Floyd Rose plate material tonal differences

gingataff

Hi all,

I have a Charvel from 89/90. I recently put an EMG 81 in it and it has less high end than I expected and seems to have a mid honk almost like a cocked wah. Maybe that's the character, but I was expecting a more bright scooped sound.

It's always been quite a dark sounding guitar, has a 24 3/4" scale, and has a Schaller Floyd with the cast metal plate.
I've heard people say the Schaller is warmer or darker sounding than an OFR so I'm wondering about changing to either an OFR or Gotoh as they both have steel plates.

I know they won't technically fit the recess but I found these on e.b.a.y https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-SHORT-String-Lock-SCREWS-for-Floyd-Rose-Original-Special-Lic-Tremolo-Bridge/392264589063

Does the floyd plate material make such a difference?

It's always been quite a dark sounding guitar, has a 24 3/4" scale, and has a Schaller Floyd with the cast metal plate.
I've heard people say the Schaller is warmer or darker sounding than an OFR so I'm wondering about changing to either an OFR or Gotoh as they both have steel plates.
I wouldn't expect the plate to make all that much difference compared to a pickup swap, though it will likely brighten it up a bit.

Is there any chance the tone knob or cap is wired in incorrectly?

You could also try the EMG 18v mod and see if that helps.

I know they won't technically fit the recess but I found these on e.b.a.y https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-SHORT-String-Lock-SCREWS-for-Floyd-Rose-Original-Special-Lic-Tremolo-Bridge/392264589063
The shorter, thicker stock Schaller string lock screws will work fine in an OFR.  They will probably work in a Gotoh as well but I haven't tried it.

Out of curiosity, what model Charvel?

Thanks for the reply.
I don’t have a tone cap, and the wiring is the solderless amp harness so hard to make any mistakes. I’m also running at 18v.
I’m wondering if some of this is just in comparison to my strat, and I should compare with other humbuckers to be fair.

The guitar is a Charvel Fusion Custom. So you mean the lock screws I have will also fit an OFR? I had no idea, that’s cool.

So you mean the lock screws I have will also fit an OFR? I had no idea, that’s cool.
Yep, they should work just fine.  The only difference you might find is the fine tuner screws on the OFR will be a little taller, actually giving you more range but could possibly be uncomfortable depending how you play.  If it is an issue, you can also swap out the shorter fine tuner screws from the Schaller to the OFR.

gingataff said:
Hi all,

I have a Charvel from 89/90. I recently put an EMG 81 in it and it has less high end than I expected and seems to have a mid honk almost like a cocked wah. Maybe that's the character, but I was expecting a more bright scooped sound.

Does the floyd plate material make such a difference?

I've had and played them all. IMHO, Schaller trems are superior to OFR (even though Schaller makes them) or Gotoh. I prefer mine
with the steel spring plate removed and a nice brass block.

Schaller FR's are a more compact design and come from the factory with the short lock screws shown in your eBay listing.

(FWIW, I second the EMG 18v mod)

-ORC

Back