Help on how to install a Recessed Tune-o-matic bridge setup?

RyVi

Thanks for reading, guys. Im new and honestly i dont know much about the creation of guitars (before, i thought all that mattered were the effects of everything on the guitar). But after reading here for a few months ive picked some stuff up. The recessed tune-o-matic is what's giving me trouble. Im thinking about a firebird body with rear routing and recessed TOM (staggered shape). What do i need to set this up? I apologize for the open-endedness of this question, and i thank anybody who took the time to check this out.

i think with a $10 charge warmoth will install the bridge posts for you. then you should just have to drop the bridge on and set the intonation (i'm pretty sure thats all you'd have to do...)

For a recessed TOM, you need.....

To order the recessed TOM with thru hole pattern you like - I like staggered on the FB
TOM bridge itself
Top ferrules
Bottom ferrules

Thats it really... EXCEPT.....

If you want, you can do your own string-thru holes in the pattern you like, or go with a Bigsby B5 trem (way cool)

Ohoho. I was thinking that the trem would be too expesive, but hearing it come from somebody else is a solid inspiration to shell out. And thanks, these replies have pretty much given me what i needed. Although I was wondering one last thing (probably something so fundamental that nobody bothers to mention it  :laughing7:). Do i need to worry about what i select as my neck if im going for the recessed TOM? I know that the TOM can cause some problems with the neck (???angling???). Is there anything else that i need to worry about?

A NON-recessed TOM sits higher than some bridges, so Warmoth has an angled neck pocket.  Its not the neck, but the body that is altered.  For a recessed TOM, its reason for being, is to not angle the neck, and not have a stop bar.  In that case, you still can use any neck that will otherwise work with the body.

Bigsby's are great, but only for wiggles, not for dive bombs.

oh i believe that. ive got a Les Trem (i believe they went out of business, basically less classy bigsbys) and it is not crafted for deep drops at all. and im fine with that. i may want to switch it up with this and go for the recessed TOM. any words on how that effects the tone? thanks for your replies

Back