"flamed maple top" telecaster WTF

It is worth bearing in mind the prices of buying maple from a supplier to something provided by Warmoth will vary as the pricing model is different as Warmoth will also be adding in construction costs etc which a wood supplier will not be.

stratamania said:
It is worth bearing in mind the prices of buying maple from a supplier to something provided by Warmoth will vary as the pricing model is different as Warmoth will also be adding in construction costs etc which a wood supplier will not be.

True, but construction costs aren't a factor in the pricing of the unique choice selection:
- the standard curly/quilt tops also have to be re-sawn/surfaced/glued up/etc..
- a unique choice top is extra on top of that base price, and doesn't incur additional construction costs over a less figured piece of lumber.

Thus the premium we pay is mostly for the luxury of seeing what we'll get, paying the additional overhead handling those one offs (and also photographing and putting them up on the website), additional profits for Warmoth over the raw cost of materials (they're a business, no problem with that), etc...

BTW if you send your own lam top the handling fee is $65, or more if it needs more work than usual.

It's not necessarily that interesting cost-wise, but I decided to go this route last week as I hadn't seen any curly maple top I liked for months (too tight figuring and/or wood too dark):
Gf1WU9o.jpg

And while we're here let's enjoy a quilt top I got getting wet with alcohol:
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/H83KSboDlDs[/youtube]

DrSeb said:
stratamania said:

True, but construction costs aren't a factor in the pricing of the unique choice selection:
- the standard curly/quilt tops also have to be re-sawn/surfaced/glued up/etc..
- a unique choice top is extra on top of that base price, and doesn't incur additional construction costs over a less figured piece of lumber.

The base cost for a flame maple top is currently $75 and this is charged even if a Unique choice is ordered. So any construction costs must be in the base price. As you say if you send in your own Lam top you would end up paying $65 in handling. So perhaps costs of a none UC top of $75 to let Warmoth choose are $65 of handling/construction and $10 of material. But they are not going to choose from a pile of UC tops which may be contrary to what some may think or hope, as they do come at a premium.

I think we are both effectively saying the same thing from different angles. Unless you go UC or order from the showcase it is a gamble what someone will get and it may not meet the expectation built up by the person who ordered.

DrSeb said:
I'll do a 180 degrees turn on my earlier opinion.
I just looked at the graphic representation of the basic $75 flame maple top option on the new website:
uDwFSBJ.png

While there is a note saying figuring/etc will differ, it's very hard to deny that what is shown is setting up the customer for complete disappointment.
The top shown here would be a fine highly figured laminate top option, and no amount of wetting of the OP's top is going to make it look remotely as exciting.

They have just downgraded the appearance on the builder. Apparently they do take feedback seriously which is nice to see. I just got my order in and I will say the standard top is pretty fantastic.

Back