshot open gear locking tuners. Use them on all my builds.

Bill, tgo

Last edited:
I have the closed-back locking tuners on my mooncaster and I love them too. They are very stable and tune well, and they are way way lighter than the gotohs I originally purchased.

cromulent said:
Not to hijack the thread, but what do y'all think about the Ratio tuners?

I was thinking about them for my soloist build and decided against because I've already got 2 axes, with 2 more by the end of the year. As great as it would be to have an e that I didn't have to spin and spin to make a change, and E, g that didn't have to be tuned with fractions of a degree adjustments ... Putting ratios on 4 guitars is not an inexpensive proposition.

Sadie-f said:
cromulent said:
Not to hijack the thread, but what do y'all think about the Ratio tuners?

I was thinking about them for my soloist build and decided against because I've already got 2 axes, with 2 more by the end of the year. As great as it would be to have an e that I didn't have to spin and spin to make a change, and E, g that didn't have to be tuned with fractions of a degree adjustments ... Putting ratios on 4 guitars is not an inexpensive proposition.

I sprung for a set for my upcoming (and first) build.  I've heard great things but only from one person so curious what others think.  I mostly just hope they don't add too much weight...

Hipshot open gear tuners appeal to the nerd/technical part of me.

Planet waves auto trim tuners do as well.

I don't change tuners unless they slip, which even my cheapest guitars have yet to do.

I used schallers on my first build because it was '99 and the internet was still a baby, so I bought them locally.

My second build got the planet waves.  I love these!

My new build I'd getting gotoh mgt lockers, only because I want all Cosmo black hardware.  I would have done the hipshots if I was going chrome or black.

Before hipshots, i used planet waves too.  Before that, Gotoh's.  Yeah, I'm a nerd too.

Also use Hipshots with the UMP system. I have locking, non locking, open back, closed back, staggered, non-staggered. All work wonderfully. I also like that you can get non-metal buttons in different varieties from both Hipshot and other makers.

Back