Guitar Combo Amplifier Whats is a nice?

SlingBass said:
*I'd* tell your local music store to KMA...
Well it's one of the three music stores in town, this particular one, not sure if i should mention the name, is a real Beeyarch, they only offer dirt, super low prices on shitee stuff because it can afford to order it in a bulk of the hundreds, maybe thousands case there's more than one store. But the good stuff is just too expensive and sometimes overpriced, that's my theory.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
If you got a 30wt tube it'd sound as powerful as a 50wt solid state, or I think thats how it goes.

Not quite. My Mesa Boogie is 22 watts and would destroy any 50 watt SS crap you paired it against. With the bonus of powertube saturation, which doesn't occur in SS land. You either have clean headroom or hard clipping; toobs have a much smoother and more musical clip.

dmraco said:
a little more that $300...I paid $399...but the Fender HOTROD Deluxe...40 watts to tube tone!!!  AWESOME!  Sound better than my old Marshall 1/2...and its A LOT lighter too!

The Hotrod Deluxe is a nice little tube amp, but it has several things that can be upgraded.  The biggest problem with it (and the other Hotrod and Blues amps of similar type from Fender) is they put a linear taper pot as the volume pot.  When you get to 1.5 to 2 the volume goes through the roof.  Have it swapped out with an Audio taper pot and it will be a much more functional amp.  It also benefits greatly from new preamp tubes, especially the phase inverter.  A good low noise tube that has been tested for balanced triode will make a very large improvement to that amp.  I would suggest the Tung Sol new production 12AX7 tube for that, I have had nice results from it.  The last thing is, THD Yellow jackets allow the dirty channel to really sound like a very nice tube distortomatic, instead of sounding kinda plastic like.  They also drop the output from 40 Watts to somewhere between 15-20 watts I have read.  Not sure about those numbers, but it is dropped to a more manageable practice amp level.  All said and done, those additions will be 100 to 150 bucks more.  If you have the pot swapped that will cost you $1.25 for the pot and a lot for someone to swap it.  The amp becomes a lot more expensive after all of that, but it is a very good amp at that point for a large number of musical styles.
Patrick

Zgozz looks like he has gone for a 30 watt Marshall combo.

30 watts is more than enough for practice at home.

In fact, in tube amps, 15 would be ideal. A 30 watt non tube amp is a decent comparison.

Those that advocate larger amps really are pushing the boundaries of friendship with others around them, and possibly the hearing of the players involved too.

Re: Power ratings of tube amps vs. non tube amps.

There's RMS , there's Peak, and there's a probably one or two other formats of power ratings given to electrical equipment (can't think of them off the top of my head right now  :tard: ). Look into how the amp is rated and how that format works. Understand how they (the lab people) arrive at the ratings when they say it's 30 watts RMS, or 60 watts Peak. This argument has been going on for ages, and can really confuse new players. I know it confused me when I started.

Back