GAS Alert!!!!

drewfx said:
Hope it all gets worked out for you.

It's kind of bitter sweet.  The double MM pickups were no charge, but the 5-way switch and truss rod trench route were special items that required a "hold on while I check", and one of those ended up being an upcharge.  Either way, I was guaranteed something that was a little more than something there was a million of.  But, I just got off the phone with Rob and he was able to catch it before it went to finishing, so atleast there won't be 2 of them floating around.  I'm glad someone on the forum got it because I wouldn't have known what happened to the first one.  Rob didn't even know.  He was just told it was non-repairable.

FWIW, I'm used to Warmoth's neck joints being tight, but I couldn't even get one side started in that bad boy.  And that was a neck with no finish.

Now, how to have the new one finished?  Any suggestions?

Helluva discount to tolerate something you're likely to do yourself the first week you have the thing.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Either way, I was guaranteed something that was a little more than something there was a million of.  But, I just got off the phone with Rob and he was able to catch it before it went to finishing, so atleast there won't be 2 of them floating around.

I can tell you that, based on your picture, this one will be done up a bit different in a number of ways - PU's poles won't be exposed, much different controls, different headstock, etc. - more like a cousin than a twin.

Now, how to have the new one finished?  Any suggestions?

Nothing too conservative, obviously. I like the Amber, but might try Tigers Eye or something else with a wraparound/burst. I really like certain finishes, but they don't always work out in every situation so I usually have to play around in Photoshop to decide.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Have you thought of strap button placement yet?  There's 3 obvious locations, and the Ibanez versions have them right on the point or on the underside of it.

After I ordered it I Googled for images to see what others were like, but nothing beyond that.

But this one's pretty heavy, so I'm hoping the location won't be too critical to get a somewhat reasonable balance (I'm used to a certain amount of dive on some of my basses, so personally I just need it to be reasonable).

I was going all passive on this one and Line6man helped me out with a superswitch wiring diagram.  5-way, even when splitting coils, all positions parallel humbucking. That one was supposed to have to have the Trans brown back burst over on the top like the Amber dye, trans brown back LPs in the showcase.  Originally, they thought they could refinish it, but the binding damage, being layered ivoroid made the repairs not cost effective.  Had I known they were gonna price it like that, believe me, I would've taken a partial refund.  You can thank UPS and Warmoth, and so can I.

Cagey said:
Helluva discount to tolerate something you're likely to do yourself the first week you have the thing.
That was my exact thought. 

I figured it was someone's custom order that got dinged since I've never really seen an Iceman in the Showcase since I've been following Warmoth. 

Kinda cool that it started and ended with forum members.

Iceman's and other exotic basses show up in the Showcase occasionally, but they're pretty rare and sometimes don't move for quite a while.

But here's another different bass that just showed up that makes me drool:

Bp1285A.jpg

drewfx said:
Iceman's and other exotic basses show up in the Showcase occasionally, but they're pretty rare and sometimes don't move for quite a while.

But here's another different bass that just showed up that makes me drool:

Bp1285A.jpg

Damn. 

I love Koa! But what is with all the bindings lately??
PS6691A.jpg

That's a beautiful peice of wood! And I admit I'm not a fan of bindings on wood like this (maybe on an occasional double bound Tele or something similar), but I'd have still bought it had it at least been black, but that cream binding sticks out like the pxxker on a poodle!  Ya missed a sale Warmoth!  :dontknow:

Then there was this nice Cocobolo...  :icon_scratch: Same thing in Ivoroid!  :dontknow:
PS6694A.jpg

Is it just me, or does anyone else find bindings like these objectionable?  :dontknow:

Ddbltrbl said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find bindings like these objectionable?  :dontknow:

Nope your Not alone  :icon_biggrin:

All thou .....
Since I ordered my Custom Alpine White Strat with Black binding,
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19269.0
I then started seeing a few more show up in the showcase ...... Go on blame me  :evil4:

I really like the look of binding on a strat ..... BUT ...
It's gotta be the right colour combo  :icon_thumright:
Some of those in the showcase (to me) are strange combo's  :icon_scratch:

I like Double Binding on a Tele, like these :icon_biggrin:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18899.0
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18930.0

I like Black Binding on bright solid colour bodies.
I like White Binding on Black bodies.
I don't mind Cream Binding, think thats best with SOME type of woods / stained / finishes.
(But don't like cream pup rings or cream dot inlays) .... go figure !!

If those one's Ddbltrbl posted pic's of, we're with black binding. they would look much better IMO.
Like this .... http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=LPCP284&Body=2&Path=Body

Any other colour of bindings  :dontknow:  just don't anything for me at all.  :sad1:
(I'm not talking about 'Natural Masked Binding') 

Oh boy ... those copperhead-finishes makes me wanna buy non-solid coloured bodies  :dontknow:

PS6702C.jpg

And speaking of bindings:

PT2722C.jpg

Vintage tint masked binding on a glossy black carved top tele looks very classy.  :icon_thumright:

Ddbltrbl said:
...Is it just me, or does anyone else find bindings like these objectionable?  :dontknow:
I like most guitar bodies/necks with binding. I prefer white/cream/natural than black binding.

Those are just links to the image files Warmoth has to load to run their online catalog. He's not using up any additional space at all. In fact, that uses less space than making an attachment. Linking to another server that holds an image is the preferred way to get images on the forum.

Back