Fret Leveling a brand new neck?

Thanks all for the input. It looks like I won't be getting the parts until November or December, and I'll follow up on this then.  :headbang:

ArKay99 said:
Thanks all for the input. It looks like I won't be getting the parts until November or December, and I'll follow up on this then.  :headbang:

Hey there. How did your neck turn out?

I think there's some frustration in that some of us don't have to. After my build was complete and I'd played it a month or so, I took it in for a pro setup and mentioned to my luthier I had not levelled the frets. He told me he'd take a look and ended up working on only half of a single fret. I probably got an unreasonably nice neck out of the box and other mileages may vary. it's stories like these that give people a false hope, when I myself realize it's a far beyond normal result.

BeagJon said:
I think there's some frustration in that some of us don't have to. After my build was complete and I'd played it a month or so, I took it in for a pro setup and mentioned to my luthier I had not levelled the frets. He told me he'd take a look and ended up working on only half of a single fret. I probably got an unreasonably nice neck out of the box and other mileages may vary. it's stories like these that give people a false hope, when I myself realize it's a far beyond normal result.

Most Warmoth users say that if one doesn't play with low action then out of the box a Warmoth neck's fretwork would be fine. How low is low?

adrianb said:
Most Warmoth users say that if one doesn't play with low action then out of the box a Warmoth neck's fretwork would be fine. How low is low?

Now that aspect I couldn't speak to. I'm sure bass is somewhat different and 'low' is relatively different between each instrument. I like my bass action slightly higher than the low setting that most enjoy. After initial setup it was hard not to fret from 19-24, but after the setup all the frets are usable.

BeagJon said:
adrianb said:

Now that aspect I couldn't speak to. I'm sure bass is somewhat different and 'low' is relatively different between each instrument. I like my bass action slightly higher than the low setting that most enjoy. After initial setup it was hard not to fret from 19-24, but after the setup all the frets are usable.

I like my action about 1.6-1.8mm measured from the 17th fret (Strat body). I'm hoping that's not too low that the frets would need a fret level.

ArKay99 said:
Hi all. My first post. I've been lurking a bit. I just bought a full Warmoth Strat build I'm  putting a set of Fishman Fluence pickups in. The neck is a modern construction roasted maple with black ebony fingerboard and stainless frets. I was wondering if members who have had necks from Warmoth do a fret leveling out of the box. I have all the tools to do it with. So no problem there, although I've never had the 'pleasure' of working on stainless frets...Thanks!

You Do Not file level frets on a new Warmoth neck. String it up and play it and give the neck/wood time to settle. Later all you probably need is a fret rocker to locate high frets that can be seated with a suitable neck support and a suitable soft faced mallet, etc.

Depending on the fret height determines how much rolling the board edges require. Use a 7.5 radius block starting with stick-on 220 to roll the edges from the first fret tapering off around the 14th fret. Too much rolling and the strings can roll off the neck depending on the nut width. Next the fret ends are dressed using proper files and polishing techniques that can only be learned over time. You can use a black marker on the crowns to help determine high and low points, etc. Polish the frets using a blade type diamond crown tool wrapped with various grades of cloth backed micro-mesh.

Always practice on a beater neck first because generally if you have to ask questions about frets then you should not be fooling with frets, it'll only turn into frustration, lost time and money. Anyone telling you different does not know what they are talking about. In the meantime while you are enjoying your out of the box neck find someone who does good fretwork and setups and absorb some of their knowledge.

My bruh, it's rare that i need any fretwork on a new W neck. i will soften the ends a bit but a level is almost never necessary for me.

why not string er up first and see how she does? plus its a good idea to get some tension on it b4 leveling cuz you never know how a neck is gonna settle IMO

Back