Gotoh 510T-FE1 vs Hipshot Tremolo

LooseCannon

Hey guys, did anyone get to use both of these bridges? Which one has a better feel\tone\quality? I was gonna go with the Gotoh cause that's the one Suhr uses and he told me by email that it sounds better than the wilkinson. But now i've started to read great things about the Hipshot so it'd be nice to get some advice from someone who've tried both.
I'd also like to know if there is any tonal difference between standard saddles and bent saddles, and a 2 whole vs a 6 whole bridge.
Thanks in advance

I tried both, and I prefer the hipshot. smoother feel, stays in tune better, more sustain, better bassresponse. the gotoh is great too, but a bit more 'metallic' (like the wilkie) while the hipshot more leans towards a fixed bridge so to say. besides, the hipshot looks WAY better, and those bearings are just cool!

Thanks man. Did you try them both on the same guitar? Do you know is there's a difference between the "contour" and "flat" models besides asthetics?
One thing I don't like about the hipshot is that long ass arm.

Hey man.. I like the Gotoh, but I recently installed the Wilkinson  vs401. So far, I think it is the best 2 point trem I have used! It has a steel block too

LooseCannon said:
Thanks man. Did you try them both on the same guitar? Do you know is there's a difference between the "contour" and "flat" models besides asthetics?

the arm can be cut down, thats a non-issue.

the contour model by hipshot you mean? well... the saddles are embedded in a brass block, thus preventing shifting of the saddles. i.e.: better tuning stability.

I've tried almost every trem on this planet, and hipshot just wins it hands down, over wilkinson, that is.

Orpheo said:
LooseCannon said:

the contour model by hipshot you mean? well... the saddles are embedded in a brass block, thus preventing shifting of the saddles. i.e.: better tuning stability.

I've tried almost every trem on this planet, and hipshot just wins it hands down, over wilkinson, that is.

So the saddles on the flat model are not embedded? Did you try out the flat model? I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get the hipshot, just not sure if I should go for the flat or contour, and a zinc or steel block.

LooseCannon said:
Orpheo said:
LooseCannon said:

So the saddles on the flat model are not embedded? Did you try out the flat model? I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get the hipshot, just not sure if I should go for the flat or contour, and a zinc or steel block.

the flat model was for me a no go. a friend of mine had it, and we tried it out, compared with the 'embedded' version.

the feel was not as slick on the flat as on the embedded version. in tremolo-ing, they felt the same, Im refering to non-tremolo-used playing. also, after a divebomb, the saddles seemed to move a bit too much for my taste.

a steel block will have more highs, more 'scream', whilst the zinc will have a more mellow, allround sound with a deeper growl. I've really liked the zinc, more than the steel that is.

Orpheo said:
LooseCannon said:
Orpheo said:
LooseCannon said:

the flat model was for me a no go. a friend of mine had it, and we tried it out, compared with the 'embedded' version.

the feel was not as slick on the flat as on the embedded version. in tremolo-ing, they felt the same, Im refering to non-tremolo-used playing. also, after a divebomb, the saddles seemed to move a bit too much for my taste.

a steel block will have more highs, more 'scream', whilst the zinc will have a more mellow, allround sound with a deeper growl. I've really liked the zinc, more than the steel that is.

Thanks for all of your help and info man. I think i'll go with the contour model then. So would you say a zinc block would give a closer tone to hardtail\tail piece bridge? I don't really understand the hype around a steel block, are people looking for a more metallic sound? Though I didn't really get to compare the two so i'm just speculating.

LooseCannon said:
Orpheo said:
LooseCannon said:
Orpheo said:
LooseCannon said:

Thanks for all of your help and info man. I think i'll go with the contour model then. So would you say a zinc block would give a closer tone to hardtail\tail piece bridge? I don't really understand the hype around a steel block, are people looking for a more metallic sound? Though I didn't really get to compare the two so i'm just speculating.

thats correct I guess. I also don't understand the 'steel' hype. the 'brass block' hype for floyds, I do understand though!!

Back