Guitar strings

Black Dog said:
Daze of October said:
Danuda said:
I am looking for any recommendations for guitar strings.  I have used Ernie Ball Slinkys since I started playing guitar, but lately I have had nothing but problems with them.  The balls at the end of the unwound strings seem to slip slowly over time until it falls off and the string pops out of the bridge.  I have had this with 4-5 sets of Ernie Ball strings now.  The most recent was just 30 minutes ago on a set of strings I had on for less than a month.  The string doesn't break, the wind at the end just comes undone.  It is also has a tendency to make the string go flat as it slowly slips so end up constantly tuning the guitar.  The problem seems to happen randomly.  Sometimes I will have a set that lasts until the strings wear and I replace them.  Then maybe the next two sets have issues.  Its driving me nuts.

I've had good luck with DR's "Pure Blues."  They have a nice "snap" to them and have lasted me a long time.  No complaints about them here...

I too really like the DR Pure Blues for my electrics.  I really like the sound, but I have had an occasional string failure with them.  However not enough to make me switch brands.
For acoustic, I love the DR Rare and a close runner up the DR Sunbeam.  I have found no other acoustic strings that come close to those for sound. 
:rock-on:

A DR string is one of very few I've never broken.

I tried DR Black Beauties (coated) and did not like the feel or tone of them, so I returned to Elixir and have been happy again.  I play 'em 'til they break.

AutoBat said:
I tried DR Black Beauties (coated) and did not like the feel or tone of them, so I returned to Elixir and have been happy again.  I play 'em 'til they break.

Yea, I tried the DR Black Beauties as well and felt just as you do.  Didn't like the feel or tone, so I have never purchased another pair. 

I used the Elxir nanowebs for years but lately I switched to Dunlops and I've enjoyed them quite a bit.

The most 'true' sounding strings I've ever used, from acoustic, to banjo, to mandolin, to electric, have been D'Addario.

edit:  fixed spelling mistakes caused by the iPhone.  Really  :doh:

Doughboy said:
AutoBat said:
I'm a fan of Elixir nanoweb coated strings.  I usually change 'em once or twice a year.

+1

Once you try these, it's hard to use any other set of strings ever again.

Except they sound half dead from the get go... compared to good strings.

I've used GHS Boomers for years now and never had problems with them. They stay 'brighter' for longer than any other brands I've found.

=CB= said:
Doughboy said:
AutoBat said:
I'm a fan of Elixir nanoweb coated strings.  I usually change 'em once or twice a year.

+1

They sound awesome from the get go. 

I like Elixirs on acoustic, but not on electric.
Lately, I've been using D'Addario's version of Elixirs (EXPs) on my acoustic, and I'm liking them.

MikeW said:
I've used GHS Boomers for years now and never had problems with them. They stay 'brighter' for longer than any other brands I've found.

I used Boomers for at least 10 years and they do have a brighter tone that I really like.  Plus, I never had breakage with them.
However, the DR Blues are the tone I have grown to love...

hannaugh said:
=CB= said:
Doughboy said:
AutoBat said:

+1

They sound awesome from the get go.

I agree that the Elixirs have a dampened or slightly muted tone. However, I do occasionally use them for a longer life on my acoustic, and with less oxidation residue.

My electrics have stainless frets, and with good maintenance my D'Addarrio XL strings last months with daily playing. I haven't broken a string since I was new to tuning a guitar.

I have never broken a string up until yesterday.  I used to play 10's though, but I recently switched to a hybrid set that are 10's on the wound and 9's on the other (you know what I mean).  I do a lot of bending and that is what I was doing when it snapped.  I like the hybrid set as my playing time has gone down since I have kids (1 and 2 years old).  My calluses have softened up and the lighter strings makes playing easier.  I have been playing the hybrids for about 3 months now, but if I the broken string is not a fluke and I keep breaking strings I will switch back to 10's.
There have been so many suggestions of what to try, I may just randomly pick one and see how it goes.

Street Avenger said:
I've used nothing but Ernie Balls for the past 20 years and have never had that problem.

I'll add an X2 to that because it's been 40+yrs for me and never a problem with EB.

Strings are just some of those things where if you ask 20 different people for an opinion, you're going to get 20 different answers.  I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for that "perfect string" or "perfect tone," etc.  I've used everything from Ernie Ball Slinky to DR Pure Blues to D'Addario, GHS Boomers, Dean Markley Elixers, etc.  While I've found some slight differences in tone, some strings just seem more "lively" to me.  I think it really just depends on the guitar you're playing.  On some of my guitars the GHS Boomers sound the best and while on others, the DR Pure Blues sound the best, etc.  As far as feel, a string is a string is a string...to me, anyway.

