Guitar stand condoms ?

Steve_Karl

Has anyone found a good way to cover the toxic rubber parts on guitar stands to keep the rubber from ruining the finish on a guitar?

Maybe it was just one batch of stands I had but the rubber on the stand eventually caused blemishes on the butt of the body and the back of the neck.
I've just been wrapping pieces of old t-shirts around the stands but am hoping to find a cleaner look.

Ideas welcome!

TIA

Steve

My guitar is on the pill actually, so the stand doesn't need to wear a condom.
My guitar only sits on it's own stand, not any other stands, so I'm not worried about it catching any diseases either.

I had some red felt at my house.  I just wrapped that around the part that touches my guitar.  Before that, there was actually color tape on it, the kind they put on casts... why?  ...because the stand was a gift from a friend who's mom was a nurse.  Of course, eventually that tape got all gummy and sticky, so I covered it with felt. 

White Hand Towels, 60 of them for some absurdly low price at Costco.  One for the neck, and one for the back end.  I have a Warwick bass with a body made from Birdseye maple, heavy monster, and it just kills the latex rubber (yellow rubber) stands.  Leaves behind a gummy mess, so the towel approach was adopted.  Also great for when you need a towel fast around the toys.
Patrick

Thanks guys.

All good ideas. Gotta go shopping now, and need some fabric for other things also so Jo Ann is probably the way to go.

Most, if not all, of the stands I saw online are not recommended for guitars with nitro laquer. My Warmoths have no problem but when I put my SG I have a towel on the stand.

line6man said:
My guitar is on the pill actually, so the stand doesn't need to wear a condom.
My guitar only sits on it's own stand, not any other stands, so I'm not worried about it catching any diseases either.

HA-Larious!
:toothy12:

The rubber foam stuff on my stand doesn't seem to do anything to the bodies of the guitars or their finishes.  My problem is that the foam is really weak and where the guitars sit  the foam is indented and i might as well just put the guitars straight on the metal tubing.  I've been looking for good replacement stuff but I'm not sure what to get.  i was thinking some white foam tubing kind of like that "pool noodle" material.

Back