GRRR brazilian rosewood laws, wth ?

Ang3lus

i wanted to order a neck with brazilian fretboard but i can't cause of some stupid laws
but wth, all my guitars came from the US and have brazilian rosewood (fender strat, musicman JP, ibanez RG)
so what's up with warmoth not being able to export it ?

Ang3lus said:
i wanted to order a neck with brazilian fretboard but i can't cause of some stupid laws
but wth, all my guitars came from the US and have brazilian rosewood (fender strat, musicman JP, ibanez RG)
so what's up with warmoth not being able to export it ?

all the guitars you mention, dont have brazilian RW. its only for the most exclusive instruments. just take indian RW. just as good. its just a different name.

hmm
i didn't know that indian was the same
i thought every brand of rosewood gives a different sound ?
thanks for the tip
i almost gave up on warmoth necks just cause i wanted brazilian, but if it's the same as indian, who cares

Ang3lus said:
hmm
i didn't know that indian was the same
i thought every brand of rosewood gives a different sound ?
thanks for the tip
i almost gave up on warmoth necks just cause i wanted brazilian, but if it's the same as indian, who cares

its rosewood, yeah, but its not 'the same'. its like beer; heineken isn't the same as budweiser, but they're both beer. BRW has more mids, more 'howl', a more 'piano' like chime, compared with the indian version. but the differences aren't that huge. I suggest, indian, if you can't have braz, or otherwise wenge (but if you take a non-angled headstock-neck, ziricote! thats very much like BRW! or pau ferro).

i want a LP neck which is angled, what other fretboard do you suggest that sounds like BRW ?
i'm looking for that vintage LP tone, already got body/pickups/hardware and whatever just need a neck now
mahogany on braz rosewood was my first choice but that's impossible now
any other fingerboard that will accentuate the lows/mids ?
i like heavy and tight bass response, but also gary moore like distortion

Ang3lus said:
i want a LP neck which is angled, what other fretboard do you suggest that sounds like BRW ?
i'm looking for that vintage LP tone, already got body/pickups/hardware and whatever just need a neck now
mahogany on braz rosewood was my first choice but that's impossible now
any other fingerboard that will accentuate the lows/mids ?
i like heavy and tight bass response, but also gary moore like distortion

ah, for a fretboard! i thought a neck! well, for a fretboard, it doesnt make a huuuugeeee difference if you use indian instead of BRW. afterall, the fretboard is a thin slab, the neck is a huge piece of wood.

for a real les paul tone, I suggest a full rosewood neck instead of mahogany. that gives you a very nice, warm, mellow tone, but with a nice ring to it, and it gives you a more versatile sound. its ofcourse the real LP tone (hell, I have a LP with a rio neck, korina back, and a tremolo, and that still gives me a great, real les paul tone; more LP than any customshop gibson i've tried, and trust me, I know what I want in a les paul tone; i've had over 20 les pauls!).

and a RW neck can be played without a finish, and thats far, far superior to a neck WITH finish!

but, if you're stuck on a mahogany neck, and you want to be as close to gibson's specs as possible, i suggest regular rosewood (eventhough ebony looks and plays and sounds better, a RW neck plays better and sounds better, but ok). if you want something thats 'close' to brazilian, use ziricote.

does it have the same bass response as mahogany ?
mahogany has this awesome tight bass, if you know anything better please share :)
maybe wenge ?
is it impossible to play mahogany without a finish ?
also wenge is impossible without a finish ?

Ang3lus said:
does it have the same bass response as mahogany ?
mahogany has this awesome tight bass, if you know anything better please share :)
maybe wenge ?
is it impossible to play mahogany without a finish ?
also wenge is impossible without a finish ?

mahogany must have a finish
wenge does not need a finish

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods

Ang3lus said:

Stupid Law:

Europe and North America came to Brazil and cut ALL rosewood trees as well as Pau Brazil... You can say, pratically, that there is no more rosewood growing in Brazil by it's own... I believe that there some farm guys that try to make it grow, because it's fairly expensive, but you won't find going in forest...

I'm sorry but in which part you classify it as stupid??

PS: The B.R. that was cut BEFORE 1992, when the law came, can be sold, with an control by IBAMA, the governamental agency that control the nature... There is some places that still have it, but they do not show on TV and people that knows don't tell you easily... I know one and won't tell you even with a 12 gauge on my face...

hey chill man :)
i just thought warmoth is the only company that doesn't export brazilian as i thought brazilian is used all the time on brand name guitars, that was why i thought it was stupid, I realize I am wrong now and am truly sorry.

I'm aware that the wood situation all over the world is grim, but it's not due to guitars mainly, but alot of other things, such as expensive firearms and hunting equipment are made with expensive woods, that's just wrong.

