Got my body, but the flamed top has no movement. Is that normal?

ValeBliz said:
Meanwhile, your body is for sale in the showcase.
It’s kinda surprising the $800 price because that’s guaranteed to create another disappointed customer. Disgraceful really. Oh well, their biz, their rules.

The show case picture looooooks great!  Post pics of your next body.

TheOtherEric said:
ValeBliz said:
Meanwhile, your body is for sale in the showcase.
It’s kinda surprising the $800 price because that’s guaranteed to create another disappointed customer. Disgraceful really. Oh well, their biz, their rules.

What left me extremely perplexed is that when I contacted the sales rep they strongly advised NOT getting the gotoh 510 + 720 mod combo, and then they put up for sale a body with that exact combo without a disclaimer or anything about it. Big WTF in my view, because either it wasn’t a problem and they replied bs to my mail, or it is a problem and they are selling a body with that problem without saying anything.

A particular combination of specs doesn't necessarily reduce an item's value. It depends heavily on the market. For instance, if I was a salesman there, I'd be unlikely to encourage the use of 6 point vibrato bridges, even though that's a popular choice. I can't help it if some people got dropped on their heads when they were little :laughing7: People always have motivations and rationalizations for their preferences and prejudices.

I don’t see what all that has anything to do with what I’m saying. The sales rep replied to me saying the combination would not work and now they are selling that exact combination like there’s nothing wrong with it. This is factual.

ValeBliz said:
I don’t see what all that has anything to do with what I’m saying. The sales rep replied to me saying the combination would not work and now they are selling that exact combination like there’s nothing wrong with it. This is factual.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand your statement there. If the salesman told you that the combo wouldn't work, then why did you order it? Anyway though, someone else may have no problem with it. As certain modifications can help. So I don't see anything wrong with them selling it further, are they suppose to destroy or dispose of a body that's usable? As for the looks of the flame, that's a selective opinion and may vary widely depending on who's looking at it. However, maybe I'm confused, please enlighten me...................... :dontknow:

I didn’t, man it’s pretty clear if you read and pay attention. The site lets you order combinations that don’t work, then it’s up to the sales rep to catch errors and correct them. Btw I’m not the OP here. I ordered similar specs to him, soloist body 510 trem 720 mod because it was what I wanted I’m not supposed to know if any combination they sell works or not. The sales rep contacted me and wrote said combination wouldn’t work and to drop the 720 mod. Now they are selling a body with that exact same combination on the showcase without any form of disclaimer or advice on how to use or set up the body. If you don’t see anything wrong in this I have nothing more to say, I generally like warmoth stuff but I’m not here to praise them regardless of any bs they do.

ValeBliz said:
I didn’t, man it’s pretty clear if you read and pay attention....  If you don’t see anything wrong in this I have nothing more to say, I generally like warmoth stuff but I’m not here to praise them regardless of any bs they do.

And this, my friends, is a lesson on how to make friends and influence people.  :headbang:

Not trying to tbh, just stating what happened. I post here in search for useful infos, which in this instance I didn’t get, and I’m now trying to give some useful infos, but I know how specific brands’ forums deal with the whole brand loyalty thing so if this upset anybody I’ll get over it. I’ll Anyway no point in going on on this.

ValeBliz said:
Not trying to tbh, just stating what happened. I post here in search for useful infos, which in this instance I didn’t get, and I’m not trying to give some useful infos, but I know how specific brands’ forums deal with the whole brand loyalty thing so if this upset anybody I’ll get over it. I’ll Anyway no point in going on on this.

You actually posted a thread asking about that combination which I replied to and gave you useful information.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33082

So what we do know is that the combination is possible but not usually advisable and that is probably what you were advised.

The only other facts are that:

TheOtherEric did order this combination as a custom order.
He received and returned the body because he was not happy with the look rather than the geometry of the 720 mod.
Warmoth will have provided a refund or offered to build him another body
Warmoth are selling the body in the showcase.

Can I be the first to say suck it up and quit whining? It's a beautiful body, and just because you were unrealistic about a rare phenomenon in a one off built to order body, doesn't make it Warmoth's fault?

Haven't you ever seen the label "Wood is a natural product.". If you're honestly that hung up about finding super rare wood features which can't be photographed, maybe you should stick to combing through racks of production guitars looking for the one in a thousand that has it, instead of hoping a single built to order guitar will demonstrate a 0.1% occurance feature.

swarfrat said:
Can I be the first to say suck it up and quit whining? It's a beautiful body, and just because you were unrealistic about a rare phenomenon in a one off built to order body, doesn't make it Warmoth's fault?

