GAS Alert!!!!

Jonesey said:
It's from a Dire Straits song called "Sultans of Swing." Check it out; it's somewhat of a classic. Though I know more than one person hates Knoppfler's tone on it (paging kboman).  :laughing7:

:toothy12:

Just FTR, I don't hate anything, I just don't find anything remotely attractive about that guitar sound.

kboman by Überschall said:
Just FTR, I don't hate anything, I just don't find anything remotely attractive about [Mark Knopfler's] guitar sound.

For as much as I like it now, I wasn't that impressed with it at first, either. But, the more you listen to it, the more magical it gets. Of course, it doesn't hurt that he's playing some really attractive compositions. For example, "Sultans of Swing" is one tasty piece of work, and the "Brothers in Arms" album is a must-have collection.

Since he doesn't use picks, there's never any severe attack on the strings, which makes it sound a bit off. Then, once you realize (or find out) that he's fingerpicking, you're surprised at how much attack he does get. His right hand fingertips have got to look like he's been doing maintenance on a running garbage disposal and reassembled with superglue.

I like ye olde tyme Mark Knopfler tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jFipMcNst0
original on right speaker, this guy on left

Well actually - I don't like a lot of attack and try to avoid it: it's a big reason to why I don't like "classic rock" (apart from the mountainous banality, but that's a different discussion). I want to hear the strings, not the pick! So that's something I feel he does right and is not "off" at all. But it's not my kind of music, so it doesn't really matter :)

I'm just not a str*t guy. I'm sure the guy in the above clip gets a "good tone", I just can't stand straight clean str*ts personally. No biggie.

Vintage Oak Aged kboman said:
...I don't like "classic rock" (apart from the mountainous banality, but that's a different discussion). I want to hear the strings, not the pick! So that's something I feel he does right and is not "off" at all. But it's not my kind of music, so it doesn't really matter :)

I'm just not a str*t guy. I'm sure the guy in the above clip gets a "good tone", I just can't stand straight clean str*ts personally. No biggie.

You blaspheme!

Diablo! Gertrude! Teach him the error of his ways!

Doberman-Pinschers.jpg

Why not? I could eat... where is he?

Back to GAS

$%28KGrHqUOKjkE29zTBlvOBN6-QhEETQ~~_12.JPG

It's funny, i thought my GAS was bad when i had money to burn - it's WAY worse now that i'm broke and unemployed

I have the money for an amp and a few pedals (which is what I really need now) and I've never been so indecisive in my life... And distracted my pretty much every single guitar I come across. Sigh. Such as...

...this gold sparkle Yamaha SG3000:
01_b.jpg

...this japanese Les Paul Gold top, this is a Greco:
rlg55vgt.jpg

...this waaay cool History ES-295:
01_b.jpg

...this Edwards Les Paul Custom:
Made-In-Japan-Edwards-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-0911-17-mmstudio@1.jpg

...the Hagström Viking Tremar:
hagstrom_tremar_viking.jpg

The Viking is a really likely future purchase though.

Hagstrom has some really sweet stuff. There's one shop in town that carries them, and I play one every time I go in there. Maybe some day I'll actually buy something.  :laughing7:

k-k-kboooman said:
I have the money for an amp and a few pedals (which is what I really need now) and I've never been so indecisive in my life... And distracted my pretty much every single guitar I come across. Sigh. Such as...

...the Hagström Viking Tremar:
hagstrom_tremar_viking.jpg

The Viking is a really likely future purchase though.

The guitar store I worked at for a while here in the UK has a few Hagstorms on the shelf. I distinctly remember the Les Paul-shaped one - It had 3 P90's and that same trem, and my god it weighed a tonne! I swear it was like 9 lbs - Second heaviest guitar I've ever held. (The heaviest was some cheapy bass made entirely of plastic)

dNA said:
Back to GAS

It's funny, i thought my GAS was bad when i had money to burn - it's WAY worse now that i'm broke and unemployed

That bass is cousin of my Tele... Too bad I'm broken...

FernandoEsteves said:
dNA said:
Back to GAS

That bass is cousin of my Tele... Too bad I'm broken...

it's up on ebay now

I have a 2HB Hagström Swede already (the LP copy) and it's wonderful. The neck is absolutely perfect for me and I find the weight, which on mine isn't too bad, to be kind of reassuring. What is too bad is that the truss rod stopped working... :tard:

I like heavy guitars. They just feel more solid, more reassuring. More willing to be wailed on. Guess no basswood Vs or chambered Strats for me. :laughing7:

Koa can be so pretty - I'll probably never have one, other stuff always grabs my eye - but here's a nice one.
ps5728a.jpg

Back