Guess I know what the next guitar project is....

jackthehack

Epic Member
Refinishing and hot-rodding this puppy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Melody-Maker-Electric-Guitar-Vintage-Mid-1960s_W0QQitemZ360071578504QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360071578504&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

For that price, you can't go too wrong. I see much doweling and gluing in your future.

going to get 2 melody maker pups in there, or keep the humbucker?

Going to repaint it red, tv yellow, or what?

Nice acquisition!

My favorite - and main guitar for 19 years - was a '65 Melody Maker hot-rodded by Rene Martinez @ Charlie's in Dallas, had 70's Dimarzio PAF in neck and SuperDistortion in bridge, Grovers and a Leo Quan Bad-Ass bridge. Sadly, it never came back the 3rd time it was stolen...

Don't worry about doweling/etc., still have the clamp set I bought for my '65; knocked the peghead back off that thing 4 times, have that down to a science.

Will have to check finish; will probably strip/stain walnut/shoot with nitro like my old one.

Right now I'm thinking an RG Dirty Harry Tele neck pickup and an RG BBQ in bridge; might wind up re-routing for 2 HBs before I'm done.

You might think it's ugly, but if you've ever played one you'd appreciate it better; weighs nothing, is faster than hell to play,  and will sustain for days with HB's in that flyweight mahogany body.

I guess I'll need to see if I can mess with a MM sometime.

So, any particular reasons why you aren't rebuilding your old one? Or is it just to have something somewhat new?

Max said:
I guess I'll need to see if I can mess with a MM sometime.

So, any particular reasons why you aren't rebuilding your old one? Or is it just to have something somewhat new?

The third time it got stolen, in 2000, it never came back again.

Whoops, my mistake.

Any reason why you are not remaking your old one? As in adding the dimarzio PAF and the Superdistortion pickups and all.

Don't like the newer DiMarzio versions of those pickups; not the same as they used to make them. Switched to SDs until I discovered Rio Grandes in this board.

Gonna make it like that Joan Jett sig MM?  :toothy12:

Seriously, looks like a cool restoration project.  :icon_thumright:

Woo Hoo! Arrived this a.m., couldn't be more pleased... Apparently the nimrods who listed it never saw a mid-60's Melody Maker that had had a finish stripping before, the "Repaired Crack by where the body meets the neck" is not a repair to a crack, completely normal, never broken/repaired neck tenon/body joint, it just looks a somewhat odd to the untrained eye as the neck wood is a little darker than the body and a little of the original glue was sanded out of the joint on one side.

Neck is straight as an arrow, body is even lighter than the '65 I had all those years. Replacement piece of crap bridge is still on 82mm stud center so easily replaced with a proper bridge.

Basically all I really need to do is replace bridge, gut and replacement electronics. Finish is darker than it looked in the eBay photos and doesn't need to be messed with.

Can't wait to get the RG Dirty Harry  and BBQ in this puppy and tear it up!

I drooled over this one for a week or two. All I know and understand about an electric guitar is what I read (lurking) here, and a new love affair that began when I took delivery on a 2007 '59 RI MM, six months ago. No lessons yet, just learning chords, and doing HOURS of string-bending, tone-seeking, exercises-daily. (Just had back surgery).

This thing is amazing. I love it, and feel naked with out it in hand.

It is easy to play, and I can't play sqaut.

Thanks,

Michael

Well, the master luthier is off today at Mass Street Music, so I'll have to wait till Monday to get his bridge recommendation. The old one has to go, and although on an 82.5mm center, the machining in the existing studs won't accept the stud bolts from a Gotoh 510. I certainly wouldn't try pulling the studs out of 45 year old mahogany, but we''l see what he has to say Monday, or if there is another alternative bridge that comes in black that will work. The current studs look like dupes for the Leo Quan BadAss bridge I had in my old '65, might go in that direction....

Luthier looking for black Quan or Schaller bridge with studs that will fit the original inserts, should have those later this week.

All finish needed was an application of Howard's Restor-a-Finish in mahogany; will apply the Feed'n'Wax and buff out tomorrow; installing Rio Grande Tele Dirty Harry neck and BBQ bridge pickups in pickguard....

MMrefin.jpg

You didn't get that from Katrina-land, did you?  Looks like moss growing in the route. 

The rest looks great!  :icon_thumright:

I don't know what the f*ck that is? Feels like a loofah sponge thing, looks like it was some kind of padding somebody put under the pickguard assembly that deteriorated. Closer examination of harness reveals that's it's all original; the leads were cut from the original SC bridge PU and the lead for the POS humbucker soldered in line. CTS pot date codes are 28th week of 1964 which locks down date of guitar to that year. Guess I should pull this harness and PUs and flip on eBay after cleaning the pots up. That should pay for at least one of the pickups....

Heard to tell from pics, but you can see where the first time the pickguard was pulled it lifted some finish around a couple of the screwholes and it was originally cardinal red.

MMwiring.jpg

Congrats Jack! I remember a while ago you were jealous of the 65 MM that I had - hope yours stays in tune for you. Send us a pic.
Aren't the pignose bridges for sale at stewmac supposed to be just the thing?

Back