Grrrr!!!ounding Issue

Hey Y'all… I’m really stumped here, wondering if anyone can help out.

I have a single pickup Strat that buzzes like crazy when I plug it in.

Everything works but when I touch the bridge it gets really bad, when I touch the output jack things get better.

I do have a ground wire coming off the bridge. The Bridge is a Black Hipshot and I’m wondering if I’m not making contact with the metal?

I am also running the pickup (SD Humbucker) straight to the jack. Do I need something else inside the shielded control cavity to hook to?

Thanks in advance for your help.

all grounds have to be connected. if the PU is connected strait to the jack it needs to have it's ground conected to the ground from bridge.

Brian

Well... The bridge ground is conected to the pickup which is conected to the output jack.

Should be happyness but I'm still getting that dang buzzing sound.

Going to bust out the meter and see if I have good conections.

Bill at Hipshot said to scape some of the black paint off the back of the bridge to be sure. They had heard of this before.

is it a hardtail bridge or a trem? If it's a trem you want the grounding wire soldered onto the claw in the back of the guitar where the springs are.

Brian

Well, there is nothing quite as humbling as wiring a guitar with out a multi meter…

I have figured out the problem… mostly operator error, I had the output jack wired backwards! :doh:

In the plus column my no controls basic guitar sounds great... now.

Thanks for all your assistance, this forum is fun to read and full of great information too.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have some crow to eat.

Later.

Back