Guitar Combo Amplifier Whats is a nice?

I checked out that video for the Tech 21 solid state... I stopped after 15 seconds, I really dislike that distortion sound a the beginning.

This is an amazing little practice/home/recording amp for the price.  Just came out last month and has got great reviews. 
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-The-Contender-18W-1x8-Hybrid-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482292

Hey ZGOZZ
I noticed these on the Tech 21 website. They are a development of their successful Sansamp series.
If your computer has a decent set of speakers, and you have an AD input into the computer or a recording software system on the PC, then you could use these in place of a practice amp, save $$ and have another tool for your home recording system.

As someone who injured his ears playing way too loud on an amp in his bedroom, these little boxes of tone seem a good remedy to me.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/character_series.html

ZGOZZ said:
OzziePete said:
ZGOZZ said:
Marshall MG50DFX Combo Amp

This is a little bad ass.

Is that what you have ended up getting?

Its a nice amp will try it out first. Did not pic anything yet.

I used to own the predecessor to the predecessor of that amp (the G50R I think it was called), it only had reverb instead of all the effects that come with the new one but it was a good amp and was capable of some really nice tones, sold it eventually and got myself a Fender Princeton 65DSP which is an amp I can really recommend trying out or rather the new version as the 65DSP went out of production a couple of years ago.

One thing you shouldn't neglect though is the used market you can often get some really nice stuff used if you look around long enough, in fact my Marshall was a used purchase ( only £50, £1 per watt was a good deal IMO particularly since I sold it 3 years later for £50) as was my current main amp but that's unsurprising since it is at least 25 years old.

For $300 (apparently that's his budget) I doubt you'd get a tube amp as powerful as the MG50, sure there are plenty of low power amps in that price range but if he's after something with a bit of grunt, transistor or chip is the way to go, or buying used of course but that's always a little risky.

Nick Ellingworth said:
For $300 (apparently that's his budget) I doubt you'd get a tube amp as powerful as the MG50, sure there are plenty of low power amps in that price range but if he's after something with a bit of grunt, transistor or chip is the way to go, or buying used of course but that's always a little risky.

better to get a nice soudnign amp rather than a loud one, MGs suck, the MG50 just makes teh suckage louder

gnome said:
Nick Ellingworth said:

better to get a nice soudnign amp rather than a loud one, MGs suck, the MG50 just makes teh suckage louder
Mg's don't suck, they're just wussy, thet need a big kick up the arse (boost pedal) and they're fine.
But a tube amp would be better. If you got a 30wt tube it'd sound as powerful as a 50wt solid state, or I think thats how it goes. Just go to your music store that sells amps and test out as many as the sales guy will let you.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
gnome said:
Nick Ellingworth said:

Mg's don't suck, they're just wussy, thet need a big kick up the arse (boost pedal) and they're fine.
But a tube amp would be better. If you got a 30wt tube it'd sound as powerful as a 50wt solid state, or I think thats how it goes. Just go to your music store that sells amps and test out as many as the sales guy will let you.

each to their own i guess but i found the cleans on an MG too be horribly sterile and with a pretty thin distortion in my books that makes a pretty crappy amp

and with tube i believe it works taht a 30watt tube is atcually rated to the point at which it breaks up and actually distorting an amp causes an incrase in watts , in other words a cranked tube amp at full blast will actually sit aroudn 50 watts rather than 30 which is about as loud as an 80-90 watt ss

plus thats rather unnecesary for bedroom use, 10 watt woudl be more htan enough if still nto too mcuh for bedroom use

Yeah... Epiphone VJ or one of those Crate combos on sale at Musicians Friend... I guess I haven't played either but I've heard good things about both.

a little more that $300...I paid $399...but the Fender HOTROD Deluxe...40 watts to tube tone!!!  AWESOME!  Sound better than my old Marshall 1/2...and its A LOT lighter too!

Its not a bad practice amp. Not like I am taking out of my office LOL. :icon_thumright:

I will be getting another amp later down the road and I will get a tube amp ok LOL :toothy12: :laughing7: :icon_thumright: :headbang: :guitaristgif: :party07: :headbang1:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
You know, I had a look at those crate V33 head and cab, and for that price, it's damn good value. It's got really good reviews too.
I'm quoting myself, but i'll go see if i can test one out.
Edit: WTF? my local guitar store sells the V33 head for $859, but on eBay from popper music stores its $150-ish?

Back