Hipshot Hardtail Bridge Question

Cactus Jack

I'm interested in the Hipshot modern hardtail bridge. The drop in replacement for the American 2 1/16" bridge, not the vintage model. https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/6-string-fixed-bridges/products/fixed-guitar-bridge

However, I've read a lot of issues specific to Warmoth bodies such as the bridges being too low, too high, and multiple folks unable to intonate correctly. Regarding intonation the most common complaint I've read about is the saddles do not have enough travel. With that said, others seem to have no issues at all.

Do these bridges work for the standard flat top American Standard Warmoth bodies? Which height works the best, .125 or .175? For those that have successfully installed them, did you need to compromise or change your standard setup? Are there any other issues to be aware of?

Thanks for the insight.

If no one chimes in, I don’t have any experience with that bridge, but it might be worth a call to hip shot? Whenever I called them with tech question they had an answer.

I’ve got a couple of those bridges on my Warmoth’s - both .125 and .175 and would choose the thicker .175 base plate version for comfort, as the saddles will sit flatter.

On the thinner version, the saddle corners are a bit annoying due to the angle caused by the action - and I have my action lowish.

Not sure this helps but when I talked to Warmoth's customer reps, they told me anything is possible regarding Hipshot tremolos (not hardtail) - however, I had to send mine in for fitting. Not sure how they handle hardtails. Regardless, I also wanted to say that the Hardtail bridge plays really nicely - I love it!

I put a .125" on a Warmoth Vintage Strat body and found I couldn't get a suitably high action, even with the saddles pegged.  With the .175" the action is perfect with plenty of adjustment in both directions.

Perfect timing!
I was looking at that exact hardtail bridge yesterday while spec'ing a Soloist body and couldn't tell for sure if it would be a drop in replacement for the Fender American Standard/Modern Hardtail bridge routing.
I ended up getting a fairly inexpensive Kluson bridge instead, but if the Hipshot fits I'd much rather use that (look more comfortable like PRS bridges, and more stable with saddles being unable to move sideways).

I ended up purchasing a Hipshot bridge and it is not a drop in replacement for the Fender American Standard route. See the pic and comments in the first post of my build thread.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32509.0

Cactus Jack said:
I ended up purchasing a Hipshot bridge and it is not a drop in replacement for the Fender American Standard route. See the pic and comments in the first post of my build thread.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32509.0

After finding out Hipshot is not a drop in replacement I turned to Kluson. Their bridge is not only a drop in replacement, it's about 2/3's the cost of the Hipshot. I was worried about purchasing an inexpensive bridge, but I was incredibly impressed with the product. The packaging was excellent, the bridge has some heft, and overall it's a quality piece of hardware.

VIOvRd6l.jpg
Cggv4xtl.jpg
UY9w5zCl.jpg
wo9MoAZl.jpg

Wow, I'll look more closely at those Kluson parts when I'm ready to do another project.

I got mine to work. If I remember correctly the two outer mounting hole were very slightly off but it still bolted up fine.

kvgqx8d.jpg

Back