Floyds on Strats

I'm thinking of putting together a Warmoth Strat with a non-recessed OFR and locking nut.

how much of the "Strat sound" is taken away by Floyd trems?

thanks

I can't answer your question directly as none of my Strats are built to have a Strat sound.  However, one of them has a Seymour Vintage Rails in the middle slot and it sounds pretty Stratty to me in that slot.

The reason for my posting is this:  are you sure you want your Floyd non-recessed.  If so, remember that you have to have an angled neck pocket and the neck angle will be more like a Les Paul than a Strat.  Also, one good pull-up on the Floyd if not recessed may damage the finish under the locking bolts.

Nothing wrong with non-recessed, just food for thought.

David Gilmour had one put on his main black Strat and you can see where the route was filled back in when he pulled it and went back to a regular Strat tremolo. That should tell you everything you need to know on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jp4PFzOCwE

of course, his floyd is mounted to the stuff they make bowling balls out of...  :laughing7:

jackthehack said:
David Gilmour had one put on his main black Strat and you can see where the route was filled back in when he pulled it and went back to a regular Strat tremolo. That should tell you everything you need to know on the subject.

Didn't he also have EMGs in that Strat?  I'm not quite sure that classifies as "Strat sound," anyway.   :icon_scratch:

GoDrex said:
of course, his floyd is mounted to the stuff they make bowling balls out of...  :laughing7:

Sounds pretty Stratty to me.  :icon_biggrin:

DocNrock said:
Didn't he also have EMGs in that Strat?  I'm not quite sure that classifies as "Strat sound," anyway.   :icon_scratch:

Actually, the EMGs were in his red strat.  But I think they both sounded very "stratty."  David Gilmour's sound is exactly what I think a strat *should* sound like.

DocNrock said:
I can't answer your question directly as none of my Strats are built to have a Strat sound.  However, one of them has a Seymour Vintage Rails in the middle slot and it sounds pretty Stratty to me in that slot.

The reason for my posting is this:  are you sure you want your Floyd non-recessed.  If so, remember that you have to have an angled neck pocket and the neck angle will be more like a Les Paul than a Strat.  Also, one good pull-up on the Floyd if not recessed may damage the finish under the locking bolts.

Nothing wrong with non-recessed, just food for thought.
Doc is correct, the neck pocket has to have a 2 deg angle cut in it..It's really not that noticeable, the Les Pauls have a much more drastic angle. I have a non-rececesed floyd on my Warmoth VW and it's fine. But I also have it blocked so that it can't be pulled up to keep from damaging the body..

jackthehack said:
There's a cure for that, DON"T PULL UP!!!!

Xplorervoodoo said:
DocNrock said:

Actually, the EMGs were in his red strat.  But I think they both sounded very "stratty."  David Gilmour's sound is exactly what I think a strat *should* sound like.

maybe in the old days - but his later sound was much different

DangerousR6 said:
jackthehack said:

But then you lose half of the fun of a Floyd!  :icon_biggrin:

I think on any bar you should at least be able to pull up a whole step. Some people don't like to risk it but I like it that way.

GoDrex said:
I think on any bar you should at least be able to pull up a whole step. Some people don't like to risk it but I like it that way.

At least a whole step, if not two steps.  :icon_thumright:

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:
jackthehack said:

But then you lose half of the fun of a Floyd!   :icon_biggrin:
This is true to some extent, if I remove the block I can pull up about a half step. But I usually don't get wild and crazy with that guitar anyway. I got my Jacksons for that... :laughing7:

I'm certainly not strong enough to do a 2 WHOLE step bend. That's like an A to C#. Really the most I ever do is a whole step. Like from and A to a B for example.

I can do a two step bend, but not while riffing anything fast.  I have to slow and prep for it.  My hand, forearm, and body go into it.

DocNrock said:
I can do a two step bend, but not while riffing anything fast.  I have to slow and prep for it.  My hand, forearm, and body go into it.
Just give it the old Steve Vai.....grab that bitch by the bar and yank it in the air......
crackup.gif

DocNrock said:

ok I tried it and I can do it but I guess it never comes up in my limited repertoire.

GoDrex said:
DocNrock said:

ok I tried it and I can do it but I guess it never comes up in my limited repertoire.

And no broken strings, right?

Dude, I've heard your sound clips.  I'll tell you right now your "limited repertoire" blows mine away.  There is a reason I haven't posted any sound clips of my guitars.

Back