Green hybrid strat from Custom shop calendar

strattelebigsby.jpg

here it is with a bigsby.

Fender used to make Surf Strat with a red and white painted finger board. I liked the looks of it, but always wondered how it would hold up. I found out it was called the So-Cal Speed Shop Model

The neck on the Green thing looks like Jade my mother bought in China.  Supposedly it has healing powers.  This can't be made out of it because it's making me sick.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
The neck on the Green thing looks like Jade my mother bought in China.  Supposedly it has healing powers.  This can't be made out of it because it's making me sick.
It looks like it already made someone sick.

On a forum like this where we all love the diversity of diferrent woods and styles of axes that we put together here, I am a bit surprised at the people who dislike that green neck.

That's too bad, your stuck in a lightwood, darkwood world.  I think it looks bitchen, and I bet it feels and plays just fine too.

I love that pickguard on the strat body!  Something I never thought of before.  I'd go with two full sized humbuckers.  If Warmoth can do it, I'm in!

Alfang said:
On a forum like this where we all love the diversity of diferrent woods and styles of axes that we put together here, I am a bit surprised at the people who dislike that green neck.

That's too bad, your stuck in a lightwood, darkwood world.  I think it looks bitchen, and I bet it feels and plays just fine too.

I think it's cool looking on this guitar also. Would I want it on mine, no. But still cool in my book. Remember, it's nothing more than a paint finish on a fret board. If you can clear coat a fret board, you can definitely paint color on a fret board.  :icon_thumright:

I'm not huge on the green neck (not a fan of painted fretboards), and just don't like the spackle look.
I've seen a thinline pickguard on a strat on the USACG site before.

Alfang said:

I'm stuck in a non-painted neck world.  I've already made the jump from finished maple to unfinished exotic.  For me this would be a step backwards.

hahaha, I had to look at it again, because I had no idea that it was birdseye maple!
I thought they went after some kind of faux marble kind of thing :) I do like it though...
it reminds me of a kisekae I did a couple of years ago when I was planning my Thinline... as you probably know I ended up going for a more traditional approach :)

untitled.jpg

Could you just take a thinline pickguard and put it on a rear routed strat body?  This one's got me going!

shanejw said:
Could you just take a thinline pickguard and put it on a rear routed strat body? 

You could, but then you'd be drilling through the body and the pickguard to mount the controls.  Fine for pots, but not a blade switch.  Usually on the Fender style bodies, if it has a pickguard, it's top routed.  You'd have to have a Thinline top routed Strat if you insisted on the blade switch, or rear route it, drill through the top and pickguard for the pots and use a Gibson 3 way toggle.

I would probably just route out a spot for the switch if I wanted to go that route, but I think I'd like the LP toggle better.  But if a thinline pg would fit right on it..oh man.  Got me going!

Back