Well MY guitars sound fantastic with Elixirs, and Bob Taylor's guitars sound fantastic with them.  So I don't know what you guys are doing wrong.  :icon_jokercolor:

But seriously, that's a very strange thing to hear considering everyone I've ever talked to who likes Elixirs agrees they sound extremely clear and you get a lot of great sound out of your guitar with them.  If anything, they're brighter than a lot of other strings.  Here's a comparison between them and D'Addario.  The difference is very subtle, and they both sound great IMO, but the Elixirs are a month old.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoexOHeCaFA

I think the guy is mistaken about the sustain on the harmonic at the end though.  He claims the D'Addarios lasted a full 5 seconds longer - um... yeah they both lasted 10 seconds (first one from :48- :58, second one from 1:48 to 1:58) if you actually look at the video clock unless he's hearing something that didn't get picked up in the recording, although if it did last 15 seconds, then I'm confused as to why he would start talking while the note was still "ringing" at 2:00.

Taylor puts Elixirs on all their guitars because they're smart and know the high volume of customers that will put their grubby hands on their guitars before someone buys them. This is especially smart of them when Guitar Center is concerned, as they have no love for their high end instruments. I have played high end Martins and Breedloves at GC that leave black on my fingertips.

It isn't that Elixirs sound better initially, but that they sound better longer. The fact that Elixirs sound slightly dampened isn't much of an issue on a Taylor anyway, with their 25.5" scale and ebony board (on most models), making them exceptionally bright.

However, as a warning to anybody about to try them, I have Elixir 80/20 bronze .12-.53 strings on my Breedlove dreadnought that sound terrible. They are too bright and also quite dead sounding. This is my first time using 80/20 strings and will be the last. I think it is more so the metal versus being coated, as this is the only time I haven't been able to dig a type of string. The Elixir phosphor bronze strings that I had on the same guitar sounded fine.

hannaugh said:
Well MY guitars sound fantastic with Elixirs, and Bob Taylor's guitars sound fantastic with them.  So I don't know what you guys are doing wrong.  :icon_jokercolor:

But seriously, that's a very strange thing to hear considering everyone I've ever talked to who likes Elixirs agrees they sound extremely clear and you get a lot of great sound out of your guitar with them.  If anything, they're brighter than a lot of other strings.  Here's a comparison between them and D'Addario.  The difference is very subtle, and they both sound great IMO, but the Elixirs are a month old.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoexOHeCaFA

I think the guy is mistaken about the sustain on the harmonic at the end though.  He claims the D'Addarios lasted a full 5 seconds longer - um... yeah they both lasted 10 seconds (first one from :48- :58, second one from 1:48 to 1:58) if you actually look at the video clock unless he's hearing something that didn't get picked up in the recording, although if it did last 15 seconds, then I'm confused as to why he would start talking while the note was still "ringing" at 2:00.

Bob Taylor's guitars would sound good using threads out of a warn out pair of underwear for strings!  :toothy12:  I don't think there's a string on the planet that could make a Taylor sound like garbage!  :icon_biggrin:

Much love for my '12 414ce!  :headbang1:

hannaugh said:
I have very low pH hands, stainless steel frets on my Strat, and a pretty light touch, so they tend to last forever on that guitar and slightly less than forever on my other guitars.

I know it is being nitpicky, but I will assume you meant low acid, not low pH.
Patrick

D'Addario 10-46 for me.

If nobody mentioned it yet, you could put a good coating of solder on the windings with a soldering iron and that will solve your problem.  :icon_thumright:

LushTone said:
Taylor puts Elixirs on all their guitars because they're smart and know the high volume of customers that will put their grubby hands on their guitars before someone buys them. This is especially smart of them when Guitar Center is concerned, as they have no love for their high end instruments. I have played high end Martins and Breedloves at GC that leave black on my fingertips.

It isn't that Elixirs sound better initially, but that they sound better longer. The fact that Elixirs sound slightly dampened isn't much of an issue on a Taylor anyway, with their 25.5" scale and ebony board (on most models), making them exceptionally bright.

However, as a warning to anybody about to try them, I have Elixir 80/20 bronze .12-.53 strings on my Breedlove dreadnought that sound terrible. They are too bright and also quite dead sounding. This is my first time using 80/20 strings and will be the last. I think it is more so the metal versus being coated, as this is the only time I haven't been able to dig a type of string. The Elixir phosphor bronze strings that I had on the same guitar sounded fine.

In my opinion, Elixirs don't sound "dampened", but rather smoother. I love them on acoustic guitar (but I already said that).

Back