Help with alternatives to Seymour Duncan Triple Shot Pickup Ring

Hi. I am getting a soloist body with HSH pickup configuration and a master volume and master tone with push/push pots. The pickups I am getting is Custom Custom for the Bridge, Pearly Gates for the Neck and Quarter Pound Strat Middle RWRP (Tapped) for the middle strat pickup. I am also getting an Graph Tech Acousti-Phonic Piezo system. I wanna get this guitar as versatile as possible, so I was initially going to get the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot Mounting Ring, to have many different tonal options for my humbuckers, but now I want to wood mount the pickups and rather get mini switches. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to have the possibilities of splitting the coils, putting the pickups in series/parallel and in/out of phase. Is some of these perhaps not useful and I can ditch them? I want to get as few mini switches as possible, and use my two push/push pots as effective as possible. I will anyways need a 3-way switch for my piezo system and either a mini-switch or use the one pot for my tapped single coil pickup. Maybe only a single mini switch like Guthrie Govan has, which makes the humbuckers single coil when chosen with the pickup selector is a good option?. Hope someone can help me out.
Best Regards, Marius.

What were you originally planning to use the push pulls for?

Are they DPDT?

Are you using a Superswitch for a selector switch?

What are the must have pickup selections?

Final thoughts overly complicated wiring and switching schemes for maximum versatility, in reality, may be more bother than they are worth as they rarely get used.

stratamania said:
Final thoughts overly complicated wiring and switching schemes for maximum versatility, in reality, may be more bother than they are worth as they rarely get used.

Like Stratamania says ...

An option could be that you could wire some small switches that allows for the things you're planning and place them temporary in the control cavity (without the cover attached). Then try them out while they're not permanently attached in holes drilled in the body. Then after some time playing with them you will find out what sounds you're really using and which you're are not. This might guide you to the point where you might perhaps realise that you don't really use some sounds. And eventually you could lose one of the switches. Since it's not permanently drilled in the body no harm is done. And the one switch that you do actually use often can now be permanently attached by drilling an appropriate hole.

Or you could try Fender's S1-switch(es) as those allows for some intricate switching. Two would give you even more options.

But by having temporary mini switches in the back you will find out what wiring scheme you really need.

Triple shots give you both coils series, both coils parallel, and either coil split. To replicate that with mini switches, each pickup needs one 3-way for series/split/parallel, and a 2-way for selecting which coil you use when splitting the pickup. However, those split selectors will also act as phase reversal when using combined pickup positions (in your case that's positions 2 and 4 on the 5-way switch), which is something you don't get with the triple shot rings.

So with the single coil tap switch and the switch for the Graph Tech system, that's a minimum of three 3-way switches and three 2-way switches, plus the pickup selector switch.

Your push-push pots can do the job of the two of the 2-way switches, which leaves you drilling holes for three 3-ways and one 2-way.

That's if you want the full lot. Splitting both humbuckers to either coil, phase reversal on both, series/parallel on both, tapping the middle pickup, and the Graph Tech system. Six switches in total. Obviously if you do want to keep all those options, just using the triple shot rings will be much easier for you. Then you'd only have to drill for the Graph Tech 3-way; one push-push pot would handle the middle pickup tapping, and the other could be used for phase reversal on one of the humbuckers, or even phase reversal on the middle pickup.

Personally, as someone who has too many guitars with too many switches and ends up always using the same two or three settings, I'd ditch most of that.

I'd use just series/parallel on the bridge humbucker. That's one 2-way.
I'd use just splitting on the neck humbucker, and only ever to the north/neck-facing coil. That's another 2-way.
Your pots have those covered, so that means you only have to drill two extra holes, one for tapping the middle pickup and one for the Graph Tech system.

That will still give you:
Bridge series
Bridge parallel
Bridge series + middle
Bridge series + middle tapped
Bridge parallel + middle
Bridge parallel + middle tapped
Middle
Middle tapped
Middle + neck series
Middle tapped + neck series
Middle + neck split
Middle tapped + neck split
Neck series
Neck split.
+ Everything with the Graph Tech AcoustiPhonic

I love out of phase tones and wire most of my 2-pickup guitars with one out of phase permanently, but I wouldn't bother with it for a 3-pickup guitar. Out of phase sounds are most distinct when you use the neck + bridge pickups, and when they're mids-heavy humbuckers. When you start involving splitting or parallel wiring you lose some of the mid cancellation which makes out-of-phase worthwhile (it's really the entire point of it) and you end up with a gigantic volume drop. When you use middle pickups in place of either the neck or bridge (as you do with a 5-way switch) then there simply isn't enough of a difference between the two pickups (bridge + middle or middle + neck) and you get the same result as before, no real depth to the sound and just a very quiet signal that sounds like you just lowered all the gain on your amp.

So, as much as I like out-of-phase, I wouldn't bother with a 3-pickup guitar. You just don't get much out of it. Leave it to the Les Pauls and archtop guitars.

In terms of series/parallel and splitting, personally I find myself always preferring series/parallel for the bridge and splitting for the neck. Additionally, every time I use splitting with a phase/coil selector switch, I end up always preferring one coil over the other, usually the one which is closest to the neck. This is more down to personal preference, but because wiring in all the options gets so complicated, I strongly advise you to choose one or the other for each pickup. I find it very unlikely that you would actually end up using series, parallel, split north and split south for each pickup. You'll most likely end up just wanting series + one of the other three options. So save yourself some wiring and just do a series/parallel or series/split switch.

The Pearly Gates splits fairly well, though you should expect to get very low output from it in that form. Parallel wiring it results in even lower output, so it won't balance with the other pickups at all; splitting to the coil closest to the neck will retain reasonable output best. The Custom Custom both splits and works parallel very well, and should match output with the middle pickup almost exactly. Series/parallel would be my choice for the bridge, but splitting will work just fine if you prefer.

