Floyd Rose going out of tune

exaN said:
That's great to know, thanks for the advice :).

My next guitar will definitely have a non floating trem :laughing11: .

They're easy to setup once you know how to do so efficiently & maintain them.

The recent Ibanez FR7 build that I did where Great Ape did the artwork, I had up & running in about 15-20 minutes after I put the electronics in it.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
exaN said:
That's great to know, thanks for the advice :).

My next guitar will definitely have a non floating trem :laughing11: .

They're easy to setup once you know how to do so efficiently & maintain them.

The recent Ibanez FR7 build that I did where Great Ape did the artwork, I had up & running in about 15-20 minutes after I put the electronics in it.

The only reason why I got a floating trem was to cover my bases because I thought I'd have a single guitar for a while... a year later I had 3 more :laughing11: .

At one time, I had 12 electrics & 1 Acoustic.
All the electrics were Floyded or licensed versions, ie; Ibanez Edge.

Now, I have 5 total, 3 electrics, a nylon, & an Acoustic.
2 of the Electrics are Floyded, One is a hardtail.

I like a lil of everything now.

exaN said:
DangerousR6 said:
-VB- said:
Are the strings going out of tune sharp? That most certainly indicates binding somewhere. The nut is a chief suspect as you mentioned. The tuners are also potential trouble spots if they are not locking and/or have excessive string wraps: the wraps will relax when the trem is lowered and when tension is restored they do not always seat quite as tightly as they were. A well cut nut and locking tuners properly wound will probably cure what ails you.
It's a Floyd, so most likely he has a locking nut and not locking tuners...

The nut is actually non locking, the tuners are though. It didn't go out of tune whatsoever before the string change so I think we can rule the tuners out. When going down and back to neutral, all the strings also go flat very very slightly (not noticeable), but the G string goes sharp just enough to make a difference (especially since the others go slightly flat). I think I'll widen the G string slot a tiny bit and see if that does it. Thanks!
While in theory you would think there shouldn't be any difference, the Floyd nut was designed to work with that bridge. I personally wouldn't use a Floyd without the locking nut.. :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
While in theory you would think there shouldn't be any difference, the Floyd nut was designed to work with that bridge. I personally wouldn't use a Floyd without the locking nut.. :dontknow:

Yeah I took a chance with Cagey's recommendation and doing some research to go with locking tuners only since I only use the trem lightly. It stayed in tune perfectly before I changed the strings and really it's only the G string giving me issue :dontknow: .

Cagey said:
It may just be a flakey string. Been known to happen.

Makes me think... in my experience, the G string always seems to be more prone to issues than any other string. Am I crazy?

No, you're not crazy. It's true. There's some technical reason for that, but I don't remember what it is.

Anyway, strings fail. Manufacturing defects, etc. I was just reading a thread somewhere the other day where a guy went about nuts trying to find a problem that turned out to not only be the string's fault, it was two strings in a row. Seems impossible, yet there it was. That in turn reminded me of a situation I had where two high E string both failed the same way in very short periods of time. I thought I had a bum bridge, but no. Bad strings.

Have you tried lubing the nut or adjusting it since the string gauge change?

Curious also why change the string gauge in the first place if it was working fine. You are not going to get any more tone out of 10-46 than 9-46.

stratamania said:
Have you tried lubing the nut or adjusting it since the string gauge change?

Curious also why change the string gauge in the first place if it was working fine. You are not going to get any more tone out of 10-46 than 9-46.

Oh I mostly like the way it plays better and it makes the high strings sound a bit meatier.

AirCap said:
There's some technical reason for that, but I don't remember what it is.

I was always told God didn't intend G strings to stay in tune.
And I was always told that un-wound G strings are an abomination, and that going out of tune is God's punishment for those who use them....  :evil4:

Back