FRS / Gotoh swap - posts?

bonesofwrath

So i decided to swap out the Schecter/Floyd Rose Hot Rod Special w/ a Gotoh 1996T, but ...the posts.

A big part of the swap was about getting rid of the special saddles and studs. But they're not the same thread and not the same bushings. It looks like I'll also have to enlarge the deck part of the recess.

1) Do I need to swap the studs?
1b) How do I pull the bushings?

1a) Floyd studs are M7-0.5, Gotoh Studs are M8. The bushing is bigger too.
1b) was super easy. Drop a spacer into the bushing, followed by the screw, then crank. I was kind of worried about wallerin out the hole but it really didn't take much force to pop it out.

2) the Gotoh won't drop into a recessed Floyd Hot Rod Special route. I believe it's the same route as the OFR, just crappy saddles and knife edges. The bridge plate needs a tiny bit of enlargement. The Fine tuners need additional room to be determined by intonation. I've read there are shorter screws available.

I've removed the post, put a steel magnet in the hole (It doesn't need to be a magnet it was just some that I had. Then I screwed the post back in and it lifted out the bushing. I don't know if that's the official way to do it. I think stu mac may have a tool for this.

I got them out that way but I'm still trying to decide if I want to replace them. Some folks say it moves the bridge further back but it's only 1/2 the difference in diameter at the neck, not the bushing diameter - so it's maybe 0.1mm difference. I'm going to have to route anyway, but I may wait and see. Most fasteners are decent steel even when the rest is crap, so I'm going to wait and see.

Back