Flamed maple/ Black Korina VIP---- PROGRESS!!!!

I finished the body, I used ultra-fine sandpaper to get rid of a few small scratches, then did one final coat, looks killer! The neck is just super concentrated Black waterbased Colortone dye from stewmac, I really dig how it's looking! I might put one more coat on the back of the neck and headstock, and then it's nitro time!
Here's a pic of the body and neck hanging in my music room closet:
3402412776_af92e47208.jpg

Why not just use the Deft from Home Depot? It's dirt cheap and works great, I've used it on two bodies and three necks. I think the stew mac stuff is rebadged anyhow.

tfarny said:
Why not just use the Deft from Home Depot? It's dirt cheap and works great, I've used it on two bodies and three necks. I think the stew mac stuff is rebadged anyhow.
+1, I've used semi gloss and satin Deft, couldn't be happier with the outcome. Great stuff... :icon_thumright:

not sure if you answered this or not....did you grain fill the korina or are you going for that natural look?

No grain filling, I'm only shooting a few thin coats of nitro over everything, I want to still feel wood! (umm, that sounded bad...) I chose Black korina for it's tonal qualities, not the awesome wood pattern. although, I think I will build a LPS and leave the black korina natural, for this VIP I wanted a mostly black, mean looking rock guitar

Here's some pics of the body after the first coat of nitro, I'm really happy with the colors I got using waterbased dyes. I'm doing a satin-finish BTW.

Still looks wet:
3408059133_ea2dc561c5.jpg

3408867114_11368c3f8f.jpg

some headstock pics:
3408059085_9db8cf4016.jpg

3408059107_a6610f9c91.jpg

Haha, yeah, I was too scared to do it, I practiced a ton of times on a magazine and finally just did it! It came out good though, I'm happy with it

Thanks! I think so too, I mixed some vintage amber dye in with the first 2 coats of black, and it turned out better than I expected!

Thats turning out great.  I wish I had the time to play around with finishing some guitars myself...someday.  Looks awesome though, great job!

Back