"flamed maple top" telecaster WTF

jkhv

Am I the only one shocked by this?  I can't type anything because I can't stop myself from swearing.  I wasn't after anything mind blowing but jesus. sending this back and waiting another 2 months.  I don't understand how this would be let out of a shop.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 753
I know you can't type anything, what with the swearing and all, but if you could somehow convey what you are complaining about it would help us all to try and relate. To the shock. #justrynahelp

Wet it with some naptha and you'll see, the naptha will simulate a finish temporarily...

But I like it, unless you paid for like a 3A top... :dontknow:

jkhv said:
Am I the only one shocked by this?  I can't type anything because I can't stop myself from swearing.

Not shocked. That maple features flame figure, you paid $75 for it, same as you would have for rosewood, ash, rock maple, etc. Sure, it's not quartersawn (neither is my quilt figured unique choice that's on order.

If you send it back, I imagine it will get finished and sold as an available tele body viz yours will likely finish up close to this currently in stock:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-213432~2.png
    Screenshot_20211009-213432~2.png
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 302
The flame won't show that well without a finish or some kind of surface wetting (not water). Have you tried wiping it down with napha? That will show the flame.

BTW, from what I can see in the photo it looks like once it's done it will be killer flame. 

You won’t know until it’s wetted with Naptha what’s there. Even before that you can see flame.

What’s the W suppose to do, call that regular maple? If I wanted regular maple and no flame, and got that, I’d be upset as there is obviously flame even before wetting.

I'd guess it's the rather 'splotchy' grain markings, especially that mark above the middle pickup, that the OP doesn't like.

Certainly no lack of figure there.

People always expect to get the really wild flamey/quilty maple from a standard selection, but if you really want a nice top you are going to have to shell out the extra dough for a unique choice. I knew if I didn't I would be disappointed by the level of the quilting - so I spent $300 and got one that is quilted enough to keep me warm during the winter!  :laughing3:

DrSeb said:
Looks perfectly fine to me for the base cost. What did you expect ? Seriously...
Exactly.  If I ordered plain maple and got that, which obviously has figuring, then I’d have an issue. 
So OP, how would you say to categorize that maple? It’s not plain, it’s not quilt. 

To put things into perspective below are all standard 'flame maple' tops from PRS's USA line ($4k+ these days).
Some look great, others not so much...

prs-core-cu2408-326882-d3__wwg.jpg

prs-core-cu2408-326684-d3__wwg.jpg

prs-sc594-323827-d3__wwg.jpg

prs-pg-325037-d3__wwg.jpg

prs-35thcu24-saphire-329922-d3__wwg.jpg

prs-core-hbii594-325325-d3__wwg.jpg

IgUXF5N.jpeg

Mayfly said:
The flame won't show that well without a finish or some kind of surface wetting (not water). Have you tried wiping it down with napha? That will show the flame.

BTW, from what I can see in the photo it looks like once it's done it will be killer flame.
I believe i said that.... :laughing7:

DangerousR6 said:
Mayfly said:

Sometimes the truth needs repeating  :)

Mayfly said:
DangerousR6 said:
Mayfly said:

Sometimes the truth needs repeating  :)
Yes it does... :icon_thumright:

I'll post here as well what I posted on the other thread where the OP vented about the 'garbage' he got (what he specifically ordered).

Allow me to expand on what was obvious pre-pandemic or to anyone not new to ordering from Warmoth:

"
The only times you used to get fantastic figuring for a good price was via Showcase items.
Back when the Showcase had hundreds of Strat bodies to pick from you could find a finished body with some of the higher grade curly/quilt maple tops for around $550-650 with natural masked edges.
That was the same cost you'd pay for a custom order with basic figured maple top, and 20-25% cheaper than a custom order with high grade laminate top choice.

Those days are gone for the time being with so few bodies to pick from.
If you want a good looking figured top at a decent price, then I'm sorry but a custom order with basic figure is absolutely not the route to go and is likely to disappoint you nearly every time.

There is no 'good deal' to be had until the Showcase gets replenished and demand craters.
"

I think we can call this a troll.  2 posts. The OP and the comment in the other thread linking here.

Hasn’t even been on the forum since those.

TBurst Std said:
I think we can call this a troll.  2 posts. The OP and the comment in the other thread linking here.

Hasn’t even been on the forum since those.
Or was likely embarrassed about making a big deal out of nothing.... :dontknow:

It is a little absurd that anyone would pretend that OP's top is acceptable. If that is what you should expect for the standard flame option, then either Warmoth should not offer it or they should make it very clear what to expect.

Back