Odd G string buzz

Peatonuto

So i've been setting up guitars for over a decade now but i've currently ran into an issue which i cannot figure out. I hope someone here can provide some insights.

I'm getting specifically an open G string buzz (yes, the G string once again my friends)

I filed the G string nut slot on a fender strat style nut down to its ideal height. I've taken into consideration the nut slot angle, width and depth which should all be good according to my experience. In fact i slotted all 6 string slots and dont have an issue with the other 5 strings.

Now the weirder part is that it only buzzes when the string is perfectly (or almost) in tune to G. When tuned down lower or higher than G, the buzz disappears.

I also tried refilling the nut slot and reslotting but to no avail

Does the buzz go away when pressing on the string behind the nut?

Yes but only because the pitch of the string goes up. When i press the string behind the nut, the tuning goes up to around a G#, where the buzzing is gone.

But when i tune down the string to a F# and press the string behind the nut where the tuning goes up to a G, the buzzing is there despite the string being pressed.

My best guess is that the oscillation of the string in that exact G tuning is whats causing it but I could be wrong

Try changing that string. I have had strings get a kink even a little one and they do weird stuff. If I have everything else "right" and there is still an issue then I will swap that string or strings out and see if it goes away.

Yes, probably worth changing the string.

If the symptom still occurs, there must be some sort of sympathetic vibration going on somewhere, but that should also perhaps occur with a G of the same pitch fretted.

Do you hear the buzz coming out of the speaker? Or is it just a sympathetic vibration with something loose on the inside of the guitar? Is it an electric guitar? acoustic? Need more info, and maybe some pics, depending, for diagnosis.

Last edited:
Do you hear the buzz coming out of the speaker? Or is it just a sympathetic vibration with something loose on the inside of the guitar? Is it an electric guitar? acoustic? Need more info, and maybe some pics, depending, for diagnosis.
Yes, its coming through the amp as well which is why it was an issue that needed to be addressed. My guitars are usually setup with some mechanical buzz for low action but unheard through the amp. Its a fender MIA strat by the way

Thanks for the advices about changing the string. It worked! It was a pretty new set of strings (less than a week), which was why it never crossed my mind to change them.

I can't tell using my naked eye but there must have been a micro kink or some form of wear on the string where the slot supposed to be, causing this buzz.

All is good now and i can finally sleep in peace. Cheers guys! Hope this thread will be able to aid others in the same situation as well

Defective ones can occur on all brands. There is only one brand I’ve sworn off on. Ernie Ball. Only strings to break while playing I’ve experienced.

Defective ones can occur on all brands. There is only one brand I’ve sworn off on. Ernie Ball. Only strings to break while playing I’ve experienced.
Speaking about Ernieball, I used to solely use them for a couple years. However, there was a period of time where i kept noticing rusted spots on the unwounded strings (ernie ball slinkys) of new packs. I bought 2 boxes of strings so that's 20 packets of defective goods.

Went back to the shop i got it from and was told to directly contact Ernieball about it. I tried emailing them but didnt get a reply from EBs customer service. Couldnt be bothered to argue anymore as they seem to be pushing the responsibility away to ernieball instead of handling the situation like any normal shop should. They should be the ones dealing with EB, not me lol\

After that negative experience, i've been using Elixirs ever since.

Last edited:
Yep I've had similar quality issues with Ernie Ball. My go to these days for everything is D'addario.

D'addario are my goto. though once upon a time I got Dean Markley strings for free, and they weren't bad. Not saying D'Adds won't break ... just not as frequently

Another D’Addario user here. I did use Ernie Ball Slinkys for years on solid bodies but have since switched those to D’Addarios also.
The Jazz guitar just left the D’Addario Chromes behind. It now wears Thomastic Swings.
Seems to be another rabbit hole but worth the journey.

Necropost but I'll add this tidbit for posterity.

I had an H-gate humbucker that the unsupported H lips were buzzing. I was pulling my hair out thinking maybe my truss rod was rattling (has happened on this guitar and its a skunk stripe) Now that i know what it is I just ignore it, it doesn't seem to come through the pickup oddly enough.

Those dang buzzes! My AF200 pickups rattle intermittently on certain notes. They are adjusted low and have weak springs. I’ve got a wedge of notepaper taking care of it for now. It isn’t an issue at stage volume but I practice at a volume that allows me to hear the guitar acoustically as much as the amp.
Next string change I’ll fix the problem…hehhehheh!

Back