I think I'm repeating myself now so I'll leave it there. :icon_thumright:

Edit: just anecdotally, my 'default' all-rounder guitar has two humbuckers, with one series/split switch controlling both of them, and a phase switch which doubles up as letting me choose which coil of the neck pickup to use when it is split. Despite these options, I basically never split the bridge pickup, change phase, or use the neck pickup series. I may as well just have a simple H-S guitar with no options except the pickup selector. All those options seemed like a great idea when I first wired it up, but you quickly get bored of the novelty and will settle on one configuration.
I also have one of the auto-retuning Gibson guitars, because I thought it'd be nice to switch tunings without switching guitars, but I always leave it in the same one tuning all the time...

That's been my experience and that of most of my friends as well. When you're young and ambitious, you want a guitar that'll do absolutely everything plus solve world hunger. After some time goes by, you realize that as long as you have a volume knob, maybe a tone knob, and a pickup selector switch, everything else can be done in other, better ways. Complicated controls on guitars just don't lend themselves well to real-world use. They just make things, well, complicated. Who has time for all that rigamarole while they're playing? There are notes to fret and strings to pluck.

Ace Flibble said:
I'd use just series/parallel on the bridge humbucker. That's one 2-way.
I'd use just splitting on the neck humbucker, and only ever to the north/neck-facing coil. That's another 2-way.
Your pots have those covered, so that means you only have to drill two extra holes, one for tapping the middle pickup and one for the Graph Tech system.

That will still give you:
Bridge series
Bridge parallel
Bridge series + middle
Bridge series + middle tapped
Bridge parallel + middle
Bridge parallel + middle tapped
Middle
Middle tapped
Middle + neck series
Middle tapped + neck series
Middle + neck split
Middle tapped + neck split
Neck series
Neck split.
+ Everything with the Graph Tech AcoustiPhonic

The Pearly Gates splits fairly well, though you should expect to get very low output from it in that form. Parallel wiring it results in even lower output, so it won't balance with the other pickups at all; splitting to the coil closest to the neck will retain reasonable output best. The Custom Custom both splits and works parallel very well, and should match output with the middle pickup almost exactly. Series/parallel would be my choice for the bridge, but splitting will work just fine if you prefer.

Thank you very much for the long and thorough answer! I do very much agree with you and all the different possibilities with the configuration you suggested seems more than enough to be honest. I am however unsure if I want parallel or coil split in the bridge. I am leaning more towards coil split. I like that the Custom Custom splits well and that it matches the output of the middle pickup. I want to have a guitar with humbucker sounds as well as being able to mimic the characteristic strat sound. Therefore being able to split both humbuckers, and have one real and two "virtual"  single coils, making it both a modern guitar and a classic strat, sounds awesome to me. My middle single coil pickup is apparently noiseless, how noisy will the two humbuckers be split? Is there a wiring diagram on the internet for this configuration? Also, I have seen that Guthrie Govan's new Signature Charvel (this one: http://www.charvel.com/guitars/artist/guthrie-govan-signature-hsh-caramelized-ash-caramelized-flame-maple-fingerboard-natural/) has one single mini-switch, and that can be used for single-coil operation on both humbuckers? Is this something I could pull of with one of my pots? If so, I could spare drilling one hole, because I could have the tapped single coil pickup on the other pot. Lastly, I saw someone mentioning a superswitch, is this really useful for me?
Best Regards, Marius.

Ideally you want the most sounds with the least fuss. I did wire up a guitar with both humbuckers have a universal coil tap. I liked that better than having a dpdt for each pickup to switch between series parallel or single coil. Fewer options for sure but easier to understand and gets to the point. I have been getting away from that too I want a single coil sound get a single coil guitar want a humbucker sound get a humbucker guitar.

For HSH I like wiring it up like this. Have a separate volume and on off switch for the middle pickup. Then put the other two to a three way switch. What is nice you can turn on the middle pickup and you got quack or with the volume dial in just a bit to add detail to your sound.

Yes, you could use one push pot to split both humbuckers as long as it is DPDT which most of them are.

The super switch is useful if for example in the middle position you wanted to have both humbuckers on together.

Here are some useful HSH diagrams, some use the Superswitch along with an S1 switch, which will help with exploring the possibilities.

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/hsh-guitars

I advise parallel over splitting for the Custom Custom mostly for output balance reasons, and to keep the system noiseless. In terms of tonal balance there isn't much difference with the Custom Custom between split and parallel; the coils are so hot and and alnico 2 keeps everything warm anyway, so both split and parallel both end up sounding more like a P-90 than a Fender-style single coil. It's a nice tone for the bridge (where most people go for hotter & warmer single coils anyway) but it does make the split vs parallel choice a bit pointless. They sound 99% the same, except parallel has no hum and the output balances better with standard 'true' single coil pickups. The Custom 5, Custom, and Full Shred make a bit more of a difference when split vs parallel, and also sound more Strat-like when split. But obviously their series tone is very different from the Custom Custom, so it becomes a task of picking which you prioritise more. If the Strat-ish sounds are more important to you, get one of the other humbuckers and split it. If the humbucker tones are more important to you, stick with the Custom Custom and go for series/parallel.

Yes, you can use one push-push to split both pickups, or you can use a 'super' 5-way to have the pickups automatically split when in positions 2 & 4 and/or combine with a push-push to effectively have two 5-way switches in one.

And no, the Quarter Pound Strat pickup is not noiseless. Being RW/RP means that you get hum cancellation when paired with neck or bridge single coils (i.e. positions 2 & 4 again) but by itself it has no hum-cancelling ability.

Back