Goncalo Strat Build

tt0511

Started the finish.  One coat of Tru Oil so far.  My camera sucks but I tried to capture some of the flame popping out on the top.  The mahogany back has some flame in it too.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Next time I post photos I'll have to use my wife's camera.  It does a MUCH better job.

Thanks!

I can't wait to get the neck and put this puppy together!  Goncalo neck with Ebony fingerboard is the way I've decided to go.  I'll be ordering that here in the next week or two.

Two thumbs up, bro.  Dig it.  Goncalo looks better in your pics than it does in the "unique choice" pics.  I have a pair of goncalo necks, its a great wood.

There are two Goncalo and Ebony necks available on warmoth.  Both have cream dots.  Do you guys think that would look okay?  Can't decide whether cream, mother of pearl or abalone would blend with this axe the best.  Hardware is all chrome.  Pups are black.

That thing looks so sweet. The flame is crazy haha.

And YES to the goncalo/ebony neck. It would look sooo dang good.

Just placed the neck order.   :icon_biggrin:

SN6374 Stratocaster®, Warmoth Pro , Right Handed, Goncalo Alves, Ebony Fretboard, 1 11/16" Nut Width, Standard thin, 6105 frets, Schaller (25/64", 11/32") Tuner Ream, 22 frets, 10-16" Compound Radius, Cream Face Dots Inlay, Corian Nut, 25-1/2 in. Scale

Now, ....if they'd only ship it same day service for free!   :laughing7:

I'm trying to determine how to mount the pups in this body.  Yes, I know it'll be with screws.  I've only owned one guitar with pups mounted directly to the body like this and that was an Ibanez RGT320.  But it had big humbuckers.  I'm using Blade humbuckers in this one (single coil profile).  I want some kind of height adjustment to get the pups at the right height.  Should I just pick up some springs from Stew Mac or a local tech?  Or, is there a better way?

Sweet neck!

sn6374a.jpg

sn6374b.jpg

Springs or foam will do the job to get the adjustability.  You'll have to widen the holes in the pickup so they can slide freely though.

tt0511 said:
Just placed the neck order.   :icon_biggrin:

SN6374 Stratocaster®, Warmoth Pro , Right Handed, Goncalo Alves, Ebony Fretboard, 1 11/16" Nut Width, Standard thin, 6105 frets, Schaller (25/64", 11/32") Tuner Ream, 22 frets, 10-16" Compound Radius, Cream Face Dots Inlay, Corian Nut, 25-1/2 in. Scale

Now, ....if they'd only ship it same day service for free!   :laughing7:

I'm trying to determine how to mount the pups in this body.  Yes, I know it'll be with screws.  I've only owned one guitar with pups mounted directly to the body like this and that was an Ibanez RGT320.  But it had big humbuckers.  I'm using Blade humbuckers in this one (single coil profile).  I want some kind of height adjustment to get the pups at the right height.  Should I just pick up some springs from Stew Mac or a local tech?  Or, is there a better way?
I mount mine solid to the body, no springs. I put the pup's in loose and string it up, then use washers under the tabs to shim up to the height I want. It's a bit more time consuming, but it mounts the pup's directly to the wood. Instead of floating on springs.... :dontknow:

I think there are even people who machine a wooden shim of the correct height and glue it in, then screw directly to that. Personally I'd use one of these - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Metal_Mounting_Rings_for_Single-coil_Pickups.html 

Blue313 said:
Sweet neck!

Springs or foam will do the job to get the adjustability.  You'll have to widen the holes in the pickup so they can slide freely though.

Thanks!  I would have liked the grain to continue down the back of the neck but no big deal.  I chose that one because the headstock grain will match the body well I think.

I mount mine solid to the body, no springs. I put the pup's in loose and string it up, then use washers under the tabs to shim up to the height I want. It's a bit more time consuming, but it mounts the pup's directly to the wood. Instead of floating on springs.... :dontknow:
[/quote]

Hmm.  I think I like this idea.  I may try this.  

Not sure about those pup rings on the top of my fiddle though tfarny.  Don't think that's for me, ...but I'd have to see it on an actual guitar to make a final decision.

tt0511 said:

Hmm.  I think I like this idea.  I may try this.  

Not sure about those pup rings on the top of my fiddle though tfarny.  Don't think that's for me, ...but I'd have to see it on an actual guitar to make a final decision.
[/quote]Some say that it transfers the vibrations into the body...And I've read that's how EVH like's his pup's mounted, solid to the body. That's how EB did the EVH sig's and the Axis models...

tfarny said:
I think there are even people who machine a wooden shim of the correct height and glue it in, then screw directly to that. Personally I'd use one of these - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Metal_Mounting_Rings_for_Single-coil_Pickups.html 
No,no,no....the tone worms won't be able to feel the vibrations....
ohmygod.gif

DangerousR6 said:

Hey Doug,
maybe an obvious question, but I don't think I ever mounted a pickup directly in the body - how do you make sure you won't screw it through the back of the body?

Markoooooo said:
DangerousR6 said:

Hey Doug,
maybe an obvious question, but I don't think I ever mounted a pickup directly in the body - how do you make sure you won't screw it through the back of the body?
Very careful measurements......For hums it's best to not have the plunge cuts in the pup rout's, that way you have plenty of wood. But if the plunge cuts are already there, then I usually make some plugs to fit in the plunge cuts... :icon_thumright:

I have a question.  I have put 3 coats of Tru Oil on the body so far.  I've been so busy and haven't been able to put another coat on since Sunday evening.  There's no problem waiting that long between coats is there?  I don't imagine there would be but want to be sure!  It's starting to really pop and it's getting some gloss and depth.  Can't wait till coat, 10, or 20 or whatever it takes for me to say "finished".  :toothy10:

I dont know about oils, but with poly and stuff, if you wait that long you just have to lightly sand it, then spray. But im no expert hahaha.

Back