Hey all you tele fans...

Xplorervoodoo

Check out John5 showing off his Telecaster collection...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9TfdIsak1Y&feature=channel

Pretty interesting stuff.

I read an article about this guy a few years ago.  He's apparently an amazingly good bluegrass player besides being a shredder.

Yep, John5 is the man, even to a country boy like me.

Thanks for posting that!

I still don't understand why spending $130k on a Broadcaster is "worth it".

Well, to you and I it's not - but it is to him.  And you gotta admit he's a bit, er, strange  :)

so could that tele behind him with 1 dog ear p90 and skull inlay on the 12th be a warmoth?  :icon_biggrin:

From a strict investment standpoint, if guitars keep appreciating the way they have been, vintage ones anyway, then I'd say it makes plenty of sense if you have the capital to purchase one.  I''d be a bit apprehensive about values with the economy the way it is, but you can definitely make a solid argument that that purchase is worth it without even going in to the enjoyment of owning an instrument like that.

He is truly an awesome guitar player for sure. And also looks like the reason all the old tele's are disappearing, he's buying them all up... :doh:

Lucky #007 said:
From a strict investment standpoint, if guitars keep appreciating the way they have been, vintage ones anyway, then I'd say it makes plenty of sense if you have the capital to purchase one.  I''d be a bit apprehensive about values with the economy the way it is, but you can definitely make a solid argument that that purchase is worth it without even going in to the enjoyment of owning an instrument like that.

I guess I'm of the persuasion that guitars should be played, cars should be driven, records should be listened to, etc... otherwise you're any one of a number of 4-letter words. Just seems ironic that one of the first solidbody electrics ever made should never be played. So is it really worth anything because it isn't fulfilling its purpose?

As has been said about guitars forever, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  Hell, the man never said he doesn't play it.  Probably doesn't leave his house, but, even if he says otherwise, I'd bet the temptation sitting at home alone in the wee hours of the night is more than one  man can bare.  That and it's sitting in a hardshell case and not glass case which would lead me to believe he wants it accessible.

If you've got the money, buy'em.

I don't, but I don't feel deprived.

The guitars I own are better than me, so...

And also looks like the reason all the old tele's are disappearing, he's buying them all up...

Billy Gibbons is another.  It's been said that he owns in the neighborhood of 1200 Esquires. That has got to be most of them.

guitlouie said:
And also looks like the reason all the old tele's are disappearing, he's buying them all up...

Billy Gibbons is another.  It's been said that he owns in the neighborhood of 1200 Esquires. That has got to be most of them.
For sure, he has warehouses full of guitars and cars and bikes. He talks about it in the book he wrote, he actually has people that scour the world over looking for old guitars for him.. :doh:

For us poor mortals, we will just have to keep modding our guitars to add freshness to them.  It's like a wife who reinvents her apprearances every now and them :laughing11:.

At least my Warmoth Tele w/Callaham bridge actually intonates, which is more than can be said of most of those "collectible" Teles.

I think it's good that someone with the money has been going out and warehousing the important iconic models of guitars around.

At the end of the day, John5's collection will end up in some museum, as they are the only places that can guarantee the level of security and conservation when these instruments get much older. Either he, or the person who is bequeathed the collection, will end up loaning a lot of the instruments to a contemporary museum.

That will be better than the instruments falling to pieces and modded beyond recognition.

I believe that Keith Richards, David Gilmour & Pete Townshend also own sizeable collections of guitars.

But for the average player, these sort of guitars are way beyond our means and it's better we forget about them or run the risk of being permanently depressed that we haven't got THE model we desire.

Some of these early Teles/Broadcaster/ Esquires have issues with the stability of the neck as Leo initially tried to have models without truss rods. Also it is very hard to authenticate these guitars, pots may have been replaced, sometimes even pickups or necks. It's best left to experts to decide the provenance, like the art experts do with art works that surface many years after the painter did the work. That sort of research can only be done if you have the means to engage an expert, and get the guitar proven. If you are someone prepared to pay $130K for an old guitar, you might as well fork out an extra $ or two to get it properly assessed.

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick is the same way, he has several rare Gibson Explorers from '58 and '59. And even a rare Gibson Modern reportedly...

Back