Has anyone ordered from Bill Lawrence USA lately?

Hi all,

Just curious to know if anyone here has ordered anything from Bill Lawrence USA lately.  I used their online web store (http://www.billlawrenceonlinestore.com/) almost a couple weeks ago to order a couple of single coils.  Used PayPal to pay for them, and the charge has hit my credit card account, but I haven't received any other communications from them regarding my order.  No confirmation.  No shipment notification.  Nothing.  I've emailed them, and called their 1-800 number several times, leaving voice mails twice and so far, no response. 

I've never ordered from them before, and just wondering if this type of thing is atypical for them. 

Ron

I haven't ordered from them myself, but judging by how many times I've seen this very thing posted over at TDPRI, I'd be inclined to say that, no, it isn't atypical. On the flip side, I've never once heard anybody say they weren't worth the wait.

I've ordered pickups from them, and yes, this is typical. 

It's a small business with a big reputation and an admirable commitment to setting and attaining a lofty standard of QA. 

You might want to forget that you ordered them, so when they finally arrive, you'll be pleasantly surprised.  :)

All of the above. I've ordered from them a number of times, and it's always the same. No acknowledgement or anything. Then somewhere between 4 and 20 weeks later some really nice, high-quality pickups show up at the door without warning, paperwork or any apparent reason. I often can't remember why I should be getting pickups out of the blue, so they end up in the Drawer of Misfit Parts until someday, I decide they really are mine and I install them on something. It's crazy  :laughing7:

edit: I just noticed the link in the original post was to Bill Lawrence USA, which is a different company than the one I'm talking about. I always order from the original Bill Lawrence site, which is operated by Bill's wife, Becky. There's always been some confusion surrounding that whole dust-up having to do with Bill and his business partner breaking up, who gets the name, who owns the designs, etc. If you want the real parts and to support the inventor (now deceased) and his wife, you want to order from the original Bill Lawrence site. Bill Lawrence USA is a different company, but it sounds like they do business the same way.

Cagey said:
I just noticed the link in the original post was to Bill Lawrence USA, which is a different company than the one I'm talking about. I always order from the original Bill Lawrence site, which is operated by Bill's wife, Becky. There's always been some confusion surrounding that whole dust-up having to do with Bill and his business partner breaking up, who gets the name, who owns the designs, etc. If you want the real parts and to support the inventor (now deceased) and his wife, you want to order from the original Bill Lawrence site. Bill Lawrence USA is a different company, but it sounds like they do business the same way.

Yep, I'm totally aware of the difference between "Bill Lawrence USA" vs. "The original Bill & Becky - AKA http://wildepickups.com/".  I specifically went with Bill Lawrence USA only because the build I'm currently working on is one of the Purple Tribute bodies that Warmoth released back in October.  I'm trying to replicate, as close as possible, the features and specs of the Moridaira-built MadCat vintage reissues.  Those guitars come from the factory equipped with Bill Lawrence USA S1 and S3 pups. 

At this rate, it's looking like Warmoth will have built and delivered my neck before I see the pickups.  :-\

I guess I'll give them a bit more time and see what happens.  Thanks for the replies.

Ron

FWIW, I did receive an email reply from Bill Lawrence USA stating that they did receive my order, and that they would be processing it this week.

If they're anything like what Becky and crew make, my guess is you're going to be very pleased with them.

They are not a high production outfit, so I expect they wait until they get enough orders to make it worthwhile to fire up the equipment for a run.

Cagey said:
If they're anything like what Becky and crew make, my guess is you're going to be very pleased with them.
I have yet to hear one of theirs I didn't like. In any kind of guitar. I think Kevin nailed it.

Just went through their website. What a nostalgic trip that was.  Brings me back to the 90s when I used to haunt ampage.org.

Back