Great software for making headstock logos

Jim_H

Hello all,

I am a long time lurker here, and have only posted a few times.

I've been trying to find a good source for custom headstock decals for a long time, and finally just decided to bite the bullet and make my own.

I'm fairly computer literate, but not terribly creative.  Thankfully, my objective design is fairly simple.  Just my last name, in a font similar to the Fender spaghetti logo, with either gold or silver text with a black outline.

I don't have photoshop, and wasn't willing to fork over the cash to acquire it.  Gimp is a popular free graphics program, but I had problems with the fonts coming out blurry with it (probably entirely my fault). 

This evening I was searching around looking for tips on making the outline around the text, and stumbled on a different free program, similar to Gimp, that makes creating the outlined text MUCH simpler (at least for me). 

It's called "InkScape", and it's free (Gnu public license). 
http://inkscape.org/

It took me a few minutes watching some youtube videos to figure out how to create the outline text, but now that I know how, it literally takes only a minute or two to create them (see the attached fictionaly example).

Start by creating a new 'default' document, then follow these steps.

1.  Add text using whatever font you like (Brush Script is the closest font to the Fender logo), and set it to the size you want.  I make mine about 40 points to start with.  Make this text solid black. 

2.  Duplicate this black text "Press CTRL-D", or right-click the text, then click "Duplicate".  This creates a second version of your text directly on top  of the original (the original is completely hidden behind, but still on the same 'layer'). 

3.  Click on top of the new text to select it, and then change it to whatever you want for your main color (I used "Olive Green" in my example). 

4.  Now, make sure you still have the new colored text selected, then click the "Path" menu, then click "Inset".  This shrinks the top text slightly, exposing the black text behind it forming a border.

This is the basic process for making the outline.  You can do lots of other creative things, including adding textures (i.e. brushed metal, liquid/wet, etc...) or effects like droplets, etc... 

See the attached example below. I made this in about 3 minutes.. then just exported it to a .png file.

Attachments

• green-strings.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,105
I should note that I haven't tried printing these on decal paper yet.  That will probably happen next weekend.  The end result will require that you use quality water slide decal paper, and good quality ink.  Trying to duplicate the color of 'Metallic Gold' is really hard to duplicate well.  'Metallic Silver', also, but it's easier than gold. 

InkScape does have some 'metallic' effects that can help with this, but it will take a little more work.

If you get it professionally printed, you should be able to just tell them one of the colours in the image and tell them to use a metallic ink for that colour.

As soon as I saw 'Gimp' and 'blurry' I was going to say inkscape before I got that far in your post. Inkscape is great, and IS a better tool for this. I've been using it for my panel design & logo work for my next amp build. (Well, i actually bought a mini-JCM800 panel from Ceriatone, but my back panel is different, so I'm doing it myself. I may not end up using the Ceriatone if the back panel looks good enough and I change the function of the 'low' input jack to say a switch or something.

You can also start in inkscape, take the font you want, convert the object to paths, do any path tweaking you want, then save, and import the SVG into gimp - so you can then use the path for things Inkscape doesn't do well - like if you wanted a chiseled edge to a font - to my knowledge there isn't a good way in Inkscape to say 'Take this path, and create a selection path 10 pixels from the path in every direction - to use for things like chiseled edges or shadows, etc...

Jumble Jumble said:
If you get it professionally printed, you should be able to just tell them one of the colours in the image and tell them to use a metallic ink for that colour.

Hey Jumble,

Any suggestions on where to get this done?

I checked the local FedexKinkos, and  they wouldn't let me put decal paper in their printers.  I guess they had a bad experience with a meltdown or something...

See if you can reach either a graphic design house, a stationery store that actually does printing, or a legal reprographics operation - they may charge a setup fee, but they are accustomed to printing on odd stock.

I tried another FedexKinkos today.  I also called a place called Zebra Printing, which is local to me  here in Bellevue, WA.  The guy looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my forehead.  Said he'd never heard of 'water slide decal printing'.

I'll keep looking around as I have time. 

Once upon a time, there was a great little printer called the ALPS 2000. It printed standard 4 color (CMYK) and gold and silver metallic as well as white, with transparent wax-based ink. And it printed on decal paper. The model builders loved these, because someone who knew Illustrator or Corel Draw could make kickass, one-off decals.

The trouble is, Roland bought up the license for the printer and shelved it, so it couldn't compete with their own, $5000 printer.

There may be some ALPS printers available on eBay used, but I would doubt their quality. I would Google custom water-slide decals, then ask around some of the boards for model building hobbies; cars, airplanes, rockets, trains. Maybe someone somewhere is still making them.

ALPS decals, made by someone who knows their way around a vector-based drawing program, are beautiful, crisp decals and a pleasure to behold. Best of luck and let us know if you have any success.

Thanks for the search tips.

I'm still a bit befuddled.. if not frustrated, trying to find a printer/paper combination that will work.

I did some google searching and found a company in texas that sells a huge variety of decal paper.  I emailed them and inquired about metallic ink, and was told that it requires a $9000 machine and some special inks to do this.  Obviously this is out of the realm of common sense for my purposes, so my search continues (and my expectations are slowly dropping).

They gave me some tips for searching for a printer, but most of color lasers I've looked at are for 'personal' or 'small workgroup' use, and have terrible reviews.  Higher quality printers are very expensive, and have features I don't need, like multiple paper trays, duplexing, etc...  I just need a printer that will print high quality without a bunch of extra features (high speed, high capacity, duplexing, etc... all stuff I don't need).

We have a nice laser printer at the office, and the boss gave me permission to experiment with it, but I'm wary of putting decal paper in a $15000 document server.  I'd hate to melt decal paper inside that thing...

Re: InkScape, I found a better way to create the outline text than the process I described above.  Instead of using the "Inset" command from the "Object" menu, I found a tool called 'Stroke', that allows you to define the thickness and color of the text border.  It's not easy to find in the software, but I believe if you press CTRL-SHIFT-F it will open this tool.  You can see the stroke properties in lower left corner of the bottom bar on the screen.  I believe double clicking this will also bring up the 'stroke' properties. Hopefully this will save someone some time in their decal experimentation.....

Jim

Been trying to accomplish a similar feat, thanks for this. Does anyone know where W gets their metal decals done? Haven't been able to find a company that produces these, would be interesting to do a custom metal decal. :(

Somebody asked that a while back, and if I'm not mistaken somebody from Warmoth answered and said they'd give up the name, but the company had a 1,000pc minimum order so it wouldn't be worth much for someone who wanted to do one-offs.

One tip for diy waterslides that I've seen is to print the logo mirror image with just the outline and then colour-in what will be the back side with a metallic pen. The outline will hide any 'inaccuracies'. It would mean that you couldn't pre-lacquer the logo as some recommend.

I haven't tried this myself but my new neck has just landed in the country (yay!) and plan to give it a go so I'll either post pics or hide it in shame shortly...

(I use coreldraw for things like the logo below and anything else that suits vector graphics. I know it's not free - though the home & student versions are reasonable.)

FYI - end of life Adobe products are now largely available for free.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Scroll down to Photoshop CS2

TBurst Std said:
FYI - end of life Adobe products are now largely available for free.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Scroll down to Photoshop CS2
I was just going to mention this as well.
Pretty much any version of photoshop is capable setting up text for a wide range of projects.
but yeah CS2 is now free, go get ya some!

sixstringsamurai said:
but yeah CS2 is now free, go get ya some!

That's an interpretation ...

[quote author=Adobe]The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.[/quote]

Back