Gibson tosses around its weight

Gotta ask the question. Gibson is under Chapter 11 protection from bankruptcy. Where in heck does it get the $$ to chase potential trademark infringements? Shouldn't their main priority be to get out of Chapter 11 and pay off as much of their debt as possible?

They lost vs PRS, they only restricted Ibanez and Greco in their distribution through USA in their old Lawsuit Guitars case.... Surely their Board & it's Creditors would have been wary when the mention of suing other manufacturers given their past history?

Lawyers will be paid out of winnings or by the trustee.  Don’t worry about them.

Whenever I hear lawyers paying for radio spots for bankruptcy, I always wonder... there's got to be money to be made there, or they wouldn't be shelling out for radio spots, but ... seems like specializing in bankruptcy means chasing people who don't have any money.  :dontknow:

Gotta ask the question. Gibson is under Chapter 11 protection from bankruptcy. Where in heck does it get the $$ to chase potential trademark infringements? Shouldn't their main priority be to get out of Chapter 11 and pay off as much of their debt as possible?

They lost vs PRS, they only restricted Ibanez and Greco in their distribution through USA in their old Lawsuit Guitars case.... Surely their Board & it's Creditors would have been wary when the mention of suing other manufacturers given their past history?

The protection thing is settled, that was only in place until the judge made his ruling. Their creditors have been paid by order of the judge. Gibson has plenty of access to cash because it's backed up with assets.

I hate the term "lawsuit guitars" because there never was a lawsuit. Gibson's lawyers issued a "cease and desist" order, with the stipulation that a lawsuit would follow unless certain actions were taken by those receiving the order. Gibson should have tried that again, or simply sold a licensing agreement to companies making "copies". If you read the initial language - they are arguing over peghead design (gonna lose that one for sure), and body shapes (will probably lose that one).

I can't for the life of me figure out why they started this stupid action. It will do more harm than good.

I wonder if it is at all awkward around the office knowing that their Global Brand Ambassador rose to interplanetary stardom on the wings of.... a Les Paul copy.......

9e3542ab3dfda9a5202c5e4a0b8f1bc7.jpg

http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/guitars/59-les-paul-replica-built-by-kris-derrig/

AirCap said:
I can't for the life of me figure out why they started this stupid action. It will do more harm than good.

Filing suits is cheap. It's defending against them that can be costly. If they don't prosecute infringements, they get a default judgement that invalidates the mark. So, the whole thing is really no skin off Gibson's nose. On the other hand, there may be an apparently intangible social cost they may not be considering. That's a management/marketing decision, and if those guys are insensitive to those things...

I was getting so heated at work about this whole thing last night. It steams my beans thst Gibs would try this stuff when they barely have the capacity to keep their own doors open. Oooooh I'm gonna sell my SG. I'm gon do it. I wrote a song for them!

"Psycho in my mind
Lunatic hysteria
Wake up in the morning
And I got diphtheria"
- from the Chronicles of Gibson

Given that Dean was making these guitars for 20 years before Gibson TM'd them, I can't believe the purpose of the suit is to actually win.  Seems to me to be a hail mary to get a licensing agreement, but that video indicates they want a death match.  This will be fun to watch.

DiMarzio sues over double cream bobbins:  "Meh"
MusicMan sues over 4x2 headstocks:  "Whatever"
Gibson does anything:  "Internet Riot!!!!!!!"

Wolfie351 said:

LOL....yes, it's kind of true.

I think the takeaway is that contrary to the popular expression, sometimes it is the messenger.

EDIT: I take that back. I've seen 20 page threads full of massive outrage over the DiMarzio double-cream thing. That one's definitely not a "meh".

What did he actually mean about putting tape on the name 'not being enough'?

I assumed he meant someone selling a chibson on ebay coving up where it says 'Gibson' wouldn't mean it was a sale that they would allow, or as the Guitologist video* on youtube says its about covering up Gibson on a genuine Gibson so Gibson can't take their cut?

* https://youtu.be/eGLaN9kBlq8?t=197

amigarobbo said:
What did he actually mean about putting tape on the name 'not being enough'?

I assumed he meant someone selling a chibson on ebay coving up where it says 'Gibson' wouldn't mean it was a sale that they would allow, or as the Guitologist video* on youtube says its about covering up Gibson on a genuine Gibson so Gibson can't take their cut?

* https://youtu.be/eGLaN9kBlq8?t=197

No...he's talking about people taping over the logos of instruments used by musicians who appear on live television programs. This is sometimes done to prevent manufacturers from getting free advertising they have not paid for.

For example: some band makes an appearance on The Tonight Show. Keyboard player's keyboard says "Yamaha" on the back in big white letters. Producer tapes over it.

spe111 said:
People need their two minutes hate. It's just the way humans are.

Mine started 1:15 ago....45 seconds to go. My outrage is starting to weaken, but I think I still have enough in the tank for one more big tantrum.

Ideas, anyone?

Straw / Kettle / Black.

Next...

https://reverb.com/item/24118013-epiphone-stratocaster-copy-1990-s-3-tone-burst?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgLLoBRDyARIsACRAZe5mrX2u6M8JSPes6lMB60rul4YFSS6V5marpUZBenhA1IuUweJMMtQaAmOaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Straw / Kettle / Black.

Next...

https://reverb.com/item/24118013-epiphone-stratocaster-copy-1990-s-3-tone-burst?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgLLoBRDyARIsACRAZe5mrX2u6M8JSPes6lMB60rul4YFSS6V5marpUZBenhA1IuUweJMMtQaAmOaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

Bwahaha even with a straight neck it still has a broken headstock!!! ROFL

-VB- said:
I wonder if it is at all awkward around the office knowing that their Global Brand Ambassador rose to interplanetary stardom on the wings of.... a Les Paul copy.......

It's actually quite common for an endorser to have a 3rd party luthier make a guitar to factory specs.

Wolfie351 said:

Maybe double creams are just out of fashion, but DiMarzio's petty iron fisted grip on them infuriates me to no end.

Back