Help! Clearcoat milked up my my Dragon Tele!

wired to go

The first coat of clearcoat milked up. I used Duplicolors Paintshop Series Clear. If I sand and reshoot will it clearup? I need help! Don't want to loose the dragon my wife wood burned on it

Attachments

• milk1.gif
    milk1.gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 426
  • milk2.gif
    milk2.gif
    87.2 KB · Views: 395
That looks like the classic moisture trapped under the finish problem know as blushing. I am not familiar with the product you are using but I would check to see if you can shoot a melt coat of thinner on it so it will re-melt and release the moisture. Or check if the they make a blush remover, which would be the same thing.

On lacquer I would shoot a wash coat of thinner mixed with a small amount of lacquer retarder.

If it was me, I'd soak a towel in acetone and lay it over the thing to strip it, then start over. You can't shoot raw thinner at it in an attempt to melt it back because you'll ruin it. It'll bubble and boil and turn to shite. While it's fresh, it's easily removed and it won't hurt the foundation, so your wife's work will be preserved.

Don't shoot it again unless the humidity is lower than about 65%. The milky result came from the expansion of the spray vehicle, which lowers the dewpoint of the air and causes condensation.

Well, I sanded off the finish and removed the milky lacquer from the wood burning with lacquer thinner and Q-tips. It didn't take that long because there wasn't that much finish on it. I'ts ready for a new coat of sealer. Then I'll use the acrylic clearcoat on a warmer and less humid day. Thanks for all the replies.

Check Amazon for thermo-hygrometers. There are dozens of them available and most only cost $20 or less. The system I have allows for 4 remote wireless sensors so I always know what the temperature and humidity is outdoors, in the garage, in the basement and on the first floor.

Back