Gibson tosses around its weight

Maybe it's just me, but it seems by that logic that the LP is done as well. I'd mistake a "V" for a Gibson a lot faster than an LP. Everybody and their brother makes an LP copy - you have to look at the headstock logo to know it it's a Gibson.

Rick said:
At least the flying V shape in Europe is done. 
https://guitar.com/news/gibson-loses-flying-v-trademark-case-in-eu-court/

Wait, wait, wait....let me make sure I understand this correctly.

So....if a competitor makes a V-shaped guitar, Gibson has no claim. However, it if that competitor puts a picture of that V-shaped guitar on their merch (t-shirts, keychains, etc), then Gibson does?

What the...?

Well..… After getting the crap slapped out of them for 2 weeks, Gibson is changing tactics and trying to be nicer.....
https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-shifts-from-confrontation-to-collaboration-in-copycat-row

Didn't I say awhile back they should just ask everyone for a dollar for every trademarked item sold or used, and send the lawyers off to eat Shazam? That should be a win-win for all involved.

I know what happened.      The lawyers are engaged in chest thumping convinced there's no way they can lose and then along comes Europe and they lose!  They thought they were going to win and they were gearing up for the European decision and then.  Whoopsie.  Whoopsie is a legal term for a bad legal strategy.

I read that whoopsie in my head in the voice of Daniel Day Lewis playing the butcher in Gangs of New York
LOL

Cagey said:
Maybe it's just me, but it seems by that logic that the LP is done as well. I'd mistake a "V" for a Gibson a lot faster than an LP. Everybody and their brother makes an LP copy - you have to look at the headstock logo to know it it's a Gibson.

And the LP was pretty much a standard guitar shape, at the time, only solid.

mvoYEEQynAaTVckYPKCSvjQ.jpg

I want one of those futuristic Stratocaster thingies, not a little heavy version of dad's guitar, it's Trad, daddio!

[/1950's teen idol]

So does this mean Warmoth will go back to those Thunderbürd, and Flying Vee shapes?

To customers in Europe anyway?  :evil4: :evil4:

Gibson shifts "from confrontation to collaboration" in copycat row

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-shifts-from-confrontation-to-collaboration-in-copycat-row

If they made it in Lumberton, NC they could call it a Flying Bee.

amigarobbo said:
So does this mean Warmoth will go back to those Thunderbürd, and Flying Vee shapes?

To customers in Europe anyway?  :evil4: :evil4:

Not likely.  Warmoth will most likely maintain a consistency in their worldwide marketplace.  It's too easy to cause confusion when posting things on a website with a caveat ala : "Not Available IN USA". 

Better to prevent confusion by offering consistent messaging.

A new development:  Dean counter sues and seeks trademark cancellation.  Also alleges some nasty dealings with Dean dealers.

dean-files-countersuit-against-gibson-seeks-trademark-cancellations

Back