Golden Pau P

MortenB

Here are a ton of pictures of my P bass, love the thing..! I wanted a ''classic look with a twist''. The classic being the shoreline gold and the tort guard, as I understand it that is a 1959 Fender combination. The twist being the quatersawn Pau Ferro neck, with Pau Ferro fretboard... I simply love these raw necks, and the colors of the body and neck blend so nicely.

I started out with a white pick guard on it, but in the end preferred the tort. Here is the build list:

Body:
Alder - shoreline gold
Mørch - Rock n' Roll Man pick up  (small Danish company, he does amazing stuff).
Jupiter - tone cap
Carbon pots
Crome knobs
Warmoth tort guard
Gotoh crome bridge
Schaller strap locks

Neck:
Quatersawn pau ferro, with pau ferro fretboard
Cream face dot's  (for once these match the body of the bass)
Steel rods
SS6150 frets
White corian nut
Hipshot ultralite tuners

Here are some pics from the build, and the finished bass..

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 610
More pics of the process...

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_3651.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_3661.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 598
Quatersawn Pau Ferro is nice...

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_5217.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_5206.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 602
The finished bass... I have it strung with flats now and it sounds amazing when played with a pick and a bit of tube overdrive on my GB Streamliner amp...

Attachments

• IMG_5199.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_5636.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 629
It's funny how this doesn't look as good as it did a couple of months back - when it wasn't in the same GOM as mine!

Kidding of course. Still love this bass. Amazing how much better it looks with the tort guard.

Ha ha... Thanks Pete  :eek:ccasion14:

Yes, the pick guard makes a world of difference..! Actually I bought 3; White, Black and the Tort because initially I could not decide, but once the tort was on it was the obvious choice. I think the guard makes such a difference on these P basses because the P bass is so basic and minimalistic. So somehow the guard stands out more on these...

One word ........... Excellent  :headbang:

Class act !!

:kewlpics:

*Note to self .... must get down to finished Bass section more often  :headbang1:

Thanks, line6man and Uptown... I agree that there is some really special synergy going on between shoreline gold and pau ferro. For some reason it's really, really hard though to capture this synergy in pictures. Especially the shoreline gold is a very difficult color to photograph. To get it just right some prof light set-up is needed, and I don't have that, but I think the pics does represent the bass reasonably well.

Back