Ang3lus said:
what about a Wenge neck with Kingwood fingerboard ?

great choice! wenge and rosewood necks have GREAT bass response, but also great mids and singing highs. mahogany necks have imho only lows and low-mids, and lack highs and mids, which you need to cut through the mix, and do get a more balanced tone. the mahogany gibson used in the 50ies has the properties you want for a great neck, but current mahogany is too 'warm'. on an sg or well.. any non-LP guitar, thats cool, but a les paul has so much mass and body, thats just too much, especially in combination with a rosewood fingerboard!

wenge + ebony, kingwood, pau ferro, ziricote, is an excellent choice. its got tight bass, great 'projection', nice howling, singing mids, beautiful singing highs, and an awesome feel. rosewood is a bit warmer than wenge, but equally great in feel and tone, not the same tone, but equally great.

and yeah, its a stupid law, i know, but hey, you need it to prohibit rogue timber-cutting! I value great guitars, but I also value our environment. PRS, gibson and fender CS dont care so much about law, and do ship abroad. but warmoth wont. thats alot of kudo's towards warmoth! thumbs up!

Re: "singing highs/growling mids":

- You can make the body out of a chunk of anything, it's not going to make any appreciable difference in any way, with the exception of very light bodies of some woods being able to pick up additional resonance when playing at volume.
- Choice of neck wood(s) CAN make a difference to tonality, but the difference is in actuality very slight in almost all cases.
- 90% of tone/sound comes from your pickups/electronics selection and your fingers.

SOMEBODY PLEASE STICKY THIS POST ON EVERY FORUM HERE!!!!!!
all the best,  R

....the only practical/discernable difference between type(s) of rosewood used for fretboard(s) is purely cosmetic.

There is no real discernable difference between a rosewood and a mahogany neck if referencing the quality of wood you're going to get from Warmoth. A wenge neck will be a little brighter, somewhere in between mahogany/rosewood and maple.  These differences are still basically rather minor and you can get as much differentiation between two necks made of the SAME species of wood as different ones.

"the mahogany gibson used in the 50ies has the properties you want for a great neck"

The same quality mahogany wood was generally available into the early 70s at reasonable pricing. I've bought a number of mahogany bodies/necks from Warmoth and the quality is generally on a par with that used in older vintage instruments. If you check out the link below, or catch the reruns on the Science or Discovery channels, what Gibson uses these days looks like scrap mahogany glued together. I don't see the shot of where they are gluing together 3 piece body blanks in the condensed video link below, but it looked pretty nasty, particularly when you consider the quality of wood being used for guitars retailing upwards of $2000...

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/14158-some-assembly-required-gibson-guitars-video.htm

jackthehack said:
Re: "singing highs/growling mids":

- You can make the body out of a chunk of anything, it's not going to make any appreciable difference in any way, with the exception of very light bodies of some woods being able to pick up additional resonance when playing at volume.
- Choice of neck wood(s) CAN make a difference to tonality, but the difference is in actuality very slight in almost all cases.
- 90% of tone/sound comes from your pickups/electronics selection and your fingers.

SOMEBODY PLEASE STICKY THIS POST ON EVERY FORUM HERE!!!!!!
all the best,  R

....the only practical/discernable difference between type(s) of rosewood used for fretboard(s) is purely cosmetic.

There is no real discernable difference between a rosewood and a mahogany neck if referencing the quality of wood you're going to get from Warmoth. A wenge neck will be a little brighter, somewhere in between mahogany/rosewood and maple.  These differences are still basically rather minor and you can get as much differentiation between two necks made of the SAME species of wood as different ones.

"the mahogany gibson used in the 50ies has the properties you want for a great neck"

The same quality mahogany wood was generally available into the early 70s at reasonable pricing. I've bought a number of mahogany bodies/necks from Warmoth and the quality is generally on a par with that used in older vintage instruments. If you check out the link below, or catch the reruns on the Science or Discovery channels, what Gibson uses these days looks like scrap mahogany glued together. I don't see the shot of where they are gluing together 3 piece body blanks in the condensed video link below, but it looked pretty nasty, particularly when you consider the quality of wood being used for guitars retailing upwards of $2000...

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/14158-some-assembly-required-gibson-guitars-video.htm

thats what you keep saying, but I do not agree. I've told it many times; i swapped necks on bodies, pickups sometimes aswell, just to eliminate that part of the equation, and still, the sound changed significantly. either is your hearing, or its just you dont want to know.

no offence.

that's like saying that if you take a rosewood slab and some gibson pickups it would sound like a paul
and maybe 3 single coils and it would make a hendrix rosewood guitar ?

even body shapes make a big difference in tone, i've done tons of projects to know that wood matters ALOT, it's one part of the equation but it's A BIG ONE

Orpheo said:
and yeah, its a stupid law, i know, but hey, you need it to prohibit rogue timber-cutting! I value great guitars, but I also value our environment. PRS, gibson and fender CS dont care so much about law, and do ship abroad. but warmoth wont. thats alot of kudo's towards warmoth! thumbs up!

I doubt those companies are still exporting Brazilian Rosewood.  The US is getting very agressive in policing its exports.  There can be some hefty fines and seizures if caught.

As far as an alternative fingerboard wood, check out kingwood.  Go through the unique choice section to get a darker piece as there can be quite a bit of color variation.

Guitar players are like preachers and politicians; if you get three of them discussing a topic you will get 5 opinions.  

I say an electric guitars tone is the sum of each and every one of its parts!!  Well except the strap buttons and plastic.

Though not talked about much, Malagasy Rosewood is another great alternative to Brazilian. The all Malagasy RW necks Warmoth has from time to time are about as nice as the Brazilian.

Back