Help Finding an Amp Please?

Jon

Hello everyone.  I have been looking around for an amp to go with my Warmoth for some time now, and have recently gotten the okay from my dad.  I need something that will be loud enough for small gigs, or at least keep up plenty well with a drummer, but still be playable for reasonably loud bedroom use.  I have mostly been looking at combos and small heads, although I have been looking a lot at the Mesa Recording Pre, but I don't know what I would use as a power amp with it.

Anyway, what I'm asking for is if any of you have some advice as to which amp I should consider/get.  I play mostly Metallica type stuff,  but i hate using pedals, so preferably, I want 2 channels, but it at least needs to be able to be clean to pretty heavy distortion without help from pedals. Oh, and all tube definitely.  My budget is around $1000, and I am probably going to buy used. 

I have been reluctant to post this, because I thought I knew what I wanted, but turns out I don't really.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You might be able to find a Mesa Express for around 1000$. That should get you all the tones you want.

Yep, any two channel Mesa sounds like it will work.  BTW, you won't need any more than 50 Watts, and combos are easier on your back than those big half stacks.

Look at the Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401.  Great sounding double channel tube amp for cheap.  You will likely need to retube it and put in a different speaker, but you'll still be under budget.

I have the DSL 201 (20 watt model).  It sounds great with a Groove Tube job and a Celestion Vintage 30.  And then, if you ever get a 4x12 cab, this thing sounds awesome plugged into a 4x12! 

If you are doing metallica, get the randall kirk hammett half stack. It's got three channels, so no need for extra pedals there, and it's all tube...

the Randall half stack that's under $1000 dosen't have a tubes.  Nothing wrong with transistor amps though.  If you want tubes I'd look into the Mesa Rect-o-verb or if you wanted a Randall they have some cool combos with preamp modules you can expand on.  The Line 6 stuff is nice because it would do what you want and not lock you into one sound, things like the Spider Valve would be cool.

It might be a bit expensive, but I dont really know how much it costs.

This amp would be perfect.

http://www.rivera.com/products/knuckle/ktre_combo.php

the K Tre has the wickedest crazy hi-gain distortion I"ve ever heard in a guitar amp.

EDIT: if you're curious who uses these amps (because I had never even heard of  them before I bought mine. : http://www.rivera.com/artists.php)

wow... I didn't realize you could use the FX loop as an attenuator... thats cool...!! I have to try this on my amp!

Thanks everyone for the advice, but I really should have been much clearer about what sound I like (sorry).  I do play Metallica stuff, but mostly with...I want to say Slash style distortion/gain, so, not crazy high gain distortion, more of a "crunch" (I don't really know how to describe it too well...). 
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Orange Tiny Terror, and if it would be able to do something like this?

The Orange Tiny Terror is ALL crunch. There's no clean headroom, so even at low levels, you have overdrive.

I had one for a few weeks, and it sounded absolutely amazing, but ultimately I decided I needed a good clean channel, and unfortunately the TT just couldn't manage it.

Back