GRRR brazilian rosewood laws, wth ?

Wyliee said:
Orpheo said:
and yeah, its a stupid law, i know, but hey, you need it to prohibit rogue timber-cutting! I value great guitars, but I also value our environment. PRS, gibson and fender CS dont care so much about law, and do ship abroad. but warmoth wont. thats alot of kudo's towards warmoth! thumbs up!

I doubt those companies are still exporting Brazilian Rosewood.  The US is getting very agressive in policing its exports.  There can be some hefty fines and seizures if caught.

As far as an alternative fingerboard wood, check out kingwood.  Go through the unique choice section to get a darker piece as there can be quite a bit of color variation.

my local guitarstore has a new batch of PRS modern eagle's with BRW necks, and also a few fender CS' with BRW fingerboards...

Brazilian Rosewood? humm the Rosewood necks on PRS always was indian... In the PRS site there no mention about Brazilian in the normal guitars, only on Private Stock...

Ang3lus said:
i wanted to order a neck with brazilian fretboard but i can't cause of some stupid laws
but wth, all my guitars came from the US and have brazilian rosewood (fender strat, musicman JP, ibanez RG)
so what's up with warmoth not being able to export it ?
Just get someone in the US to order and pay for what you want, then they can send it to you. Warmoth may not be able ship Brazillian rosewood out of the US, but that doesn't mean an individual can't...

DangerousR6 said:
Ang3lus said:
i wanted to order a neck with brazilian fretboard but i can't cause of some stupid laws
but wth, all my guitars came from the US and have brazilian rosewood (fender strat, musicman JP, ibanez RG)
Just get someone in the US to order and pay for what you want, then they can send it to you. Warmoth may not be able ship Brazillian rosewood out of the US, but that doesn't mean an individual can't...

Not a good plan; particularly if you are sending to someplace like Europe which might be placing closer scrutiny of such things. You have to declare SOMETHING on the commercial invoice requisite for int'l shipments and if you include the original Warmoth invoice it doesn't take a rocket scientist to decode the abbreviations. Depending on the jurisdiction involved the item could be confiscated or held indeterminably at Customs before being shipped BACK.

Tonar8353 said:
Guitar players are like preachers and politicians; if you get three of them discussing a topic you will get 5 opinions.  
I say an electric guitars tone is the sum of each and every one of its parts!!  Well except the strap buttons and plastic.

+1 I have done a lot of different builds using many of the woods being discussed, and those are my empirical observations. If you insert ANY effect between the guitar and amp, or overdrive the amp past a completely clean setting, the nuances of the differing wood types gets negated anyway, for all practical intents and purposes.

jackthehack said:
DangerousR6 said:
Ang3lus said:

Not a good plan; particularly if you are sending to someplace like Europe which might be placing closer scrutiny of such things. You have to declare SOMETHING on the commercial invoice requisite for int'l shipments and if you include the original Warmoth invoice it doesn't take a rocket scientist to decode the abbreviations. Depending on the jurisdiction involved the item could be confiscated or held indeterminably at Customs before being shipped BACK.
That's quite true, however from my experience sending items overseas, one doesn't have to be specific as to what the item is made from, only what the item is and it's value. So if said item was to be packaged in aother box other than the box from where it originated, then it would most likely not even be questioned.. There's people that buy and sell items all the time on ebay made from braz. rosewood, do you actually think they don't send items overseas....

DangerousR6 said:
Ang3lus said:

Absolutely not true.  BR is a controlled export product, period.  There's quite a bit of documentation required.  If PRS and FCS are exporting, they must be handling the documentation side, which is very tedious.

If a 'friend' ships for you and falsifies the documentation, they can be subject to hefty fine and seizure.  I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to do that for me.

my opinion:

A maple neck with ebony fret board is going to make a guitar sound brighter than a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard. As for the body of the guitar I think the effect is much less.

Oh and Gregg should put Orpheo on the payroll to write the showcase descriptions. He's got the tone buzzwords down better than most. ;)

@ nononsense tele:

most of the time, is indian, but on the modern eagle and on the 513, its BRW.

hmmm interesting...
when I ordered my rosewood neck for my vip (standard rosewood price per chart), I called my sales rep one day later to make sure that it was an indian rw neck.
he said no, it's palisander, and charged me another 50 to upgrade to an indian rw neck.  :eek:

Marko said:
hmmm interesting...
when I ordered my rosewood neck for my vip (standard rosewood price per chart), I called my sales rep one day later to make sure that it was an indian rw neck.
he said no, it's palisander, and charged me another 50 to upgrade to an indian rw neck.  :eek:
Actually the palisander that I've seen is much better looking than indian rosewood...
11-14-06IW11346.jpg

Marko said:
hmmm interesting...

same here!!

DangerousR6 said:
Marko said:
hmmm interesting...
Actually the palisander that I've seen is much better looking than indian rosewood...
11-14-06IW11346.jpg

no... my IRW neck looks much, much better! dark stripes with purple, chocolatebrown hugues, with yellow and red... this is boring stuff  :evil4:

Ang3lus said:
i want a LP neck which is angled, what other fretboard do you suggest that sounds like BRW ?
i'm looking for that vintage LP tone, already got body/pickups/hardware and whatever just need a neck now
mahogany on braz rosewood was my first choice but that's impossible now
any other fingerboard that will accentuate the lows/mids ?
i like heavy and tight bass response, but also gary moore like distortion

:doh: :doh: :doh:

heavy tight and gary moore distortion...

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between any fretboard wood!

Ted said:
Ang3lus said:
i want a LP neck which is angled, what other fretboard do you suggest that sounds like BRW ?
i'm looking for that vintage LP tone, already got body/pickups/hardware and whatever just need a neck now
mahogany on braz rosewood was my first choice but that's impossible now
any other fingerboard that will accentuate the lows/mids ?
i like heavy and tight bass response, but also gary moore like distortion

:doh: :doh: :doh:

heavy tight and gary moore distortion...

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between any fretboard wood!

+1. While we're talking about that Gary's lead/neck pup tone is fudging orgasm-inducing. I listen to "Still Got The Blues" and find myself acting like I'm playing the lead with the mouthing of the vowel-sounding notes and all... :laughing11:

Back