Hey - what in-ear systems are you guys using?

mayfly

Epic Member
Hi folks,

Thinking of making the transition to in-ear monitors for the band. There are a big pile of choices out there. For those who have used them, I've got questions:

1 - Is wireless worth it?
2 - If you are using wireless, do you hear any latency?
3 - Do you typically run one monitor mix, or do you find you need 'more me' mixes for most band members?
4 - and finally: what are you using? Do you like it?

1 - It depends if you move a lot around on stage or not. I do move a lot and occasionnaly, me and the guitarist will go in the crowd, so in this case yes. My drummer has no benefits over being wireless so he uses a Rolls PM-351 mixer.

2 - I use a cheap digital one, because I wanted to try if i'd like it (sorry, can't remember the name), There is a bit of latency (about 20-25 ms), but the brain adjust iself to it. When it will die, it will be replaced by a proper Shure unit which operates in RF instead.

3 - We run a different mix for each musician. Nobody has the same needs, and it is the key for everyone to be comfortable and focus on the preformance.

4 - Cheap 2.4ghz wireless, but with Shure SE-215, which are good enough for me to hear clearly all I need to hear. My Drummer uses SE535 since he wants to hear more bass, and likes the sound to be better defined.

1. Yes, IEM's are absolutely worth it. They will save your ears, big time. No more going home with ringing ears. They will also save your voice and allow you to sing longer because you're never over-singing to hear yourself. The mobility to roam around on stage with no "blind spots" is nice too.

2. No.

3. Different mix for every musician is essential. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. In my band each person gets their own monitor mix from FOH (or monitor tech if we have one), plus a feed from the band's computer (controlled by the drummer) that has our backing tracks and click/cues (e.g. "keys in 1...2...3..4..."). Having the cues tightens up the performance A LOT. No need for a count-off from the drummer to start songs. Punches and breaks stay tight. Etc.

4. I use custom-molded Audio64 IEM's. For transmitter I use an old, cheap Carvin rig that isn't made anymore AFAIK. Works great!

Don't expect your first experience to be earth-moving. IEM's take a lot of getting used to. It's worth it.

Hi folks,

Thinking of making the transition to in-ear monitors for the band. There are a big pile of choices out there. For those who have used them, I've got questions:

1 - Is wireless worth it?
2 - If you are using wireless, do you hear any latency?
3 - Do you typically run one monitor mix, or do you find you need 'more me' mixes for most band members?
4 - and finally: what are you using? Do you like it?
1. It can be.
2. Not within practical means. If you move far away from your transmitter of course this can happen, just as it does with a wireless guitar system. Just keep in mind the impact is additive in nature.
3. ALWAYS unique mixes for everyone.
4. Not sure if you are referring to IEMS, the boards to interface them, etc.

I use custom molded JH Audio IEMs now since 2011. Awesome quality and sound. I have used them in a wired environment using Avioms, as well as wireless (a number of different systems). If I can stay put on stage, I much prefer wired due to 2 reasons:
1. better sound quality. Most wireless I have used get artifacts at times and yes I have had them die on me though I was told they were fully charged.
2. I get to have total control over my mix using the wired Avioms. With the wireless systems I have used, getting a usable mix takes 10x + longer as you have to stack up each input, then readjust to fine tune.

Not to mention, if you are using a venue others play at, you tend to start with what you are left (not true with Avioms as you can save your settings).
Just last week I was playing a bass gig and had the previous bass players wireless settings initially. It had all bass and click. Nothing else! (Now I know why that bass player lost his way when there was a change to the tempo and dynamics on the fly).

Getting to a decent usable mix took a few minutes. If the controls were at my fingers, it would take a few seconds.

A perfect compromise would be wireless with the ability for each person to control their own mix on the fly. They are out there, but pricy.

Another reason for individual mixes is not everyone's IEMs have the same frequency response. I'll take one of my current venues. A bunch of people have generic non-molded IEMs. The bass response in those is at least 10 fold less than with mine. My mix wouldn't work for them as well as vice versa.

This whole arena is unfortunately $$$ based. You get what you pay for. My current JH Audio IEM's (Laylas) I got the friends/family/local discount on and they were still $1700 or so. I use my previous 16Pros as backups and for video work needs.

I'd be glad to have a discussion on using IEMs live. I don't think you will have as much an issue as others as I recall you have done studio time. Using IEMs live is much like being in a studio.

Back