Goncalo Strat Build

Longer is probably better - you need it to be fully dry. Maybe take a tack cloth or dust-free rag to just wipe it down before the next coat.

Finally got around to the 5th coat of tru oil.  Pics were taken tonight inside.  When finished I'll have to get an outdoors pic.

100_1893.jpg

100_1894.jpg

100_1895.jpg

Awe.......shucks guys.  :laughing7:

It's starting to look really great.  Boy I can't wait till that neck comes in next week.  I really am anxious to get this project put together.  Can't decide on the headstock logo.  I've never done one myself but I'm considering either a wood burning process or a waterslide logo.  Don't know if waterslides will work under tru oil or over it.  I think I'll stick with my logo of Fisanez in a Fender type font.  That's on my swirl guitar shown in another thread.  Unfortunately the person who did that logo didn't do as good of a job as I'd wished, but I think the idea has potential.  :)

Just got the neck, and I have to say, ...I am repeatedly impressed with Warmoth's product.  Three parts so far, and three times I've had my expectations exceeded.  The quality is amazing, ...especially when compared to the run of the mill mass manufactured stuff in the stores.  The gallery photos of this neck were awful compared to the reality!

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

This neck feels unbelievable.  Very smooth and it just screams quality when you pick it up and handle it.  My gosh, I cannot wait to get this build completed and jam on this thing.  I've owned two guitars with ebony fingerboards, ...both guitars cost me over $2000, and the fingerboard on this neck far exceeds them in beauty.  Some very nice grain in the fingerboard.

I would kinda like to leave the neck raw, but at the same time I am wanting to splash a little oil or something on the neck to pull out that wonderful flame that is peaking at me!  I'm thinking a little bit of tung for that rather than tru-oil.

I happen to have some bore oil.  I don't know much about these oils, but would that work?  If so, it would save me the long trip to Woodcraft and the expense of the oil.

Wow that's sweet.. :eek:, I wouldn't put anything on it. There's nothing like a raw neck..... :icon_thumright:

Bore oil is generally used on clarinets.  It keeps the unfinished inside area from drying out and cracking.  Its more of a wood conditioner than a finish. 

Blue313 said:
Bore oil is generally used on clarinets.  It keeps the unfinished inside area from drying out and cracking.  Its more of a wood conditioner than a finish. 
:icon_thumright:

Okay.  Thanks for that info on the bore oil.  I originally bought it to spruce up a dry fingerboard on another guitar.  I've got to decide whether or not I want to tru-oil the face of the headstock so it matches the body sheen.  I've got 5 coats of oil on the body and I'm thinking of stopping there since it looks pretty darn good.

It looks killer!!!  Put one more coat on it for good measure... I have a Tru-oil finish and it's quite soft.  Did you fill the grain?

No sir.  No grain fill.  Surprisingly, there is grain showing on the Goncalo top too, but it's cool.  I wanted a natural look and feel.  I'll have to take a good look at it this evening and determine if I'm gonna recoat it or not.

What would happen if I used Old English Lemon Oil on the back of the neck and the whole headstock, just to give it a rich look and bring out the grain?  Any negative consequences to that?

I'm not really interested in "finishing" the neck.  I just want to bring out the beauty of the wood with some sort of oil if I can, ...even if only on the headstock.

TT, rub some of that lemon oil on with a cloth and the neck will look and feel really nice.  The oil will dry out again pretty quick, though.  Just apply more :)  I usually oil my raw necks whenever I change the strings.

Lemon oil is not what you want for the headstock though... it'll only match the body right after you put oil on it, and it'll dry out and look raw again soon.  Tru-oiling just the face of the headstock would look good!

Back