Gotoh Wilkinson VS100 + LSR Roller Nut + Locking Tuners vs Floyd Rose

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77

Are these compatible with the Gotoh Wilkinson that Warmoth sells?

Wait a minute - titanium is really light, and brass is really heavy. How can they both be upgrades? :icon_scratch:

stubhead said:
Wait a minute - titanium is really light, and brass is really heavy. How can they both be upgrades? :icon_scratch:

They're trying to sell you something, and they don't care what or how. It's like global warming. No matter what the evidence says, it proves they're right. If we have record cold temperatures for years on end, it's because of global warming. If we have any kind of storm or lack of them, it's because of global warming. Of course, god forbid it should actually get warm for more than a day or two, because you know what that means. One way or another, you're going to get taxed on the air that you breathe, even if it comes in the form of dramatically increased goods and services costs that result from industries getting taxed to death and passing the costs on to us.

So a heavy, soft metal is a Good Thing for a bridge, just like a hard, light metal is, because what it all boils down to is the marketing weenies want you to know you need to buy a new, expensive bridge or you suck you're never going to sound like your hero.

Funky Phil said:
I don't think any other trem system will stay in tune like a (genuine) Floyd.

Having said that, the combination you have in mind will be amongst the best of the rest.

I tend to agree with this, but wish to add that there seems to be too much mechanical that can go wrong or need adjustment with Floyds. Even getting the strings on seems an adventure.

I am impressed by the engineering brilliance of the design of the FR, but you have to change the nut to gain maximum use of it, the design seems sensitive to string guage chnages, the neck has to be a decent thickness to cope with the pressure etc - lots of caveats... There's forums full of folks saying "I have a FR and it won't stay in tune...." or "I lost a screw where can I find a replacement".....or "can the r5 nut take 12 -52 strings" - you know what I mean?

Death by Uberschall said:
stubhead said:
Different enhanced frequencies.  :icon_thumright:

So which frequencies are enhanced by which block?  :icon_scratch:

Cagey said:
stubhead said:

They're trying to sell you something, and they don't care what or how. It's like global warming. No matter what the evidence says, it proves they're right. If we have record cold temperatures for years on end, it's because of global warming. If we have any kind of storm or lack of them, it's because of global warming. Of course, god forbid it should actually get warm for more than a day or two, because you know what that means. One way or another, you're going to get taxed on the air that you breathe, even if it comes in the form of dramatically increased goods and services costs that result from industries getting taxed to death and passing the costs on to us.

So a heavy, soft metal is a Good Thing for a bridge, just like a hard, light metal is, because what it all boils down to is the marketing weenies want you to know you need to buy a new, expensive bridge or you suck you're never going to sound like your hero.

:icon_thumright:

the marketing weenies want you to know you need to buy a new, expensive bridge or you suck you're never going to sound like your hero.
->->-> who almost certainly used whatever cheap steel or potmetal zinc block that came with his whammy, because that's all there was....

Next time I go to Tibet I'm gonna bring along a suitcase full of string ferrules, and have them each individually blessed by a Tibetan monk. Those guys'll work cheap these days, a burger and a few beers oughta do it. Watch this space....

but not for TOO long, doodleboots..... :blob7:

Just so you know and don't waste any time, Tibetian monks don't bless ferrules, their yaks do. They just set them down under the yak's tone worm, and let them do their thing.

Yak-milking(1).jpg

A tibetian housewife milking a yak's toneworm for the wonderful elixir...

OzziePete said:
stubhead said:
Different enhanced frequencies.  :icon_thumright:

So which frequencies are enhanced by which block?  :icon_scratch:
http://floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=page&id=48

Good read from somebody who has compared both to the stock parts, with sound samples. And it's in a Warmoth. :icon_thumright:

Why is it that these various guys who do "shootouts" can't help but change more than one variable at a time? When you change things mid-stream, you're not comparing apples to apples anymore, and your results mean nothing.

"I changed the cylinder heads on that Nova's 350 from iron to aluminum, just to see how much difference it would make. While I was at it, I figured I'd throw in a taller rear end and put on some wider tires as well. Just as I expected, my 1/4 mile elapsed times changed! Those aluminum heads are worth every penny!"

Then, why do they feel like they have to distort and compress the living snot out of their guitars? You couldn't hear a tone change in that garbled mess if it bit your ear off.

All that said, I'm glad it was his money that went into those blocks, and I'm glad he's happy with his purchases. I appreciate the work he did, but as far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out.

Well then get one and try it out for your self since nobody else's word is good enough. It's only $35.00. We've all spent way more than that little amount of money in the quest for tone.  :eek:ccasion14:

Cagey said:
stubhead said:

+1000

Well then get one and try it out for your self since nobody else's word is good enough. It's only $35.00. We've all spent way more than that little amount of money in the quest for tone.  :eek:ccasion14:

I would, but the titanium block is $189, not $35. If it was $35, I'd have done it years ago just on general principles. As you say, we've all spent gobs more in the quest for tone. But, $189 + shipping is like 10 cases of beer, and I know what effect that'll have <grin>

In any event, I think the effort is being put into the wrong area simply to create a revenue stream from the desperate. That block isn't attached to anything, it's just swinging in the breeze.  All the tension, and therefore all the vibration transfer, is bearing on the bridge mounting posts. So, if you want to improve sustain, you need to get those parts more solidly mounted and in greater contact with the body, preferably with as little mass as possible. Unfortunately, that's a major modification, not a bolt-on cure. Because of that, it's time-consuming and expensive, and has the undesirable (for some) side effect of changing the appearance of the instrument.

You put a titanium block under the bridge and tap it to accept the bridge mounting posts, and I'd bet dollars to donut holes you'd hear a difference.

Or just send me all your money and I'll TELL you how cool you are. I'll tell you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, if you just send enough money!  :icon_thumright:

And I promise not to just copy 'n' paste it, too! Honest....  :icon_thumright: "Hey fella, what a meaty block you've got...."

:icon_thumright: "Hey fella, what a meaty block you've got...."

Back