Flloyd Rose Nut On Headless?

lusmic

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about trying a headless guitar build (don't hate me). 😏 I've never used a Floyd Rose locking nut before, but I was wondering if that might be a good option to hold the strings in place at the headstock. Basically, if a guitar has a locking nut, could you simply cut the headstock off if the tuners are at the bridge? The other option I'm considering is using a traditional style nut with a Hipshot headpiece behind it to lock the strings in place (pictured below). In theory, could the Floyd Rose kill two birds with one stone by acting as the nut and the mechanism that locks the strings in place? Not sure about the break angle of the strings with that route. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 4HH600LPB_800x.jpg
    4HH600LPB_800x.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
Why would anyone hate you for wanting to try a headless build?

Both ways have been done by others. Obviously the Hipshot is designed for the purpose. A FR nut will work and break angle is a non issue as there is no string angle in play.

I would suggest you take a look at TGP (The Gear Page) and do a search for headless builds from a user called Sirloin. If I recall correctly he has used both options.

I'm thinking about trying a headless guitar build (don't hate me).

We don't do hate on this forum, it's in the guidelines, be kind :)

Whichever way you go, perhaps document on this forum for the future reference of others looking for love and headless options.

Why would anyone hate you for wanting to try a headless build?

Both ways have been done by others. Obviously the Hipshot is designed for the purpose. A FR nut will work and break angle is a non issue as there is no string angle in play.

I would suggest you take a look at TGP (The Gear Page) and do a search for headless builds from a user called Sirloin. If I recall correctly he has used both options.

We don't do hate on this forum, it's in the guidelines, be kind :)

Whichever way you go, perhaps document on this forum for the future reference of others looking for love and headless options.
Thanks for the reply @stratamania! Yea I didn't really expect any hate on this issue.. kind of said that jokingly as headless guitars can be somewhat divisive among guitar players, and understandably so haha it took me years before I came around to the idea. You confirmed my initial expectations in regard to either method working sufficiently. I'll definitely check out that forum you mentioned now!

The issue with a Floyd rose nut is that you have to have two strings unlocked at a time which makes it tricky to hold the tension needed for stringing a headless. Also, the FR bridge's fine tuners don't have enough range to make it easy to bring up or down to the correct pitch. It could work but it would be hit or miss.

The issue with a Floyd rose nut is that you have to have two strings unlocked at a time which makes it tricky to hold the tension needed for stringing a headless.

That would not be an issue as you would place two strings at a time, lock them and then tune at the bridge end.

Also, the FR bridge's fine tuners don't have enough range to make it easy to bring up or down to the correct pitch. It could work but it would be hit or miss.

FR Bridge fine tuners indeed would not have enough range, but a FR bridge is not being asked about or suggested in this thread, only the locking nut.

Back