Haven't you ever seen the label "Wood is a natural product.". If you're honestly that hung up about finding super rare wood features which can't be photographed, maybe you should stick to combing through racks of production guitars looking for the one in a thousand that has it, instead of hoping a single built to order guitar will demonstrate a 0.1% occurance feature.
Your needlessly antagonistic post is silly and incorrect in every conceivable way.  Claiming that only 0.1% of flamed-top guitars have any depth tells us how little you know of figured tops on guitars, and that's obviously zero. A little depth isn't "super rare," it's on virtually every single flamed-top guitar you'll find.  I've NEVER seen a guitar's flamed top have absolutely zero chatoyance like this one. Never.  I actually didn't know that was even possible.  Since you clearly can't read, I'll remind you that I didn't even care that the top looked totally different from the build pic both in color and figuring.  Good enough for me, I'm flexible. So this isn't about unreasonable expectations. It's about a drastically inferior top.

stratamania said:
Warmoth will have provided a refund or offered to build him another body
Warmoth are selling the body in the showcase.
Warmoth did provide a refund, no questions asked, and promptly. Very cool of them. But they had zero interest in building a replacement, it was more like "ok we'll email you an RMA then refund it, goodbye."  I *really* wanted to hear "sorry, but that's highly unusual and disappointing, and would be unlikely to happen again. Should we do-over?"  In which case, I would have done so.  Since they seem to have little confidence in their figured tops, I don't really either.

But that's water under the bridge. The body was A+ in every other way, so I look forward to its replacement (with a non-figured top).

stratamania said:
What have you ordered as a replacement?
A UC black korina top on black korina, Soloist body, again 720 mod with Gotoh 510 (ha ha), finished in sunset orange.  There's about a 50-50 chance this finish choice was a terrible idea, but heck who knows.  Here's the mock-up:

Attachments

• MockUp-SunsetOrange3.jpg
    MockUp-SunsetOrange3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 142
TheOtherEric said:
stratamania said:
What have you ordered as a replacement?
A UC black korina top on black korina, Soloist body, again 720 mod with Gotoh 510 (ha ha), finished in sunset orange.  There's about a 50-50 chance this finish choice was a terrible idea, but heck who knows.  Here's the mock-up:

I have a soloist black korina UC top over mohogany, finished in clear. Really nice body.

stratamania said:
You actually posted a thread asking about that combination which I replied to and gave you useful information.

So what we do know is that the combination is possible but not usually advisable and that is probably what you were advised.

I don’t want to keep going with this over what’s reasonable, but I find incredible after more than a decade of offering the 720 mod Warmoth still don’t seem to have clear guidelines about it, at least on builds that use bridge routed they sell in the first place and with their own necks. Your infos weren’t very useful not because you don’t know, but because warmoth themselves seem confused on the matter, the seles rep didn’t do any better tbh, they replied “we advise not getting it because setup could prove difficult”. Difficult? It’s geometry, either you can set it up with an ok action or you can’t, excluding mods like shimming. Anyway...

I don’t want to keep going with this over what’s reasonable,

Then don't. Warmoth sells bodies and necks. They also sell some parts and supplies. They will machine bodies to request. They don't sell guitars, they are not a luthiery school nor do they provide consulting services on building a guitar. Their nice enough to advise people on choices that make sense or not, but it is the customers job to educate themselves on the project they are undertaking. A person should not take on the task of bullding a guitar without doing proper research on the skills and parts needed to do the job right.
I used to build computers for family and friends. When I went shopping for the parts I did not expect the manufacturers or retailers to tell me what processer fit which motherboard. I had to know which memory to use and what would be the best video card. It was my responsibility to learn these things, it was not the manufacturer's job to tell me.
What parts and what route to use depends on what the builder has in mind for the instrument. Some things will work with some things and others won't. The only one that knows what will work on a particular guitar project is the builder themself. What can be used and what won't work depends on the skills and plans of the builder. It's not really Warmoth's job to tell you how to build a guitar. I think they do a great job of advising through the website and their videos. You just have to research properly. :icon_thumright:

ValeBliz said:
stratamania said:

I don’t want to keep going with this over what’s reasonable, but I find incredible after more than a decade of offering the 720 mod Warmoth still don’t seem to have clear guidelines about it, at least on builds that use bridge routed they sell in the first place and with their own necks. Your infos weren’t very useful not because you don’t know, but because warmoth themselves seem confused on the matter, the seles rep didn’t do any better tbh, they replied “we advise not getting it because setup could prove difficult”. Difficult? It’s geometry, either you can set it up with an ok action or you can’t, excluding mods like shimming. Anyway...
I suspect you didn’t get a detailed answer because it’s a pretty complicated issue. E.g.:
1) Would you be ok if your Gotoh 510 were maybe so low it could only dive? Or do you want tons of clearance to pull up?
2) Are you familiar with shims and how to use them?
3) Are you ok with the idea of maybe using a shim (as opposed to being anti-shim for some reason)?

If someone is even asking about this, it probably means they don’t know how to use shims, so it’s easier to just say don’t do it.

Back