GFS Xavier Tele Roller Bridge

guitartom said:
One option of the TUSQ nuts comes with TUSQ string tee's.

I have learned that a better option is to use staggered tuning machines, which allow you to discard the string trees altogether.

Jacobz06 said:
guitartom said:

I have learned that a better option is to use staggered tuning machines, which allow you to discard the string trees altogether.

That's the better way to go. String trees are a fix for another problem that causes a problem of their own. Best to dispense with them altogether.

Cagey said:
Jacobz06 said:
guitartom said:

That's the better way to go. String trees are a fix for another problem that causes a problem of their own. Best to dispense with them altogether.

I second that.  Staggered (or all short) tuners are my preferred option.

An Update:

I replaced the stock units with Fender locking staggered tuning machines and removed the string trees.

photo3_xga-0.jpg

I then lubricated the tremolo bushing and rollers with a bit of engine rebuild lithium lube.

photo6_xga-0.jpg

I also replaced the factory nut with a TUSQ nut.  Interestingly, the TUSQ pre-cut nut for a Telecaster required shimming to reach the required height.

photo4_xga-0.jpg

I used one slice of stiff business card (about 3.5 mm) as a shim.  A new set of Elixir strings and the guitar behaves well.

Also shimmed the neck with a business card folded in half.

photo5_xga-0.jpg

Sustain is improved and the tuning issues have virtually disappeared.  I'm not sure if the vastly improved sustain is due to the nut or the Elixir strings, but I'll take it.  Thanks to the folks here for your helpful suggestions.

Jacob

Back