Gibson scale: 6150 v 6100 frets

hchoe741

Planning on ordering a conversion neck for a jazzmaster, and I'm torn between 6150 and 6100 frets.

I have a Warmoth strat that I love with 6100 frets, standard thin, and 12" radius fretboard. I'm wondering if 6100 might feel too crowded on a 24.75" scale neck?

Planning on ordering a conversion neck for a jazzmaster, and I'm torn between 6150 and 6100 frets.

I have a Warmoth strat that I love with 6100 frets, standard thin, and 12" radius fretboard. I'm wondering if 6100 might feel too crowded on a 24.75" scale neck?
I have a conversion neck that I was worried about the same thing you are. I ended up getting 6115’s on. Plays great, but if I could go back I would just go 6100 on there is plenty of room. The pointy 6115’s are nice too though.

I have a conversion neck that I was worried about the same thing you are. I ended up getting 6115’s on. Plays great, but if I could go back I would just go 6100 on there is plenty of room. The pointy 6115’s are nice too though.
That's good to know! Thx

This, to a tee.

The ss6115 frets on my new short scale boatneck are the best frets I've ever used.

6105 and 6100 feel like speed bumps when sliding.

6150 is good, but the 6115s are better for slides and articulation. IMO, of course

This, to a tee.

The ss6115 frets on my new short scale boatneck are the best frets I've ever used.

6105 and 6100 feel like speed bumps when sliding.

6150 is good, but the 6115s are better for slides and articulation. IMO, of course

This is exactly how I feel. 6150 are my fav's. 6115 are easier to move up and down the neck on. 6100 and 6105 are too tall.

My $.02. YMMV.

But aren't Warmoth 6105 and 6150 the same height? Just different width

Yep, you're right. Narrower 6015 just feels taller to me. It's more "clickety-clackety" when I run my hand up the neck, if that makes any sense. It's insane how our senses can detect such small differences.

I have seen them but not played them before. I think originally they were intended for basses.? HUGE
Yes I think so. I got the guitar second hand, I keep it strung with large strings and tuned down like a Baritone.

Biggest frets I've ever owned were on a PRS DGT, and I hated them. I kept "zinging" my fingertips. That thing that sometimes happens when you press too hard on a string with no fretboard right behind it and get, like, I "micro-bruise" on your fingertip that hurts for a couple days.

You guys know what I am talking about, right?

Can I get an amen?

Am I alone in this experience?

Anyone?

Biggest frets I've ever owned were on a PRS DGT, and I hated them. I kept "zinging" my fingertips. That thing that sometimes happens when you press too hard on a string with no fretboard right behind it and get, like, I "micro-bruise" on your fingertip that hurts for a couple days.

Can I get an amen?

Anyone?
Completely understand, the neck mentioned above is an offender. Is that why you like 6150s? A Goldilocks of fret sizing?

Can I get an amen?

Anyone?
The DGT has 6100 frets I believe, so that sounds about right.

No amen from me though lol

Can I get an amen?

Anyone?
I can't give an amen on that, but I can get you a hootenanny strap!

This is exactly how I feel. 6150 are my fav's. 6115 are easier to move up and down the neck on. 6100 and 6105 are too tall.

My $.02. YMMV.
The 6115s are crazy good!
6150 is a close second to me.

Yep, you're right. Narrower 6015 just feels taller to me. It's more "clickety-clackety" when I run my hand up the neck, if that makes any sense. It's insane how our senses can detect such small differences.
i did 6105s on my 59 necked strat. The gloss knocked the height down some, compared to my ec401v. Now THOSE 6105 are not even in the speed bump realm. There more like those walls that the troops scale in basic training.

Can I get an amen?

Anyone?
Uh, no just you. :cool:

Lemme guess, you get a lot of paper cut too, right? Lol

I've been a 6150 guy for decades (and pretty much still am), however I ordered my most recent neck (which I'm still waiting on) with 6115. I made this decision because about 25 years ago, I played a custom Tom Anderson Strat with frets that were peaked, unlike any frets I ever experienced before. I never knew what size they were, but they were so cool. I don't know how long Warmoth has been offering 6115 fretwire in stainless steel, but when I saw them, I had to get 'em, and they're still smaller than 6100, so I should be happy with them. I have 2 ESP guitars with 6100, and while they aren't terrible, they're just not my first choice. If I decide to build a bass, that will get 6100 frets.

Last edited:
And while we’re piling on certain frets, I’ve had necks with 6230 and 6130 and I just could not bond with them. Why .... I can’t remember that was 25+ years ago. I was on a vintage guitar kick and I guess there’s a reason they’re vintage. I’ve settled into either 6150 or 6105. That said, I had akorean made tele once, that had little tiny frets and we got along fine. Sometimes something that shouldn’t be right is actually good. It’s the mojo at work. Kam sah om ni dah (Thank you very much honorable guitar)

Last edited:
Anyone else ever play a YJM strat? I believe that not only has 6000 fret size, but it's a deeply scalloped fretboard! The newest iteration of that sig model has scallops even deeper than the Warmoth scallops. As a big fan of deep scallops, I like a playing experience where you barely if ever touch the fretboard. You develop a really light touch to avoid the bruising and so you don't push notes sharp. My favorite Warmoth offering is the 6100 but I'd take 6000 if that was an option. The way you can really dig into bends and vibrato is amazing.

Back