Hey all you tele fans...

Steve Howe has a great collection too.. I even own the steve howe collection book! :)
now how many famous guitarists/collectors have published a book on their collection!

callaway said:
I still don't understand why spending $130k on a Broadcaster is "worth it".

I think for some people, it's about touching history in a way.  I'm sure the guy who sold it to him isn't complaining.

OzziePete said:
At the end of the day, John5's collection will end up in some museum, as they are the only places that can guarantee the level of security and conservation when these instruments get much older. Either he, or the person who is bequeathed the collection, will end up loaning a lot of the instruments to a contemporary museum.

Actually, this has already happened.  Randy Bachman just last year sold his collection of vintage Gretsch guitars to the Gretsch company museum.  This was over three hundred instruments, and the total price was several million dollars.  

Good for Randy  :)

Lucky #007 said:
From a strict investment standpoint, if guitars keep appreciating the way they have been, vintage ones anyway, then I'd say it makes plenty of sense if you have the capital to purchase one.  I''d be a bit apprehensive about values with the economy the way it is, but you can definitely make a solid argument that that purchase is worth it without even going in to the enjoyment of owning an instrument like that.

+1.  There's a finite amount of the vintage ones.  They're not making anymore of them, well legit ones anyway.  Whether fire, flood, jealous girlfriends, etc., there's fewer of them everyday.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
callaway said:
I still don't understand why spending $130k on a Broadcaster is "worth it".

My wife thinks $400 is a fortune to spend on a guitar.  I bet he wrote a check, he had the cash in other words.
I spent around $1200 on my first Warmoth and that was almost 10 yrs ago... :tard:

I thought my wife was gonna have a stroke when I told her... :icon_biggrin:

forgive me for being a cynic, but just out of pure speculation; wouldn't it suck if you spent all that money on an old old old ass guitar, and it turned out that it played or sounded like crap. i mean honestly, if you were blindfolded and had someone hand you 10 different teles all with identical specs (one being a supremely old/rare/expensive one), would you actually be able to pck out that one "good" one? 'twould be an interesting experiment. i'll volunteer myself for the blindfold test if someone is willing to donate the guitars to me  :evil4:

Since there hasn't been a major electrical plant built in the last 35 years here in the Northeast, in a few more decades electricity is going to be a luxury... the United States no longer has the capacity to pull itself out of a major depression, because the engineers and resources are overseas already. "Collectables" ain't what they used to be, Gibbons owns a warehouse full of boards. At least they light easy, what with the nitrocellulose tinder pre-installed.

I'm inspired to make a serious "Cork-sniffer" Tele next..... Killer collection and a monster player!

rightintheface said:
forgive me for being a cynic, but just out of pure speculation; wouldn't it suck if you spent all that money on an old old old ass guitar, and it turned out that it played or sounded like crap. i mean honestly, if you were blindfolded and had someone hand you 10 different teles all with identical specs (one being a supremely old/rare/expensive one), would you actually be able to pck out that one "good" one? 'twould be an interesting experiment. i'll volunteer myself for the blindfold test if someone is willing to donate the guitars to me  :evil4:

Therein lies the moral dilemma.  Should one collect them never to be played, or should we play the hell out of 'em?  Judging from how careful he was with the case, and handled one of them with a diaper, he probably doesn't play them.  However, I like the idea of a person with the knowledge of the history, as well as being a player collecting them. 

I couldn't tell by feel or sound while blind folded which was which.  If anything I would guess the one that went out of tune easily and sounded like crap would be the older one.  A lot of this stuff is good old days nostalgia.  To my father, there will never be a sunburst prettier than his 60s Jaguar, which was probably mediocre at best.  Those vintage, hand wound pickups were notoriously inconsistent from set to set.  The modern re-issue versions and hot wound sets that try to recreate that sound, well, the sound they're recreating were the exceptions, not the rule.  Most were just pickups and finding a good one was a crapshoot.  What makes those valueable is the dwindling numbers and the fact they were the "ground floor" of guitar technology.  Look at the '59 LP.  Is it any different form a '60 LP?  Nope, just fewer of them. 

Unwound G said:
For us poor mortals, we will just have to keep modding our guitars to add freshness to them.  It's like a wife who reinvents her apprearances every now and them :laughing11:.

One advantage is the guitar doesn't bitch about you spending money on more guitars.... :toothy11:

I've been lucky, mine is somwhat tolerant of my guitar fetish. Doesn't understand, but tolerates.

I finished my strat, now I want to build a Tele.  I'll end up sleeping in the garage before this is over with....

blimpo said:
Unwound G said:
For us poor mortals, we will just have to keep modding our guitars to add freshness to them.  It's like a wife who reinvents her apprearances every now and them :laughing11:.

One advantage is the guitar doesn't bitch about you spending money on more guitars.... :toothy11:

I've been lucky, mine is somwhat tolerant of my guitar fetish. Doesn't understand, but tolerates.

I finished my strat, now I want to build a Tele.  I'll end up sleeping in the garage before this is over with....
:laughing11:

Back