1/2 cup Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 cup Bacon fat
3 small Wild onions
1/2 cup water
1 cup Sour cream

Skin and clean the groundhog.  Wash and dry and put in an earthen
  crock. Cover with water and a half cup of vinegar and 1 T. of salt.
  Let stand in a cool place overnight.  In the morning, remove from
  brine, wash and pat dry with a damp cloth.  In a large soup kettle
  combine 2 qt. of water and 2 T. of soda.  Bring to a boil, lower the
  heat and simmer for 15 minutes, removing the scum as it rises to the
  surface. Drain and rinse the groundhog meat and cut into serving
  pieces. Combine the flour, salt and allspice and dredge the pieces of
  meat in the mixture. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Melt the bacon
  fat in a heavy iron frying pan until smoking. Brown meat on all
  sides. Transfer the browned meat into a greased 4 qt. casserole.
  Arrange sliced onions on top, add water, cover and bake in a
  preheated oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Transfer the
  meat to a heated platter to keep warm.  Put the casserole on top of
  the stove over medium heat and spoon in the sour cream stirring
  constantly. Do not let the sauce come to a boil.  Put the meat back
  into the casserole and simmer for about 15 minutes.  Delicious served
  with creamed dandelion leaves.

ain't no grandhogs in norway either :(
but I think I'd rather eat what I usually eat.
Chicken, noodles and mashed potatoes with gravy!
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMH :hello2:

jackthehack said:
"Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream"???

Ain't no groundhogs in Texas?

We have Prairie Dogs...kinda the same thing...aren't they?  :dontknow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_dog

TexxasJam said:
jackthehack said:

We have Prairie Dogs...kinda the same thing...aren't they?   :dontknow:

Not at all...

Prairie dog:
2613prairie-dog-med.jpg

Ground Hog:

wood-chuck-land-beaver-groung-hog-marmota-monax.jpg

Ground Hogs are much larger, go 5-14 Lbs and 18-25" long full grown; prairie dogs are more the size of a squirrel and rarely top 3 lbs,

jackthehack said:
TexxasJam said:
jackthehack said:

Not at all...

Prairie dog:
2613prairie-dog-med.jpg

Ground Hog:

Ground Hogs are much larger, go 5-14 Lbs and 18-25" long full grown; prairie dogs are more the size of a squirrel and rarely top 3 lbs,

Sure, but you could go with Prairie Dog in a pinch if you're making Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream...er, that is if Groudhog is hard to come by.
:laughing7: :laughing8: :laughing3: :toothy12: :toothy10: :laughing11:

TexxasJam said:
jackthehack said:
TexxasJam said:
jackthehack said:

Not at all...

Prairie dog:
2613prairie-dog-med.jpg

Ground Hog:

Sure, but you could go with Prairie Dog in a pinch if you're making Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream...er, that is if Groudhog is hard to come by.
:laughing7: :laughing8: :laughing3: :toothy12: :toothy10: :laughing11:

4 lbs ground prairie dog
1 large onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 tablespoons ancho powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
2 teaspoons salt
16 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 12 oz beer

Brown prairie dog, onion, and garlic in oil.
Combine with remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 hours.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Heh Heh, will it work If I use a kangaroo and up the rest of the ingredients 6 times?

Me wants :laughing7:

(Yes I know, it's the second post with it  :toothy12: )

Ahhh Old Punxutawny Phil..........  What a party.  I live about 2 hours from Punxy....... I have been to the drunken debacle that Groundhog Day has turned into.  Not for about 10 years but some things never change...  It seems like all the college kids from around the area throw a huge frat type block party on Gobblers Knob.  I remember lugging a keg of Yuengling about two miles to the spot only to be turned around by a bunch of Penna state police saying that kegs wern't allowed on the hill.  So.... we took our keg back to the car and got absolutely wasted.  This was all at 4 in the morning too.  I wonder how it worked out with the Steelers winning the Stupid Bowl the night before (I was in the hospital I didn't see any news footage of Phil's big morning.)  Hey when you live here in Western PA, you need to come up with creative excuses to drink, and Groundhog day is a good enough excuse as any.  Personally I used to like this excuse:  It's Tuesday (or Saturday or whatever day it might be) But I swore off the booze a while ago, now I stick to reefer, no hangovers with a couple of bong hits.  I have been suffering with a condition called Labrinthitis which is an inner ear disease that really messes up your balance, so every few hours I feel like I just did a beer bong full of moonshine, which would be awesome if I actually was bonging the shine, but it is really uncomfortable when there are no drugs invoved.  I have been getting better, but last week wow I would be sitting in a chair and all of a sudden my head would start spinning and the only way I could feel better was to follow the spins to the freakin floor!!  I actually fell out of a chair like 20 times one day before my wife the RN decided that I should go see the doctor, who promply admitted me to the hospital.  All the hospital did was keep me from smoking a joint......until my buddy stopped by to see me while I was laid up in the hospital and he brought his one hitter with him, I went into the bathroom of my room and took a couple of hits....  Thank goodness my wife's best friend was my nurse that day, she told me I stunk up the whole floor with my hits, but she wasn't gonna snitch.  I told her to tell the doctor I felt better after  smoked and she said of course I did, that was why they couldn't prescribe marijuana, too many drug companies would be out of business if they could prescribe pot to sick people, but she also asked me if we would go outside to the smoking area (the hospital is a smoke free zone even outside, but they have a little area for patients to go puff in) cause we stunk the place up pretty bad (another buddy brings the Humbolt county CA chronic here to PA, it is really good sticky bud, but it does stink really bad, way worse than your typical schwag) so there I was with my buddy pushing my wheelchair out to the smoking section in about 4 degree weather with me bundled up in 20 hospital blankets to get high...... Talk about a bunch of reefer junkies....I don't know how I got on this tangent about reefer, I have been really bored with this illness just when I think I'm getting better, I freakin fall flat on my face cause my balance is all messed up from this stupid ear infection.  Dr. told me I should not drive (very bad for a delivery contractor don't you think???) and that the motorcycle riding is out of the question until I don't have any dizzy spells for at least 3 months.... So I am looking at at least May till I can hop on the Harley..... Real bummer I usually start riding in mid march, that is provided I don't start with the damn spins again.  Today is the first day in a while that I could sit up for longer than 15 minutes at a pop without the world spinning, and it seems like for some reason the pot helps way more than all the prescriptions I have to take to 'get better'  yet it is illegal?

Ok done ranting only cause the room is starting with it's wheel in the sky routine that is now my life....... and I thought I was getting better, at least I can sit up now and fight the spins, before I would puke if I tried to fight them.  I have never been this sick in all my life it really sucks

Back