Guidance Needed!

LisaSimpson

Hi everybody,
I'm looking to build a guitar using Warmoth parts. The combo I have chosen is the following: SG body (mahogany), tele neck (rosewood/mahogany), Gotoh ToM bridge and tailpiece, Schaller mini locker tuners. I was also planning on purchasing some humbuckers ('57 classis/+...if I can get a good price), but I'm also considering p90s. I like playing indie and rock music (such as the Beatles, Gov't Mule, and Radiohead). Am i going wrong anywhere? Any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Lisa Simpson

Lollar p90s are some board favorites. Good choice on the mini tuners. Should help prevent any neck dive problems. Anyone know of issues as far as dive goes with a rosewood neck?
Btw, I love p90s.

Welcome Lisa.

The combo you've chosen sounds fairly classic.  Cant really go wrong.  Personally I'm not sure a tele neck would work on an SG body. But each to their own.

You'll be fine with either Classic 57s or P90s. Both styles of pickup will get you where you want to be sound wise. So it's personal preference really.  i'd suggest you do a bit of research into P90s to try and narrow it down a bit.  There are so many types of P90 out there......
:icon_thumright:

Consider that warmoth neck have a scale of 25 1/2 while gibson usually have 24.75.

25 1/2 scale gives the instrument a more defined sound while the shorteer 24.75 gives a warmer sound (for more info http://www.stewmac.com/scalelengthtone.html).

I suggest you to consider kluson style tuner, imho they look better.

Max said:
Lollar p90s are some board favorites. Good choice on the mini tuners. Should help prevent any neck dive problems. Anyone know of issues as far as dive goes with a rosewood neck?
Btw, I love p90s.

Warmoth SG body are thicker than standard SG (http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13.0) , so no neck diving problem  :cool01:
Btw I have a 2008 Gibson SG with the vintage style tuners and I don't have problem of weight balance between neck and body.

Warmoth doesn't do Mahogany fretboards.

I wouldn't want one anyways. The Rosewood can be played raw, but you need a finish on Mahogany, so the whole neck would need finishing.
It would be sinful to put a hard finish on Rosewood. :sad:

:doh:
I didn't see "mahogany"
Ignore my neck dive concerns.
Joey, he means a mahogany neck, with a rosewood board.

Max said:
:doh:
I didn't see "mahogany"
Ignore my neck dive concerns.
Joey, he means a mahogany neck, with a rosewood board.

Lisa Simpson is not a "he". Unless maybe since the show has been on long enough now that she is old enough to get a sex change? :blob7: :blob7:

Rosewood/Mahogany means Rosewood neck shaft, Mahogany fretboard, doesn't it?
Mahogany/Rosewood would be a Mahogany neck shaft with a Rosewood freboard, which does make a lot more sense.

Tele headstock on SG?? OH NO PLEASE!!!!
Welcome to the forum Lisa!

Line6man, Mahogany is not avaiable at all as fretboard and, going to common sense, I guess she meant Mahogany neck with Rosewood fretboard, what would lead me to say "go ALL rosewood For The Win!!!!"

Also cool for P90, you can get some awesome rock tones if you want as far as some single coil calm tones :) For the bands you said you play something alike, is a great shot!

I'm confused... shouldn't you be playing saxophone instead?  :laughing7:

I agree on the all rosewood.

NLD09 said:
I'm confused... shouldn't you be playing saxophone instead?  :laughing7:
C8E515F290B44E4EB17AA3BF5F98FDE1.jpg

I think the mahogany body and neck, if both finished the same, would look awesome.  The Tele headstock is a head scratcher to me, but I'd love to see it happen.  There's certainly been a few temporary Strat headstocked LPs floating around.

Back