Floyd string retainer

Wana_make_a_guitar

Right, so I got a Warmoth style 13 angled pro neck and it has a Floyd nut, and I've got a string retainer which is the full length bar type. Do I need it or not?

if it's got an angle already
then no :)
that retainer is used on straight necks, not angled
same reason you don't need string trees in a strat if you got an angled neck

The  reason for the string retainer on a floyd is simply this: it's there to hold the strings flat down against the bottom of the locking nut,
If the strings are not held down against the bottom half of the nut, the tunning will go sharp when you tighten the clamp, it's a pain in the ass which all of us with self set up locking nuts have learned

Even when you think the retainer is low enough, often times it is not, the proof is when you tighten the clamp and the strings go sharp.

Well put.   :icon_thumright:

You'll find out fast enough, and even then its a 5 minute install.

Ang3lus said:
if it's got an angle already
then no :)
that retainer is used on straight necks, not angled
same reason you don't need string trees in a strat if you got an angled neck

Ibanez and other similar brands that have locking nuts and angled headstocks have the long, solid bar type string retainer.  On those, because of the angled headstock, I don't think they're necessary though.  I don't even think they're necessary on straight necks if the tuners are low profile enough to give a steeper break over angle at the nut.

Well, I found out I still need it, so I drilled some holes and installed it, but I didn't drill the holes deep enough and ended up burling up the screws while trying to put them in :doh:. I'll get some new ones some, but I'm not phased by the fact that the strings go sharp, it's just a 2 minute (or less) job to tune the strings down on the bridge.

Back